Children of the 30s 40s 50s 60s and 70s

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruthsy

Reaction score
A friend sent me this. Thought you might like it

Rx

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank
while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and
didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright
coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets
and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks
we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air
bags.

Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun.

We drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO
ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with
sugar
in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we
were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then
ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running
into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at
all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no
cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or
Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found
them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were
no lawsuits from these accidents .

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did
not live in us forever.

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told
it would happen, we did not poke out any eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door
rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard
of. They actually sided with the law!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem
solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new
ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And if you are are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to
grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives
for our own good and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know
how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors,
doesn't it?!

PS -The BIG type is because your eyes are shot at your age

LOL

Sooooooo very funny and sOOOOOOOOO very true

That is absolutely brilliant, the really bad thing is that I don't even find it funny, I just find it desperately sad!

How much are kids now missing out on! So many of my clients with children are so, so, so careful about germs n stuff, n Ok, I'm not a parent myself (not through choice) but I just sometimes think, let them play in dirt, let them eat worms, let them fall off swings! It builds up your body's immunity, not only to disease, but to life!

Sorry if I brought this thread down:eek: But as the original thread stated, all of us who lived through that lot, are still here!!!!!

That is absolutely brilliant, the really bad thing is that I don't even find it funny, I just find it desperately sad!

How much are kids now missing out on! So many of my clients with children are so, so, so careful about germs n stuff, n Ok, I'm not a parent myself (not through choice) but I just sometimes think, let them play in dirt, let them eat worms, let them fall off swings! It builds up your body's immunity, not only to disease, but to life!

Sorry if I brought this thread down:eek: But as the original thread stated, all of us who lived through that lot, are still here!!!!!

Me too

So true....I remember playing with pitch bubbles in the road on hot summer's days...we would spend all day popping them and getting tar/pitch all over our clothes. And nobody ran us over 'cos nobody had a car...:)

loved it... and it is how I try and make my kids live ( the 3 younger ones)... they run about outside all day...covered in dirt...fall down cut themselves ( tell them to shut up if they cry :smack: ), tell them to spit on their fingers to clean the cuts :lol: but on saying that they have all got mobiles, computer consoles, MP3's etc etc... it's very sad that they don't have the imagination to play with dolls and action men :cry:
When I was pregnant I never took folic acid, I ate pate and blue cheese and everything else you could think of ( love my food! ) Never had soft eggs though...euwwww :eek:

When my hubby complains about the dust I tell him I am building the immunities up for the children...a clean and sterile house don't make healthy children...not sure he believes me but I have stuck to it for over 20 years :lol:

I am a 70's child btw... my eldest daughter is an 80's child and I have had a child or two in each decade since...it's amazing the difference in them all...

xxx
p.s if I gave my 6 and 10 year old my empty Fairy liqiud bottles and told them to fill them with water and go outside for a water fight they would look at me like I had grown horns :eek: Not to mention if they squirted someone the parents would probably sue me for water damage to clothes...
and yet that was the favourite summer time game when I was growing up...the whole estate would join in ( even the parents ) and it would be the best fun...it would go on for hours and hours. All it cost was tap water and an empty plastic bottle!!! ( the poor mums though... I can remember all summer our fairy liquid would be sat in a beaker by the sink...) Did anyone else play this when they were growing up?
Now it's great big flourescent water guns that cost an arm and a leg...that break after an hours play :irked:

p.p.s that was a long P.S :zzz:

This is SO TRUE!! Im a child of the seventies

My mum smoked thru her pregnancy with me and my sis, makes me wonder how we survived with all those poisons being pumped into the placenta! yuk how b***dy selfish

but playing out til it got dark was ace

I darent leave my little one for more than a few seconds

Latest posts

Back