Chinese Nails HELP!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wannabe said:
Oh lordy! So that's why they're so bloody hard?? I knocked my thumb nail the same day I had them done, and it hurt soooooooo badly and I got a teeny little crack in the corner of the nail...but my nail bed was killing me for two days. If that had been a natural nail, it would have just snapped off, cos I knocked it that hard...but that's how I thought extensions were supposed to be...realistic...not some reinforced over hard plastic!!

My tech who was a man, didn't speak English...and he used this whizzer thing to file over my natural nail and on one nail, I got a shooting pain, like he'd filed down too far, you know? Makes me shiver thinking about it now! He also got me to dry my nails under a lamp...which I'm convinced was an ordinary desk lamp, not a UV one...obviously I'm not an expert, but does this sound normal??

Something which did make me cringe, was that they had one towel hanging over the sink, which 3 people used before me (that I saw) and by the time it was my turn, the towel was soaking wet and I didn't feel comfy at all. Usually I'd have asked for a new one, but they don't speak English! They didn't take card either, so I had to trek miles trying to find a cash point...it did cross my mind to not bother going back, but I had visions of triads chasing me down, so I went back lol.

I've just read up on NSS threads, and I'm feeling really uncomfy still wearing these nails. I found a Creative salon in town and asked how much to remove and reapply and I was quite shocked when she said £55, as I really didn' want to spend out this kind of money within a week of having them done...she said I could have a newly trained girl for £35, but I should be aware that her work might not be up to scratch, and I shouldn't expect it to be perfect. I was even more shocked by this comment...cos surely she should be advertising her staff in a more positive way!!

Anyway, I'm going to shop around and maybe try and find a reputable salon that might try and do me a favour and try and save me a bit of cash...cos as has been said before, I will become a regular client, but I'm not happy to pay out £55 in the process! Does this sound a normal cost to you?

x

I think what this salon has said (the creative salon) is correct if you do not want to spend £55.00 on nails I take it this was to soak off the old nails you have on and do a new set this is a normal price for this as it takes a while to get them off!!!
If you were to have a newly trained member of staff they cannot let her loose on you without telling you first that she is newly trained so obvioulsy her work isnt going to be as good perhaps as someone who has been working with the products for along time but everyone has to start somewhere. Most newly qualified nail techs start by offering cheaper sets of nails as they wouldnt be able to offer a full price and not let the client know that she is newly qualified if the client has any problems she has less reason to complain if she is told the truth from the start. This is the best wa for the new staff member to practice and build up confidence. I am going to do the same thing when My sister starts working for me and will have to tell people so it is their choice if they want a really cheap set of nails they need to know that she is only just qualified however I will get her to practice on quite a few people we know before I let her do any clients nails.

I would perhaps pay the £55.00 this time and get them done so you are happy with them as your nails might be feeling a bit tender from the previous product application and you dont want any more problems with them lifting or breaking etc.

If you decide to have the new girl do your nails then just be aware of what the salon has told you and dont give her a hard time if you break some or have some lifting as with practice she will get better the salon should perhaps offer cheeper of free repairs just incase.

Good luck.
x

i'm sure she wont take offence hun. if its a bit steep for your finances at the moment i'm sure she'll understand. maybe you could get them to thin/shorten the product that is already on your nails so they don't feel so bulky.

Hi,

Here is her web address, looks like she might have opened a salon now ....

http://www.inspirations-online.co.uk/

Needless to say, if it is the same salon as the one you called, just have a look at her standard of work and I'm sure it would be worth every penny.

River

Thanks for all your replies...I'm still on the hunt for a salon who will cut them down today, but it's not proving very hopeful! Once they're cut down, then I'll see how they go...if I'm still not happy, it might be easier to just let them fall off and start again....I have very bitten nails, so extensions usually last no more than 2 weeks without filling.

If they didn't feel so heavy and hard, I'd be happy...cos they look good...but I guess looking good and not feeling good is pointless eh! Well, at least I know now that going to one of those places isn't good for my nails...we've all got to learn somewhere!

x

Yep, it's definitely the same salon..the pics are impressive, but after spending out on nails last week...the prices aren't. There's another salon in town who has offers on at the moment, they use something called bio-sculpture...I've never heard of it, but at least it's not that scary stuff.

