Christmas appointments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'm already too late for this one.... Most of my ladies have shuffled their appointments, so that they can fit 2 treatments in before Xmas. This now means this actual week my diary is shockingly quiet & so is the week 3 weeks from now !!! .... :( Not happy. I will now spend my entire week prior to Xmas running around like a headless chicken trying to fit everyone in & to be honest will gain absolutely no more for the overall month because of it... Feeling pretty annoyed right now :twisted:

Well I'm already too late for this one.... Most of my ladies have shuffled their appointments, so that they can fit 2 treatments in before Xmas. This now means this actual week my diary is shockingly quiet & so is the week 3 weeks from now !!! .... :( Not happy. I will now spend my entire week prior to Xmas running around like a headless chicken trying to fit everyone in & to be honest will gain absolutely no more for the overall month because of it... Feeling pretty annoyed right now :twisted:

Exactly as I said. You will know better for next year. x Iposted this thread 2 weeks ago under a new title ... Remember YOU. Read my threads!! lol

I'm working 22nd and 23rd which I'm looking forward to. It means after 13 years of me doing all the childcare, cleaning, shopping, cooking my husband actually has to do the work to prepare for our drinks party! I'd much rather be doing nails with everyone in a Christmassy mood.

So true Geeg. If anyone is going to cancel it will be on Christmas Eve as they're so busy.

A new very upmarket hair salon opened in my area and she told me that they were going to open 7 days a week. I told her that she'd only get the same number of clients; they'd just have more days to choose from. A few months later (after almost killing themselves by working 7 days), she said 'You were so right! We now close on Sundays and Mondays and we have the same number of clients'. xx

So true Geeg. If anyone is going to cancel it will be on Christmas Eve as they're so busy.

A new very upmarket hair salon opened in my area and she told me that they were going to open 7 days a week. I told her that she'd only get the same number of clients; they'd just have more days to choose from. A few months later (after almost killing themselves by working 7 days), she said 'You were so right! We now close on Sundays and Mondays and we have the same number of clients'. xx

As I always say, my dear friend, "There is NO substitute for EXPERIENCE!! :p

Last edited:
I don't work on Xmas eve ever. I always take off 2 weeks like from 22nd December till 8th January or so. My husband is off too, so I want to have a quality time with him. I put up an announcement on my FB page, on a white board at work behind me and also text everybody about dates I will be off 2 months before. But the I always get this madness of new clients in October and November, so in December I have to work extra, I mean very extra hours to fit in the November-October new clients as most of my regulars make their appointments a year ahead :)
Thanks geeg for your advice! Always interesting to read your threads and posts.

Oooh noo.

I am working Christmas Eve :( ALL DAY TIL 5.30.

First year so I THOUGHT it would be a good thing to do. I am usually shut on the Monday but decided as Christmas was a Tues I would swap it.

Someone else took a booking for me for 3 new people that I have no phone number for or anything! So frustrated!!!!

I am however not working New Years, purely because I am away.

I have been looking into text reminder services for 24 hours before. For Christmas do you ring the week before?

And once they have booked is it too late to take a deposit? I was thinking of calling everyone booked in to make sure they knew their times and subtly, if there is a way, saying that last min cancellations would be charged for.

Oh gosh, well you live and learn dont you. Next year perhaps I wont!

Right, that's settled then. Tomorrow I am going to cancel my Xmas eve appt. I knew it was madness when I agreed to it, to be honest. It was for 3 hours at a retirement home doing file and polish. Sorry folks but this is family time. At least I'll be giving plenty of notice.

I have been taking bookings up to 22nd Dec and had decided to stop working then, but a regular has requested a Christmas Eve booking as it is the only time she can fit in. I've agreed for 10.00 and should be home by 11.30 and then it's my holiday.

I've taken the week off between Christmas and News Years as I've barely had any time off this year, and to be honest I'm struggling and getting a bit ill. It's time for me to recover.

