Christmas craft ideas for kids

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanosnana

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to share a few craft ideas and maybe get some ideas from you FABBY geeks!

Last year, Deano and I made Ice Cream Cone ornaments. I took real cones and sprayed them with a sealant. I did several coats and when dry, glued styrofoam balls onto the cones. This was done before he came over.

When he was available, he dipped the styrofoam ball into acrylic paint. Pink for strawberry ice cream and brown for chocolate. If the paint dripped onto the cone, all the better.

When dry, we drizzled darker brown paint onto the ice cream to make it look like chocolate topping, then sprinkled with glitter. I attached tags to the hooks that read: Hand dipped especially for you. They came out very cute!

This year we are making 'cookie dough' ornaments.

Ingredients

• 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Mix flour and salt well. Gradually add water, stirring with a large spoon. Finish mixing with hands. Knead until soft and pliable.
  3. Roll out on floured surface about 1/8 inch thick. Cut shapes with cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheets. With a toothpick make a hole in the top of the ornament for threading string. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) until hard, about 1 hour. Decorate with paint and varnish to preserve.
I thought these would be cute decorated with glitter glue.

In keeping with the dessert theme from last year, I was thinking of getting some bakery boxes to put them into so Deano can give them out as gifts to his grandparents.

What kid friendly Christmas craft ideas do you have to share?

Two months from today is the day AFTER New Year's Day! :wink2:

Oh wow i love the ice cream cone idea!!

What kind of sealent did you use?

I just used a clear spray sealant you can get at the craft store. It comes in glossy and matte finish. HTH! :)

Do you know, I think Deano is as much a part of the geek family as you, Nana?

Do you know, I think Deano is as much a part of the geek family as you, Nana?

You are so sweet to say so. When he's over and I'm geeking, he wants to look at all the avatars and guess who they are. :D

We made An*Gel a pic last winter.

You are so sweet to say so. When he's over and I'm geeking, he wants to look at all the avatars and guess who they are. :D

No way! A picture from Deano. The ultimate.

Tell Deano I want one! With Christmas lights in the Palm Trees!

Here are two I'd like to share. My son and I made these when he was little but I found them in Real Simple Magazine.

The first is a very Florida snow man.
0312-clementine-man_300.jpg

We used a skewer, but I guess toothpicks would work. Raisins for eyes. They used cloves. Peppermint sticks for arms and nose. Licorice vine for scarf. The hat is a Nilla wafer and layered peppermints held together with frosting. Easy-peasy.

The second is a Nilla-wafer tree.
tree-part_300.jpg
You can use store bought white frosting or make your own. Spread a thin layer on a Styrofoam cone, then, working up from the bottom, overlap vanilla wafers (use straight pins to hold them in place until the frosting dries). Use a small sieve to dust each finished tree with confectioners’ sugar.

Here are two I'd like to share. My son and I made these when he was little but I found them in Real Simple Magazine.

View attachment 9794

We used a skewer, but I guess toothpicks would work. Raisins for eyes. They used cloves. Peppermint sticks for arms and nose. Licorice vine for scarf. The hat is a Nilla wafer and layered peppermints held together with frosting. Easy-peasy.

View attachment 9793
You can use store bought white frosting or make your own. Spread a thin layer on a Styrofoam cone, then, working up from the bottom, overlap vanilla wafers (use straight pins to hold them in place until the frosting dries). Use a small sieve to dust each finished tree with confectioners’ sugar.
I love these ideas. What is a Nilla wafer? We probably have something similar in the UK, I'm just not sure what it is.

nilla_wafer.jpg

It's a vanilla flavored cookie that is flat on the bottom with a slight dome shape on the top. I would imagine that any delicious cookie with that shape would suffice.

View attachment 9794

View attachment 9793

Those are AWESOME. Thank you for sharing! :)

View attachment 9796

It's a vanilla flavored cookie that is flat on the bottom with a slight dome shape on the top. I would imagine that any delicious cookie with that shape would suffice.

Nilla Wafers...YUM, she said drooling all over desk! :)

If you have a real young one, this is a good craft.

candy-cane-reindeer-1.jpg

I LOVED my picture last year... it was my name sprayed in the snow and it really made my day!

I really should be a good Mother and try out your craft ideas... my Son will be thrilled!

I LOVED my picture last year... it was my name sprayed in the snow and it really made my day!

I really should be a good Mother and try out your craft ideas... my Son will be thrilled!

Are you sure it was sprayed? The snow wasn't YELLOW was it?

You know how gross little boys can be. Even little darlings like Deano.

I asked for that didn't I?!

Some GREAT ideas, geeks!

This one has a very child-like finish, but can look quite effective for a playroom or bedroom. ('Fraid I don't do tasteful!)

This makes a 2D Christmas tree for wall display.
Use shades of green paper, or white which the child paints green- messy but fun. (Other colours could be used)
The child/ren draw around their splayed hands and cut out many times.
The cut-out hands are then glued at just the wrist end in a downwards, overlapping pattern in a triangular tree shape on a large sheet of paper.
Put a star on the top and trunk/pot at bottom to finish.

(Hope this makes some sort of sense. I've being sticking hats on Peppa Pig and friends all day)

I'm literally LMAO! :D

Some GREAT ideas, geeks!

This one has a very child-like finish, but can look quite effective for a playroom or bedroom. ('Fraid I don't do tasteful!)

This makes a 2D Christmas tree for wall display.
Use shades of green paper, or white which the child paints green- messy but fun. (Other colours could be used)
The child/ren draw around their splayed hands and cut out many times.
The cut-out hands are then glued at just the wrist end in a downwards, overlapping pattern in a triangular tree shape on a large sheet of paper.
Put a star on the top and trunk/pot at bottom to finish.

(Hope this makes some sort of sense. I've being sticking hats on Peppa Pig and friends all day)

I can just picture it in my head. VERY cute...thanks for sharing! :)

He would have a blast making the ice cream cones! :hug:

Latest posts

Back