chinese herbal medicines - the info

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Lee

Reaction score
there was a thread recently about a geek asking about chinese herbal medicines... there seems to be a confusion in what it is and whether it actually serves its purpose i.e heal.

i thought i'll post this thread to allow my fellow geeks - who are interested -into some information about chinese herbal medicines.

the chinese has been using herbal medicines for over 2000 years and the reason why it is still exist and going strong today is because it does work. In china, chinese medicine is not an alternative form of treatment, but used in the state hospitals alongside modern western medicine.

basically, chinese herbal medicines are based on the concept of the 'ying' and the 'yang'. the chinese believe that in order for the human body to function properly, the 'ying' and 'yang' inside your body must balance.

The body is viewed as a microcosmic universe and the inner organs and their functions are classified according to their yin and yang properties. The relationship between the organs, is described in terms of the five elements :wood, fire, earth, metal and water.

The inner organs are paired off according to their yin and yang characteristics. For example, the kidney and urinary bladder form a pair and are linked to the water element. These relationships form the basis of diagnosis and treatment.
For example, water quells fire, so if there's a heart (fire) problem, underlying kidney deficiency may be diagnosed and treated.

Another central concept is that of 'chi' or vital energy. This is said to flow through a network of channels to vitalise the inner organs. When chi flows freely, there's a good balance between yin and yang in the body and good health. If chi becomes blocked or deficient, owing to dietary, lifestyle or other factors, disease will ensue.

if a problem arises i.e illness, then the doctors will diagnose the problem individually and sometimes will prescribe a treatment which is tailor-made to yourself. This is because every human body is individual and each person has a different amount of ying and yang in different parts of their body. this explains why one herbal medicine will work for one person but not another even though the two has the same illness and the same symptoms.

Chinese doctors will diagnose using four types of examination:

Observation - tongue analysis and facial characteristics
Listening - relates to the patient's voice and respiration.
Questioning - covers diet, sleep, excretion and symptoms.
Palpation - involves taking six pulses on each wrist, one for each inner organ, and interpreting the depth, speed, strength and quality of each.

then they will prescribe treatment accordingly. treatments will include herbal therapy, acupuncture, diet, lifestyle management.

chinese medicines has been used as a front line medicine by the many of the worlds population since before recorded history. adverse reaction to chinese herbs are very rare. the reason being that chinese herbal medicines were orginally invented as a form of 'prevent' rather than cure. which means that it is safe for people drink herbal medicines even if they havent got a problem. it is used to balance the 'ying' and 'yang' in their bodies to prevent illness.

chinese medicine is very complicated and i have to tried to explain this in a nutshell. i hope this will help my fellow geeks to have a little more understanding of what it is and not get freaked out about the horrid smell and weird lotions and potions..!:lol:

having said all this though, i want to emphasis one VERY important point - please do not assume that all herbal shops you see are genuine and qualified practioners. like nails, there are high standard salons and non standard salons. it is true that you do not know what you are drinking and putting into your body. chinese medicines will only work if it is true to its form and prescribed by a qualified and experience doctor. if you are interested in getting chinese medicine treatments for any reason then go through a recognised organisation such as 'the register of chinese herbal medicine'

http://www.rchm.co.uk/

this organisation was set up to regulate the practice of chinese herbal medicines in the uk. through this website, you are able to type in the practioners name and check to see if they are a member.

thanks for reading this geeks ( if you actually managed to get this far and not be bored yet..!) this took me ages to write. i hope it is useful to some of you. :hug:

fantastic information Anna, it must have taken you quite a while :hug:

wow Anna that was fascinating and not boring at all. My daughter has some Chinese brew for her eczema, but mer dad got it for her from London and they didn't actually see her. From what you have now written it seems that a face to face consultation is key. But the stuff when it was boiled up smelt like seomthing out of your worst night mare and we threw it straight out, and £100 down the drain!

Thank you so much and I can see the work that went into that post and really appreciate your time

You have really good knowledge about Chinese medicine, Anna. My grandad is a Chinese doctor, he used Chinese herbal medicine saved many lives, but he had this nasty stroke two years ago, seems nothing would work to get his life back to normal. When he had the stroke he was treating his last patient in his life, it is really sad:cry: (sorry this is a bit of the topic). Also, I would like to say, the Chinese herbal medicine is very very expensive in here, most of the chinese medicine shops they are selling very very basic Chinese herbal medicine, which can get from China for less than £1. The ones which works well they are very very expensive, and not profitable for them to sell in the UK.

Hi Anna,

I'm not sure but think you may be talking about a thread i started a few weeks ago, when i was wondering if my mum should go to one of these places to see if they can do something about her irritable bowel syndrome.

Thanks for taking the time to post all the info you have given in this thread, it is really interesting to read more into it. I will give to to my mum and she may just go and visit Dr & Herbs after all, although i will check that its a genuine doctor on the website link that you recommended.

Thanks again its much appreciated.

You have really good knowledge about Chinese medicine, Anna. My grandad is a Chinese doctor, he used Chinese herbal medicine saved many lives, but he had this nasty stroke two years ago, seems nothing would work to get his life back to normal. When he had the stroke he was treating his last patient in his life, it is really sad:cry: (sorry this is a bit of the topic). Also, I would like to say, the Chinese herbal medicine is very very expensive in here, most of the chinese medicine shops they are selling very very basic Chinese herbal medicine, which can get from China for less than £1. The ones which works well they are very very expensive, and not profitable for them to sell in the UK.

thanks raw beauty...

i have only really little knowledge of chinese medicine.. i know what the concept is and how it works.. in regards to what heals what - i havent got a clue...!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to post all the info you have given in this thread, it is really interesting to read more into it. I will give to to my mum and she may just go and visit Dr & Herbs after all, although i will check that its a genuine doctor on the website link that you recommended.

Thanks again its much appreciated.

im glad you found this useful.. :)

i really cant speak for Dr & herbs.. i cant recall seeing them around or hearing about them so i cant say if they are genuine or good or bad...

if you do go along ( or to any other places infact) .. make sure your mum gets a 1-2-1 consultation by a doctor.. like i said.. chinese medicine is quite an individual thing... especially for something quite serious like IBS.. the first thing he should do is to hold your mums wrist and check her pulse.. this procedure is a very basic technique that all chinese doctors will do.. if she doesnt get seen and she is just given some medicine over the counter then dont bother.. go somewhere else..

chinese medicine is very expensive.. and sometimes will only work if taken over a long period which means constant payment... you must find someone who knows what they are doing and not waste your money..

it is not a guarantee that chinese medicines will defin work as again this boils down to the individual.. but i guess when youre ill then everything is worth a shot...?

Latest posts

Back