Only problem is, I will have a self-employed beauty therapist (and friend) that starts working with me from 4th December. She wants to work Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. Trouble is, I only have one key that works in a very old door, and I'm not sure I trust her enough yet to give her the keys for that period.

What should I do?

I have been taking bookings up to 22nd Dec and had decided to stop working then, but a regular has requested a Christmas Eve booking as it is the only time she can fit in. I've agreed for 10.00 and should be home by 11.30 and then it's my holiday.

I've taken the week off between Christmas and News Years as I've barely had any time off this year, and to be honest I'm struggling and getting a bit ill. It's time for me to recover.

Only problem is, I will have a self-employed beauty therapist (and friend) that starts working with me from 4th December. She wants to work Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. Trouble is, I only have one key that works in a very old door, and I'm not sure I trust her enough yet to give her the keys for that period.

What should I do?

I would say, "no, the salon will be closed on those days ... enjoy the time with your family as I am going to do".

Great advice as always Geeg. I to have decided to close the salon Xmas eve last working day for me is sat 22nd can't wait!!

I would say, "no, the salon will be closed on those days ... enjoy the time with your family as I am going to do".

Heed geeg's wise words. I've been self employed nearly 3 years now took the plunge after 2and a half years of working part time in a salon. I work 60 hrs a week hardly any holiday building up my business. I was fully booked for the 6 weeks before last Christmas, it was great loved it. Then Christmas Day came and guess what? Yep I was ill, I had vertigo and vomiting bug ruined everyone's including my Christmas!

So this year I've booked extra days off in the quite time before Christmas and booked off the week in between Christmas and new year. My regulars are fine I think we forget when we start to work our columns for us and that we can say no to our clients. Lets face it its not gonna say on our tomb stones "she did great nails and would always fit me in when I wanted" :)

Enjoy Christmas everyone xx

I used to do Christmas eve - but not this year! I have so much cooking and wrapping and family organising to do that my Christmas will be ruined if I did - and I'm not prepared to be exhausted over Christmas any more. My clients have been booked in since September time, but I made it clear there will be no exceptions - and no last minute repairs! I will work the Friday between Christmas & New year though (I've had enough of everyone in the house by then so being out in the nail room will be lovely:lol:)

I work christmas eve until 3pm and new years eve until 5pm. i have a very small family and we never really do anything for the holidays. dinner on christmas eve isnt until 6pm or 7pm and new years eve dinner isnt until 8pm. so i still have plenty of time to get ready and see my family.

I also work the 27th-31st, i am booked FULL. normally i'm dead and close but with this new place i am the only (and i mean only) spa in the area that is open from those dates. all the services are prepaid an non refundable so even if they cancel don't show up, i still have the money. yay me!

Thanks geeg, I said exactly this and it's fine now. I'm closed until New Year.

I'm such a push-over sometimes, I need to man up a bit.

Thanks geeg, I said exactly this and it's fine now. I'm closed until New Year.

I'm such a push-over sometimes, I need to man up a bit.

Bravo Claire!!! Have a happy care free break and enjoy every minute. It will be much easier to 'man up' next time around. People have to earn your trust and loyalty and so far, she has not done that. Early days, way too early to be handing over keys.

I'm working 22nd and 23rd which I'm looking forward to. It means after 13 years of me doing all the childcare, cleaning, shopping, cooking my husband actually has to do the work to prepare for our drinks party! I'd much rather be doing nails with everyone in a Christmassy mood.

So now I am completely exhausted and beginning to see what everyone's going on about (too late obviously)! Have also stupidly agreed to do a friend's nails tomorrow. Next year will be different.

Well you should have listened to me ... The voice of experience.

I do hope there are no more nutty ones working tomorrow but if there are good luck.

In the meantime may I take the opportunity to wish anyone reading this a very Happy Christmas and a fruiuitful New year. Enjoy yourselves and a well earned bit of time off. :hug:

Last edited:
Merry Christmas to you too Geeg and to everyone else! Xoxo.

Latest posts

Back