Choosing a tanning solution is driving me crazy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simone Martin

Reaction score
Be gentle...I'm a newbie to forums but hope you can help...I've finally narrowed it down...I love nouvatan for the colour, nonstick/wet after tanning and great fade off but my room gets coated red when I used it , just tested exposed rapid tan...wasn't dark enough for client even after letting it develop further after washing it off so I'm considering trying the exposed 12% & 14% to see what they are like as really like the little or no overspray concept but needs to be darker!!! I've also heard great things about la tan...the colour and price are great especially the brown range but worried about stickiness/wetness after tanning and yet again the dreaded overspray! Ahhhhhh can anyone help, it's driving me crazy as want to offer the best for my clients...what's your favourite 8hr tan, fast tan and who of you use an extractor fan, which one and does it help? Thanks in advance

It's sooo frustrating isn't it! Suntana fade off I'm finding patchy and takes forever to get off, rose and caramel is a nice colour but again I'm finding fade off patchy, sienna x I think is an awful colour and goes very patchy. Tantruth I find quite orange on some people. My customers are liking Reem at
the minute, good colour and good fade off and really good price. I sometimes get a little overspray floating about but nothing that would worry me and it's only if I'm doing a party booking

I forgot to add...Reem also do a rapid tan although I haven't tested this yet. They do a sample set on their website ;)

Thanks for replying Donna, it's so frustrating. Do you use an extractor fan with your tans x

No I don't use one, I probably should when doing parties but since I'm just mobile I have so much to carry as it is. And for the small amount of overspray that I get now and again I normally just tell my customer to open a window when I'm finished and it clears it. It's only a minimal amount so I've never had a problem with it settling in their house or mine

I love LA Tanning, great range of colours including the rapid tan and Disco 14%, although can't vouch for this one as never had anyone wanting that dark!

Hi I use LA tan , crazy angel and fake bake all really good no smell and stickiness and no over spray if you gun is set right. Some company's will give sample if you ask x

St tropez new formula is amazing no takiness or biscuit smell!

I used LA tan and LDN skins until recently and now only LDN Skins.
The LA brown range was good value however I found if the client had any dry skin it would really show even after moisturising. I also found the rapid and golden range looked orange.

Ahhh there are soooo many tans it can be frustrating trying to find the best one! I've tried lots of brands over the years and you tend to find the one you like the best over time by trying out different brands. The brand I'm using and have used for a long while now as my clients love it is coco bay, you should try it, such a lovely tan and clients love it! It's quite an old brand been around for years, but a lovely colour.

Xx

Tanning solutions is not all about dark dark get the darkest, Dha the main tanning ingredient reacts with the amino acids in each individual creating the desired results. Matching your clients to there specific needs is better. If you have a Very fair Customer non brand specific but Generally applying to high of a dha percentage will create unatural looking results and a much more noticable fade off each individual will have a cut off DHA percentage for natural results for there complexion and requirements. Some customers do like the unatural look but not us personally, which is why we try to skin type clients and recommend accordingly for the best natural looking results. We dont promote rapid tans currently even though we have one, as unlike a set solution, if the customer washed off to soon or too late and didnt like the results this ultimately come down to in the customers eyes 1. bad spray tan from the therapist, 2. The Brand is no good. Thinner solutions are more optimised for useage and solution consumption, this creates a finer overspray Less stickyness and fast drying time, But the overspray shouldnt matter as much in a professional environment as extraction should be present. Application is also Down to the actual machine being used as well as the solution thickness, Older units had a much larger output needle 1mm therefore the spray was coming out more as a water droplet than a mist, Clients took longer to dry, more sticky and more solution use. Newer units are optimised and most now have 0.5 or 0.6mm creating a fine mist.

Years back after I trained I used OMG (currently known as DHA Solutions). They were a good start as they are so easy to use, and the mess was minimal. When it was messy it went green, not really bad, but like if I wiped the skirting boards, not needing doing everyday.

I now use Suntana and its very fast drying, but I'm not sure I would have got on with it when I first started. It does leave a red tinge on white goods (I have the Ikea Kallax) so I wipe it every couple of weeks so it doesn't stain. But thats cleaning I would be doing anyway so it doesnt bother me. I don't notice it so much anywhere else like with the DHA one. I have cream walls and it never stains the walls. Good luck! xx

Be gentle...I'm a newbie to forums but hope you can help...I've finally narrowed it down...I love nouvatan for the colour, nonstick/wet after tanning and great fade off but my room gets coated red when I used it , just tested exposed rapid tan...wasn't dark enough for client even after letting it develop further after washing it off so I'm considering trying the exposed 12% & 14% to see what they are like as really like the little or no overspray concept but needs to be darker!!! I've also heard great things about la tan...the colour and price are great especially the brown range but worried about stickiness/wetness after tanning and yet again the dreaded overspray! Ahhhhhh can anyone help, it's driving me crazy as want to offer the best for my clients...what's your favourite 8hr tan, fast tan and who of you use an extractor fan, which one and does it help? Thanks in advance
I love I mean LOVE Norvell! If you pop them an email they will send you some samples, I had a pop up text in a small room with white painted walls and no extractor fan, I never had any over spray, it's the least sticky I feel and the colour and smell is lovely x

I love nouvatan but gave up tanning due to an overspray problem that I couldn't get on top of.

I understand it was more about technique and having the gun set right than the actual product itself.

Make sure you don't change for the wrong reasons.

LA Tan is amazing, everyone loves it that I use it on

I'm another nouvatan convert, and now I'd never go back. My clients love it. If you're getting lots of overspray then try adjusting your gun rather than changing solution. Watch some videos on YouTube about how to get least overspray and adjusting your gun - I have a double adjust gun, or can adjust the air pressure at the machine and the nozzle width on the gun itself, I get no overspray at all and it makes it all very economical as I don't need so much solution per tan.

I absolutely love fake bake mist intense. The colour is gorgeous soo natural olive tone. It is fast drying non sticky and smells great

Hi , I have been using and promoting Norvell Sunless for a while now in the UK , authourised distributor and I am also known as natural mist a accredited spray tan trainer. Norvell's moto is healthy skin tans best and all products are made with this in mind.
Solutions range from original , cocoa, dark ,double dark and have many new solutions including a clear solution for brides and anyone worried about whites, theres no bronzer in this solution. The solutions are very natural, I have even sprayed someones legs only to match there top natural sun tan and it was a perfect match :) I have a online shop with more info and pricing but feel free to message as I am always happy to help. Norvell also has BBC press for the new strictly come dancing retail range available soon. With over spray some machines give alot more mist, which can fill rooms or salons and also not good for the tan tech if not wearing nose filters. Hope this helps :)

Hi , I have been using and promoting Norvell Sunless for a while now in the UK , authourised distributor and I am also known as natural mist a accredited spray tan trainer. Norvell's moto is healthy skin tans best and all products are made with this in mind.
Solutions range from original , cocoa, dark ,double dark and have many new solutions including a clear solution for brides and anyone worried about whites, theres no bronzer in this solution. The solutions are very natural, I have even sprayed someones legs only to match there top natural sun tan and it was a perfect match :) I have a online shop with more info and pricing but feel free to message as I am always happy to help. Norvell also has BBC press for the new strictly come dancing retail range available soon. With over spray some machines give alot more mist, which can fill rooms or salons and also not good for the tan tech if not wearing nose filters. Hope this helps :)
What is the web address of your online shop ? xx

Latest posts

Back