Christmas appointments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
I don't know if any or you will heed my advice on this one, but I thought I would tell you of my experience.

As most of you know, I worked my years behind the nail desk just like all of you are doing right now ... MANY years of 8 till 8 (and beyond), always giving my all to the clients.

Every year, starting from August in some cases, my devoted clients would start to book their Christmas appointments!!! Yes ... August. Christmas eve filled up before anything else. Why, I used to wonder, did clients who would normally go for 3 weeks between maintenance appointments all feel they had to jam in the day before Christmas? It used to take ages to get them all on an even routine again after Christmas.

Anyway, Christmas eve would come and the phone would never stop ringing from the moment we got to the salon, while many of the said adoring clients cancelled their appointments until after the new year, because they were too busy!!!

After about 3 years of this, I decided we would not take any appointments, and we would close the salon on Christmas eve. It gave all of we technicians time to give to our own families and celebrations and it was great.

Here is the reality. We were always so full with all the regulars before Christmas that we couldn't fit in new customers, so we really didn't gain over the Christmas period because we did all the same old same old! We made more money, (because we worked longer hours) but in reality we didn't because we were not building new clientele.

It was JANUARY when we got all the new business!!! Everyone who had seen and liked our beautiful nails at parties over the holidays, were booking in for full sets.

Maybe take a little time for yourself and your own families this year?

Last edited:
thank you for that very good advice ..... you do always think to get everyone in on xmas eve and i was debating this only because i put my family first.....now you have explianed this ,i will not be open xmas eve :green::green:xx

I never ...(get me .... never .. i mean for 3 years..:lol:) work Christmas eve...its my daughters Birthday and i have 2 other children also to make sure everything is ready for.

If clients don't like it and judge me for that 1 day over the whole year then pity them.

this is a fab thread really , because i have worked xmas eve before only a couple of clients not all day .... but if my hubby has to work i go mad at him for not spending xmas with the family , cant believe i only just realised this !! :eek:
this year though i am deffo gonna have a bit more fun , it seems stress just builds up and ends up feeling like "just another day "

i like christmas eve better tham christmas day itself, its that great sense of anticipation i enjoy. i wont be working christmas eve.

my christmas week appointments are fully booked now.

I too never work Christmas Eve, we go to the afternoon panto and have done since my son now 15 was born. This has always been special to my family and the start of Christmas for us. Having said that I will however be working half day on Sunday 23rd December and in-between Christmas and New Year.

In Norway we celebrate Christmas Eve, so I never work on Christmas Eve. I am used to work 9-9 in December and is usually fully booked for December in August. This December is more quite, because I want it to be, I am going to work my usual time and a Saturday, but not more. I DO HAVE A LIFE OUTSIDE THE SALON! :lol::lol::lol:

C.

I have flat out REFUSED to book Christmas Eve.
I have 2 very young children. Christmas eve is for baking cookies, setting them out for Santa, reading an xmas story, and tucking them in.
THEN it's the madness of taking gifts out of hiding to pop under the tree, assembling anything requiring assembly, stuffing stockings.....

Christmas is for CHILDREN...not for the adults!
As long as I breathe, it will remain that way: whether my own, or my grandchildren.
I will NOT work Christmas eve.

And yes, I am inclined to agree with Gigi... the new business comes in January.

I have taken 1 booking for Christmas Eve, its in the morning though at 8.30am, and she is a very good regular, I know she will turn up, and I will only be 3 hours tops, shes booked in for a Spa Pedicure and L&P with glitter!

I to have 2 small kids so will not be taking anyone else for Christmas Eve, as everyone has said its time for the kids!

xxx:hug:

I like to take off the week between X-mas and New Year's, plus X-mas Eve. My hubby does the same, it's a great way to catch up with everyone and have quality time with the kids.
Most of my clients book for 6 months at a time so I know when I can take new people. I start getting busier around the end of November and it keeps up till February.

I do very little nails, its mostly spray tans, but I wont be working just before or after Christmas day as Im bringing my children to New York for Christmas.I know my spray tan clients are going to panic as I wont be tanning them for Christmas day but they'll have to get over it.

As VHunter said,
Christmas is for CHILDREN...not for the adults!

I've never worked on Chrismas Eve cause my family lives away from me, so i leave that day free to travel to them, this year i might stay in my own homw, but i'll save that day for preparing my supper and christmas party. I always make sure i advise my regulars at least 2 maintenances away of the dates i'm not available and that this period is very busy so don't leave the bookings for the last time.
I actually get several new clients in December (but i'm not fully booked) but most of them is for the New Years Eve, and only a small part becomes regular.

Well all I can say is that you guys rock because you have got smarter allot quicker than I did!! :) But maybe some still need to hear it!

great advice geeg xxxxxxxx

I moved about two years ago to another country and had to start my client list all over again.........but !!!!

When I was more fully booked years ago I would only work half a day on Christmas eve and then take Christmas off, and the day after ( my daughters birthday ) then come back to work on the 27th.....

I put a sign up in November telling clients this and to book accordingly.......if the client had a problem with it .....or a " quick fix" the day of .....or the day after ....they were advised to make due......

Life does not end because of fingernails......

I will not ....nor ever have put business before family......

and I have to disagree with VHunter......Christmas is for kids and adults!!!

and as for new clients.....I seem to get them all year long !!

Yup it took me a few years to cotton on. Christmas is a time for family and life is too short not to. Mind I'll be in the UK for Crimbo so i can't work even if I wanted to. :green::green:

However I still can't decide whether to work New Year's Eve when i get back ... what's everyone's view on this?

Yup it took me a few years to cotton on. Christmas is a time for family and life is too short not to. Mind I'll be in the UK for Crimbo so i can't work even if I wanted to. :green::green:

However I still can't decide whether to work New Year's Eve when i get back ... what's everyone's view on this?

I always did ... but then I HATE and Loathe New Years Eve! I have always thought it meaningless and false and a time when fellas that shouldn't, push their luck with those who don't want them to. :lol:

I have never worked christmas eve.

This year though Rich and i were going away for christmas with Family,but we have decided to be just the 2 of us.

My clientele have actually commented"oh i expect you will be closed christmas eve"....my answer is a resounding "yes".:green:

And anyway January is always a busy month for me,for body treatments,everyone is getting over christmas:)

I always did ... but then I HATE and Loathe New Years Eve! I have always thought it meaningless and false and a time when fellas that shouldn't, push their luck with those who don't want them to. :lol:

Ah but I have someone I DO want to be with this year, and he can push his luck all he likes! :lol::lol:

Still can't decide, Joyce and Stella aren't so I'd be on my lonesome! I can just see me being stood up all day the same as Christmas Eve. Doh I'll ask the girls and see what they say! boy i used to be indecisive and now I'm not so sure!

nope i dont work new years either....and have never (oops there i go again...in 3 years)...been asked to.

Latest posts

Back