Choosing The correct Length for Balance and Beauty

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
We have all heard the expression, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, but there are times when creating nail enhancements, that we need to be a bit more disciplined and apply ‘rules of design’ in order to please our clients and sometimes, to please the judges of a competition!!

It is even more important to understand that the ‘rules’ need to alter a little bit when the technician is using the French application of whatever product he or she uses. When the tips of the nails are whiter-than-white, it tends to distort the balance of the overall look and very easily makes an enhancement look top-heavy and ungainly.

I judge many technicians’ work; in competitions and even more often the photographs they submit to me for a critique. Most of the time the technical work or the application of the product is excellent. The thing that most often lets a technician’s work down in my eyes, is that the length they have chosen is just too long and the symmetry and balance of the finished work is not as attractive as it could be and would have been if only the free edge had been made shorter.

In competition work, some technicians produce an ‘extreme’ smile line in order to ‘strut their stuff’ and show the judges the consistent control they have when using their white product to create ‘smile lines’. Although this extreme look can be used successfully on a model whose nail beds are extremely long – it is a look that can actually foreshorten the look of a normal, or shorter-than-average nail bed length, and make the nails look less attractive. The same thing of course also applies to clients in the salon where it is more attractive to stick to a natural smile line shape (which accounts for 99% of cases) unless the client has ultra long nail beds.

Barring the odd instance where a client is one of those ‘extreme’ clients and likes to break all the rules; for the prettiest look and the most practical ‘real life’ length:

The free edge of the enhancement should never be longer than half the length of the nail bed.

The length can of course be anything shorter than this length that compliments the hand of the client or model.

When using the ‘French Look’ with a brilliant white free edge, the rule should be altered to:

The free edge of the enhancement should be just a bit shorter than half the length of the nail bed.

Making the enhancements just that tiny bit, or more, shorter, creates the perfect combination of balance and beauty for which we all strive.

Last edited:
What great articles you write. They've helped no end. I've never had any confidence in my work and always blamed myself when a client loses a nail believing it's my fault. Since joining The Nail Geek web site my knowledge seems to have doubled and so has my confidence I never dread a client coming back for infills.When I read the tutorials on smile lines I tried them on myself and they look fantastic I never want to take my thumb nail off because it looks perfect! The saying knowledge is power is so right because I feel I have the power to do a great job and when a client comes in I can enjoy doing their nails without the worry that there going to come back unhappy with the work I do.

I'm so glad you have found my articles and tutorials to be helpful. You are not unique in blaming yourself when clients come back to you with problems ... we are women ... blaming ourselves is second nature!! However confidence in your work is absolutely essential to build if you ever want to have credibility with your clients. If I and the site have helped you to do that, then we have had success.

So no Tanya Turner's then :D

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's nice to know that those at the top of the tree find time to help those that cling to the bottom branches.

Hi Gigi, the best advise ever and just in time for the Comps xxxxx
nice one xxx

your writing is so understandable and easy to absorb...like it all clicks into place
thankyou

It would be great to see some examples, some that conform and some that don't.

Clear and consise as usual, thank you geeg, another one to print off for my folder ;)

I did a particular set of french enhancements over christmas and she insisted on having them long....and i mean long!!
she thought they looked fabulous when i had ficished but to be honest because there was sooo much white tip, to me they looked unatural, wierd...i dont really know how to describe them.

She liked them anyhow!!

mamma said:
I did a particular set of french enhancements over christmas and she insisted on having them long....and i mean long!!
she thought they looked fabulous when i had ficished but to be honest because there was sooo much white tip, to me they looked unatural, wierd...i dont really know how to describe them.

She liked them anyhow!!

Our junior was like that she always wanted the "Tanya Turner footballers wives" look, as she was always shampooing she was always loosing them, my most tedious job every week!

Latest posts

Back