Thanks again.

x

"QUOTE"I found a Creative salon in town and asked how much to remove and reapply and I was quite shocked when she said £55, as I really didn' want to spend out this kind of money within a week of having them done...she said I could have a newly trained girl for £35, but I should be aware that her work might not be up to scratch, and I shouldn't expect it to be perfect. I was even more shocked by this comment...cos surely she should be advertising her staff in a more positive way!!"QUOTE"

Personally I would be delighted to be a client of such a professional and honest business, willing to provide their potential clients with full information to enable them to make an informed choice about their treatment.

So whoever runs this Creative Salon well done on your high standards of customer care.

Poor you to have learned the hard way - although having been a member here since October, I am surprised you did not have an inkling LOL.

I do not think it would be in your nails best interest to have anyone "cut them" down as this will cause cracking all over the free edge.

Nothing in this life is free and unfortunately you went for the cheap option which in the end might cost you more in terms of money or the health of your nails, if you go back and have them "drilled" off.

Please take care of your nails by going to a reputable nail salon and have them shortened correctly and maintained or removed safely and then have a treatment manicure.

I frequented this site lots in the beginning when I was looking for training info, but haven't been on recently at all....and I certainly had no clue about these NSS salons. I am like every other unsuspecting lady, who walks by a salon in need of having her nails done, and then walks in and gets them done. For someone not in the industry and not a regular to salons or this site, the NSS salons will not seem bad to anyone....it's not like they're outwardly hostile or aggressive...yes they may not do things as good as a decent salon...but if you've never been to a decent salon, and even if you have (I have), it's still not enough to set off alarm bells in your head.

It's only after in depth reading on this site, that I have decided never to go back....but how many people who have no interest in the industry will ever read what I just have??

x

Hi, I just want to make a point without offending anyone, I work mobile at the minute, I have never and wont ever use MMA, but I do use an E-File, I'm trained to do so, I have arthiritis in my wrist's so the drill is much easier for me, but I'm finding there is a lot of bad press regarding use of an E-File and people are getting scared!!! I don't want upset anyone but I just want state that I do not damage natural nails. Mhairi xx

wannabe said:
It's only after in depth reading on this site, that I have decided never to go back....but how many people who have no interest in the industry will ever read what I just have??

Hi,

This is true, but as an industry we are trying to educate our clients in this matter.

I suppose to a certain extent, we also rely on people like you that have had a bad experience who now have the knowledge to to tell people about your experience and to advise against it. I hope I'm not putting anybody's back up by saying this....

Please don't think we are being nasty to you with some of the comments that have been made, you are simply one of many people who have learned the hard way that salons who use these practices are bad news.

At least you now know for the future to go to a reputable salon and having them done properly and professionally.

River

Unfortunately, we can only educate our clients one by one about these type of salons and even then, many clients take ones comments the wrong way thinking you are just trying to scare them to keep their business!!

Put it down to experience. If the length is the main thing bothering you then shorten them yourself ... it may take some time but thats no big problem. Then go and get a rebalance or soak off as soon as you can.

You would be courting disaster trying to just grow them off, because as the balance goes, the chance that you will have a bad breakage where the product ends and the new softer nail is growing, grows. Very painful.

I think the price for a soak off and new set was perfectly reasonable from an experienced and careful technician. I also think the offer of the trainee at 35 was reasonable and the salon were quite right to tell you that it is a trainee and that the standard may not be the same as a fully professional technician ... it's no different in a hair salon when you have the junior do your hair.

wannabe said:
I frequented this site lots in the beginning when I was looking for training info, but haven't been on recently at all....and I certainly had no clue about these NSS salons. I am like every other unsuspecting lady, who walks by a salon in need of having her nails done, and then walks in and gets them done. For someone not in the industry and not a regular to salons or this site, the NSS salons will not seem bad to anyone....it's not like they're outwardly hostile or aggressive...yes they may not do things as good as a decent salon...but if you've never been to a decent salon, and even if you have (I have), it's still not enough to set off alarm bells in your head.

x

all things pink said:
Hi, I just want to make a point without offending anyone, I work mobile at the minute, I have never and wont ever use MMA, but I do use an E-File, I'm trained to do so, I have arthiritis in my wrist's so the drill is much easier for me, but I'm finding there is a lot of bad press regarding use of an E-File and people are getting scared!!! I don't want upset anyone but I just want state that I do not damage natural nails. Mhairi xx

Hi,

Nobody on here has an issue with the use of e-files, however, people do have issues with the "techs" who cause damage to peoples nails due to the incorrect use of an e-file, whether that be because of lack of training or just plain "couldn't give a damn" attitude that some of these salons have.

