Christmas appointments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has got me thinking. This time last year I had just qualified in nails and was still working in the hotel part time, I always seemed to get the short end of the straw and had to work on Christmas Eve.

This year though, after reading this and thinking about it, I will not be working on Christmas Eve. Normally I would worry about turning away business, but if peeps can't get organised before the 23rd then it's too bad, because this year I am going to enjoy my Christmas. Thanks Gigi :)

As for New Year's Eve Sassy, I am not too bothered about that to be honest, never really been a big fan of New Year.

This is my fifth Christmas in nails and I too have learnt the hard way. You do get a bit miffed when new clients ring in for new sets but you have to turn them away cos your books are full with all your god damned regulars lol! I don't mean that how it sounds, those regulars are bread and butter and wonderful women, all of them, but you get my drift. :lol:

This year, I am bullying lots of my regulars into having appointments 7-10 days before Christmas, especially the ones who I absolutely KNOW can go 3 weeks and apart from a bit of growth their nails are perfect. So far they have been happy to go along with this, bar the odd one . . .

Usually my kids break up for Christmas and have to amuse themselves or go to Nanny's while Mummy works her butt off in the front room . . . NOT THIS YEAR LOL! This year their last school day is Wednesday 19th, I have a few in for the Thursday morning and evening, then Friday I am taking off and we are going Christmas shopping and doing wrapping and stuff! I am available for work on 22nd (Saturday) but that is it!! I feel smug knowing all the regulars are booked in, I still have some gaps for newbies and have lots of time for me and the kids.

And apart from one appointment that couldn't be avoided, I ain't working the Thurs and Fri after Christmas either (poss might do the Saturday when hubby can take the kids out but at the moment that's free too.)

I'm also taking off the Mon, Tues, Wed before the kids go back on 3rd Jan as well. . . just to spend time together.

Some might say that's taking it a bit too far. And they might be right! :hug:
Anyways that's what I'm doing this year so roll on Crimbo!

Maybe take a little time for yourself and your own families this year?

TAKE DEPOSITS!! MINIMUM OF 25% nonrefundable!!

This is what we now do, so sick of people booking us up in advance then being 'too busy' to come! cheeky devils!

I've had this problem on the days I'm open between xmas and nye - I will so be taking deposits for the few days I am open.

But I will not be working on xmas eve or nye themselves - they fall on days I dont normally work so why should I work on them?

And in future I wont be working them even if they do fall on normal working days :)

I'm looking forward to Christmas week this year, I loved it last year busy with clients, shopping all done and hubby off to watch the kids.
This year i hope will be as enjoyable, but I'm finishing on the Friday, last client booked in at 6.30 and that me done. I've got a wedding party booked for the 29th but its the only appointment booked between Christmas and new year.

I spent too many Christmas eves working away from my family in my last job (for someone else's pocket) to ever do it again xx

My rule has always been, never work Christmas eve and on my birthday....LOL
As my shop is in London's square mile, it is dead between Christmas and New Year. Its non residential, so when the clients break up for Christmas so do we lol.....but its manic right up till the last working Friday before Christmas.
For the last 15 years I have been very lucky, no cancellations, but I do have a cancellation list, clients are always contacted the day before their appointment with a " confirming your appointment call" and if they can't make it, the appointment is offered to one on the cancellation list clients.
LOL we actually do this right through the year lol...New Clients pay a deposit of XYZ £££'s which is non refundable should there be a no-show.

Most of our clients don't come back into the city until the first full working week in January.
So this little time between Christmas and New Year is my annual holiday time.
So roll on Christmas I am so looking forward to my break, quality family time and recharging my batteries ready for the next busy year ahead.

Me??? nope don't work Christmas or New Year!

My immediate family mean the world to me - so off we go on holiday in a hotel from 23rd Dec to 2nd Jan - no outlaws can hijack the day(s) and the littleuns think it is fantastic that Santa can find them when they are on holiday :green: AND no cooking at all for me - cool :lol:

Gonna treat myself to a Leighton Denny at the hotel we stay at :wink2: this year :green:

This will be my 10th xmas in this industry and I have a terrible memory of getting home at 9pm on xmas eve with my 17 year old daughter, both of us absolutely exhausted, still had pressies to wrap for the morning and hubby having already started on the xmas booze...I was so ANGRY with him...poor guy (I should have been with him!):lol::lol::lol:

3 years ago Geeg put similar advice up on this site and I decided to try it - guess what? My family and I had the most wonderful Xmas and what a difference it made for my staff and their families too...AND all the clients just accepted it, in fact said it was the right thing to do!!!!

