Choosing a UV Lamp for your Gel System

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
When choosing a UV lamp for your gel do you go for one with 36 watts or 9 watts?
The answer is... neither, you choose a lamp that is suited and/or recommended for your particular gel system.

The wattage doesn't actually have much to do with the curing power of the lamp; it's the UV Output of the bulbs that cure the gel. You can get different amounts of UV light from bulbs with the same wattage!

The shape of the bulb and the placement of the bulb in the lamp also make a difference to its effectiveness.
The wattage refers to the amount of energy consumed when the lamp is being used.

When the photoinitiators in gel react with the UV light they cure... it depends on the speed of the photoinitiators as to how much UV light they need to cure. Slow photoinitiators take a lot of UV light to cure; faster ones need less UV light.

If you use a lamp that isn't recommended for your gel system then the chances are that you won't get an optimum cure, therefore you're risking potential over exposure from under cured product, excessive exothermic reaction (aka heat spike), service breakdown, brittleness of product from over curing, weaker enhancements and/or yellowing of gel.

Just because the gel looks cured doesn't necessarily mean that it is cured. You won't ever be 100% sure that you're going to get the best out of your chosen gel system without the correct lamp.

It makes sense to use a UV lamp that has been designed specifically to give you optimum cure for your gel, this gives you peace of mind in the knowledge that you're not risking overexposure to your clients by allowing them to have gel that might not be fully cured (even if it looks cured), knowing that service breakdown will be minimal (if any at all) and not down to using products and equipment that haven't been scientifically tested to work together.

When companies invest shed loads of money into design, chemistry, technology etc of products and equipment it makes sense to use them.

Purchasing a UV lamp is an investment, ensure you research thoroughly and make the right choice, not only for yourself but for your clients and the longevity of the enhancements you produce.

Make it your business to find out as much information as possible about the UV gel and UV lamp that you use!

Excellent Sandi! I'm as passionate as you about using the right lamp and this should leave people well informed!

nice one sandi, very well explained.

excellent, very well writtten, thanks.

Very enlightening. Thank You

Joan

I've not being doing gels for long but use the Profile system at the moment. I've been using an old second hand lamp and think its about time I bought a decent one! Before buying the Profile lamp, does anyhone have any opinions on the system? Is it worth me switching to another product and another lamp????

** I have a 9 watt for at home use and we use a Brisa one @ school, also just got a Great Deal on a 36 watt IBD two-handed one that I ended up taking to school for us to use that there as well**:)

** I have a 9 watt for at home use and we use a Brisa one @ school, also just got a Great Deal on a 36 watt IBD two-handed one that I ended up taking to school for us to use that there as well**:)
which gel are you using with which UV lamp?

Thanks that was very well written and explained thoroughly!
Great help! Thank you!
:p :p

Very well explained. Thanks

Hi Ladies,
what lamps do you use for EzFlow gel?:rolleyes:

Hi Ladies,
what lamps do you use for EzFlow gel?:rolleyes:
You should be using the Light It! UV lamp to cure all gel from the Gel It! range.
hth's

You should be using the Light It! UV lamp to cure all gel from the Gel It! range.
hth's
Other's might not work properly? :confused:
Could you suggest any website where I could buy it? The store where I bought my gel does not carry Light It!:eek:

Other's might not work properly? :confused:
No... if you read my article (this thread) you will see why.

Could you suggest any website where I could buy it? The store where I bought my gel does not carry Light It!:eek:
You will need to get in touch with EZFlow in Canada for details, sorry I don't have a website or telephone number, hopefully some EZFlow geeks can help you with the contact details.
hth's

Thank you for your answer!:) I read your article! I just wanted to ask people if they have used any other lamp that worked as well!
EzFlow geeks!! Could you help me with an online distributor of Light It!, please?

I found this website: buynail.com - Your One Source For Salon Supplies
Has anyone heard about it?--never mind :) I found some threads where you suggest this website. I was just not sure because it has lots of promotions and the prices are cheaper there.

Thank you so much for this article. Now I'm sure I 'll be more careful when choosing UV lamps! :)

Hi, I am going to start using young nail gel products, but wanted to make sure that I purchase the correct UV lamp. Is anyone using the product and have any recommendations? I didn't want to spend too much money.

Latest posts

Back