River

all things pink said:

I do have definite issues with technicians using drills on natural nails.
You will never convince me that using a drill on a natural nail will not cause any damage. Been around too long and seen too much. Sorry !

I totally agree, I would never use a drill on natural nails there is just no need, I only ever use the E-File on acrylic. Is there anyone else on here use an E-File? Mhairi xx

geeg said:
I do have definite issues with technicians using drills on natural nails.
You will never convince me that using a drill on a natural nail will not cause any damage. Been around too long and seen too much. Sorry !

I totally agree, but there are also some techs that use normal abrasives on natural nails causing equally as much damage.

I personally don't like e-files at all, but I also understand that there are techs that use them (correctly) and not on natural nails who might be getting a "bad rep" because of all the press about them.

River

all things pink said:
I totally agree, I would never use a drill on natural nails there is just no need, I only ever use the E-File on acrylic. Is there anyone else on here use an E-File? Mhairi xx

Jess does - aka SParklepink - for very similar reasons to you. It's like any tool, used in untrained hands they can cause a lot of damage, but when used correctly then they make a job easier.

You have had a bad experience with your nails Wannabe. If you want to learn how to do nails then what better education can you get than by firstly having them done by a professional like Caz. She is a Master Tech and has also competed nationally, you are therefore paying for her skills, professionalism and knowledge ... plus she is the loveliest person you'll ever meet. There is no better way to find a nail tech (hairdresser, builder etc) than through personal recommendation. You could go elsewhere that's cheaper and end up having ANOTHER bad experience. Wait another week for when your infills are due and then have them redone by Caz. It's a lesson learned the expensive way, but trust me you'll never regret paying that bit extra each time.

Sassy, I totally agree! After all said and done, I want to be a nail tech, and watching a pro go to work on my nails really is the best thing I could be doing, rather than trying to save a few quid. I've had my nails done by Creative before, but this was years ago, before I even knew anything about who and what they were etc...but I have to say, I was impressed. So I'll get them shortened, and will then go to Caz in two weeks time...that way I'm getting a decent infill, but am not having to pay extra to get them removed and re-done.

Sorted!

x

Good on yer!! And say Sas says Hi!

I agree with Sas that this is very similar to what Cec was talking about in her thread!

It is very wrong to point any finger (sorry for bad pun) at a race!!!! Just because this salon had chinese or vietnamese working in it doesn't mean it is bad! It might use MMA (which does sound possible in this case) but it is not banned.

We know it is not at all good to use. They are not breaking any law and probably don't know all the facts. Their suppliers are telling them different.

They might use drills but so do many, many technicians in this country! There is nothing wrong with drills in the right hands (although I personally don't like the use of them on the natural nail)

Too much blame is being put on, so-called, NSS. Race has nothing to do with it! There are hundreds of salons and technicians that are not NSS that do as much, and often more damage.

We NOW know that MMA is not good. We didn't many years ago and most technicians used it. Now we know better we don't use it. Unfortunately, many of the 'NSS' technicians don't speak good English and are not part of our professional industry (mags, shows, here etc) so they don't KNOW. It certain;y doesn't make them 'evil'!!!! They are not breaking any law!!!!

MMA is not good, drills in the wrong hands are not good, poor hygiene is not good. But assuming non-English salons do all these things is also not good at all!

Everyone is getting their 'knickers in a twist' over this again! If you do good, skilled and knowledgeable work, you have nothing to worry about. As Geeg says, educate your clients one by one.

Cheaper salons, whatever type, always worry insecure technicians. Just get on with it and prove you're better by doing it!

Wannabee, it's a shame you've had an experience that is not good. It's not disasterous though. Your nails might be a little thin (hands up all those technicians who have never had thin nails of their own!!!!????) but they will grow. If money is a problem why not ask the original salon to soak off (not drill) as they will probably be inexpensive. If the worst comes to the worst, just but some acetone from the chemist and be prepared to sit for 2 hours at home. Ask someone on here and they will tell you how to do it safely. Don't leave them too long and don't let them grow out!!

I think they do know...but cos its cheep and probably imported they don't care !!! why would they care about products when they don't care about hygine..? if they cared they would make it there business to know.

A person who cant be bothered to tax and mot there car is the kind of person who cant be bothered to get insured either...and these people don't bother to decorate there salons nicely...they leave mess on the floor...they don't clean anything...they don't attempt to be profesional...so why would they care about using MMA !!!! your right .. they are not doing anything iliigal..but i don't believe they don't know. (i am speaking about the NSS where i live here)

Latest posts

Back