So, that's been it for me every year since we have xmas eve and hogmanay and we're all a lot more relaxed when the big days come:)

i have only worked about about 4 xmass evas since i had kids they are 8 and 9 now last year i was dead on xmass eva so this year i am offering sunday, is this sad ? didnt work last year it was fab to be off with the kids so by offering sunday can do more clients as half day 23rd and i will be off :green: also nails and waxing ect, dosent need to be left to the last min like hair

Im the same Im not working christmas eve - my excuse is its a monday and the salon is closed on a monday! Anyway been thinking I dont need to make an excuse Im working so much the week before xmas so I need a rest too.

I anyone opening the sunday to fit people in?

xx

Monday is normally my day off. Im working all mondays over the xmas period.
Never worked over xmas time (in 3 years that is!) never will do. Plus its my birthday dec 27th will not be working that either :)

Oh i love crimbo all this talk is making me feel festive. I love decorating the salon and having lovely gifts to retail clients at xmas time:green:

i'm working xmas eve and new years eve but the salon is only open from 8-3 so have the rest of the afternoon free.

also being jewish i'm not as fussed working on xmas eve - i've done it the last 2 or 3 yrs (can't remember!) in a retail job, which is worse as it's in central london and lots of customers buying last min things.

i'd much rather have new yrs eve off but again i'm only working til 3 so rest of the day to get ready for my annual take away curry with the bf!!!

No working on xmas eve for me either. I never do.
I usually do new years eve but I'm not doing it anymore either. I always get everyone trying to book in for between xmas and new year, then they all cancel beausse they are busy with their families. This year I will do 2 days in that week and if you want an appointment, it'll be paid up front & no refund.

Me??? nope don't work Christmas or New Year!

My immediate family mean the world to me - so off we go on holiday in a hotel from 23rd Dec to 2nd Jan - no outlaws can hijack the day(s) and the littleuns think it is fantastic that Santa can find them when they are on holiday :green: AND no cooking at all for me - cool :lol:

Gonna treat myself to a Leighton Denny at the hotel we stay at :wink2: this year :green:

And you will love it Debs. As you know I had a "Leighton Denny" at the said hotel in the summer and their products are lush! Do check they will e doing appointments over xmas though! They may want xmas off too!

This will be my 10th xmas in this industry and I have a terrible memory of getting home at 9pm on xmas eve with my 17 year old daughter, both of us absolutely exhausted, still had pressies to wrap for the morning and hubby having already started on the xmas booze...I was so ANGRY with him...poor guy (I should have been with him!):lol::lol::lol:

3 years ago Geeg put similar advice up on this site and I decided to try it - guess what? My family and I had the most wonderful Xmas and what a difference it made for my staff and their families too...AND all the clients just accepted it, in fact said it was the right thing to do!!!!

So, that's been it for me every year since we have xmas eve and hogmanay and we're all a lot more relaxed when the big days come:)

I'M BUSTED!!

Truth be known, I put the same advice up every year, at this time, on the site for those new ones who haven't seen it before!! I think it's important that new ones don't kill themselves over Xmas.

You know - I hadnt thought of it being a christmas for us too!

I was umming and arring whether to work the Monday this year, which I dont normally work the Monday but now you have made my mind up for me - I AM NOT GOING TO DO IT! I know I will be put under pressure but last year I will admit that I was just to knackered to enjoy it.

Thanks Geeg. x x x

ohhh ive dipped out!!!!
working xmas eve and new years eve! doh!!!!!!

Christmas Eve is the most magical day of the year and I'll be spending it doing festive things with my baby and little boy. Wise words, great thread! x

ohhh ive dipped out!!!!
working xmas eve and new years eve! doh!!!!!!

It's not too late, you can still say (apologetically)
"I'm sorry, but a large family function has come up that I absolutely can't miss, I regret, but I must reschedule you" (perhaps tack on an extra service or a gift cert as part of the apology).
If they've any heart, they will understand that the holidays is for children and families and can't begrudge you the one day.

If they don't understand..... well, it's not exactly the sort of client I'd want anyhow.

That's the joy of running our own business: WE decide when-where-how.

:hug:

I completely agree with having Xmas and new years eve off work! You all work so hard all year round, i'm sure your clients wont begrudge you for two or 3 days off?!
I want to remeber my christmas time with my family and loved ones....not working. As much as i love my work....family come first! I'm sure your clients would want to be doing shopping or with family the same as you do!
And the clients that do have a problem with it??.....well then they aren't loyal clients in my opinion! they wouldn't moan at their local supermarket for being closed on them days......so why moan at us? You deserve a bit of you time! Take it off and don't feel bad about it either!
The clients that complained will soon come crawling back in the new year for a new set! Trust me!
Gigi this thread is amazing!
X X X X

Latest posts

Back