Chipping with ibd gelac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I would love to hear anybody's advice on how to prevent chipping when using IBD Gelac.I have follwed the instructions they have given but after 4-5days they are chipping as badly as a normal polish. I cant see them lasting 1 week let alone make 2 weeks as IBD say.

I may now worrying I have invested in the wrong system, would be grateful for any suggestionds you may have.

Thank-you :)

I would love to hear anybody's advice on how to prevent chipping when using IBD Gelac.I have follwed the instructions they have given but after 4-5days they are chipping as badly as a normal polish. I cant see them lasting 1 week let alone make 2 weeks as IBD say.

I may now worrying I have invested in the wrong system, would be grateful for any suggestionds you may have.

Thank-you :)
I'm in the same boat. I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!! I have to keep rushing around to clients fixing their chips for no fee! This rubbish is putting me out of pocket already. Not a happy bunny!

Have they given you suggestions about to stop this form happening?? All I read is bad things about this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

I had problems with seche gel polish the first time round and so did many others so we complained they listened and refunded and with drew it !! I believe they have a new version which I hope people are successful with .... But what I'm trying to say is stand up to them and ask them to do something as it's not performing as advertised I'm sure your not alone and on a last note after my disaster with seche I went to shellac and LOVE it !! X best of luck girls xx

I had the gelac initiailly, and i got so fed up with it, as you say , it chipped after just 3 days or so, and the it didnt remove very well either. not one of my clients were impressed with it, and it just drove me mad, waste of money. I switched to shellac in the end and its in a totally different league. The gelac is now gathering dust on my shelves, which is a pain, as it wasnt cheap to buy!

Pheeeeeeeeeeeeew I thought it was me. I bought one solitary colour to try out (because it's easier to get around here than Shellac) and it was chipping and I thought hmmmmmmm maybe I'm not doing it right? Each brand has it's quirks?

Ok, so do I understand correctly, are they putting out an improved version?

I've only tried mine out on my own toes and it still looked perfect after 3 weeks, but toes and fingers are definitely different... need to try it out on a few guinea pigs' fingers before I make an educated opinion

My toes last three weeks min with Gelac. Fingers I only got 7-10 days.

Thank you for your replies. Over the last couple of days I have been playing around with the Gelac. This time I applied the base like a polish and cured under the light. I have also applied 3 coats of colour. I have also cured every layer for longer than IBD reccomend. I have aslo been using a good quality cuticle oil daily. So far so good. :lol:

Has anybody had good results with the gelac?

:( I have a chip. I did em about 5 nights ago and chipped after 2 days :( However the jury is still out because I got it after doing dishes for awhile and I never wear rubber gloves. I'm keeping it on a bit longer (mainly cuz I dont have any acetone and it makes me sick while pregnant anyway) to keep an eye on it. Otherwise it's still beautiful! Very shiny and smooth!

hey ya ive been having an awful time with gelac everybody i have done has chipped, ive been onto my supplier and they are telling me they think its a bad batch and are onto their supplier they have also advised me to not use it til they sort it out sorry to be bearer of bad news:cry:

I've recently written a very long post on another thread (I think one on Minx) but the principle is the same (as I say in that post)

It doesn't matter how good (or bad) the product is (nail polish, NNO's, gel polish, Shellac, Minx etc) it is a coating! A coating will only perform as well as the base it is applied to!

Some of the brands may be better than others but this isn't the point I'm making.

NO coating (in the nail industry) will bond well to anything other than an immaculately clean and perfectly smooth surface. If you are getting chipping with a gel polish then you will get the same chipping with polish!

Delamination (peeling) is one of the most common natural nail conditions. If there is peeling on the nail the client WILL get chipping!! This is just one of the possible problems.

You need to use your knowledge and prepare that nail plate to make the best possible base for the coating. If you cannot do this either due to lack of knowledge or client preference then you must advise your client of the implications!

This is quite worrying as I've just invested in a load of gelac. Im waiting for my IBD lamp to arrive so haven't tried it out yet. I'm gonna have to keep my eye on it and experiment abit!

This is quite worrying as I've just invested in a load of gelac. Im waiting for my IBD lamp to arrive so haven't tried it out yet. I'm gonna have to keep my eye on it and experiment abit!

I don't think it's worrying! Shellac and the gel polishes are fabulous! You'll love it. Just remember how you need to prepare the nail plate and you'll be fine

Mum I hate to argue but I am a total prep nazi, I would understand if it just gets slapped on but at least with me this is NOT the case. I've used other brands and not had this issue. At all. I've removed both Shellac and Gelish 11 or 12 days after putting it on cuz I was ready for a color change. This was also when I was in school and beating my hands up daily, as opposed to now when doing the dishes for 10 minutes and a bit of typing is the worst my hands see. Literally a base coat, regular polish and top coat lasts longer on me.

hey ive just bought gelac nail kit and just read all bad reports on gelac. how r u getting on with urs?? thank you xxx

Not great to be honest. I have done about 10 sets and so far only 1 set hasnt chipped. Looking into changing to Shellac after reading such good reviews. Going to keep practising with the Gelac and then make my mind up after being to Professional Beauty, Excel at the end of the month.

Ive just bought one colour to try it. Used on my mum and myself in the last couple of days will let u know how long they last.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Just to update you. My nails chipped on a few but then they were short and wasn't able to cap the free edge properly so maybe thats why.
My mum has a couple of chipped nails but I think thats due to one breaking and the other she admited to using to open a box at work (I did tell her off for that. The others have no chipping but it looks like there is shrinking at the free edge if thats possible even though I thought I capped the free edge quite well.

My lasted 5days and then I took them off.
Mums ones that are ok have lasted 7 days.

It seems to me that IBD quite often underestimate cure time in their instructions for their gel range - maybe its the same for their Gelac?. Also I have a few pieces from their soak off gel polish range and I can tell you their base product seriously under performs imo!

I havent tried Gelac but if your prep is good and its still chipping its most likely under cured or poor quality base layer. Does the chip go right through to the base layer or is it just the colour that comes off? - that can help you determine which layer is not working properly.

My advice would be -if you have invested quite a considerable amount of money in your Gelac system then you obviously want to try and get use out of it. I suspect its the base layer which is not performing up to scratch! Try an experiment using a different brand of base layer with the Gelac colours to see if this works. This whole 'dont mix systems' malarky is actually a load of rubbish so dont be afraid to try it:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back