Christmas discounts-advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucylou2303

Reaction score
Hello geeks,
I'm a little stuck... I have a loyalty scheme which allows clients after 5 treatments to receive 25% off and after 10 50% I'm quite relaxed on the fact I allow them to save their discounts to use when they would like and on a treatment worth while, however I have noticed quite a few have sneakily been keeping well over due ones for their Christmas appointments. As you know how busy we all are I really don't want to be flat out and only charging half price treatments.
Do you think its fair to put a notice up and send e-mails etc to inform clients that during December they will still gain a stamp on their loyalty card but can't use the discount during December as we are extremely busy (or how would you word this to sound fair?) also I will offer all clients to receive a extra 25% off voucher to use on a treatment of their choice during Jan.
What do you think? What do you do? Advice?
Thanks in advance

No, I don't think that would be fair and if a salon that I went to did this, they would probably lose my custom. I believe that you have to set out the terms and conditions before the offer, but now it appears you wish to change them afterwards.

By all means add a new incentive for January, say an extra 25% or what ever, and hope that some people will take you up on that , but I think you should still honour the ones that want the discount in December.

I would be inclined to not honor them during December, it's just too busy! Send out a warning now so they've been informed in advance
Good luck

50/50 so far... Any other geeks to advise please? Thanks guys

Thinking about this further, does it really matter when you give the discount?

Either way they are just paying half price, so maybe you wont notice it in your December takings, but in January, when things are quieter, you might prefer for clients to pay the full price.

The treatments are going to take exactly the same amount of time.

Thanks for your comments..
December guarantees appointments and money however January doesn't its usually quiet so to offer a extra incentive would entice more clients to come in during this period. I would still allow clients to use their discounts on loyalty cards (aswell as) but just not during the crucial month of December where you rely on good takings for the business.
I do see your point though this is where I'm undecided what to do x

If they have stored them up, by paying full price in the times they could have got a discount-your takings for previous appointments will have been higher than they normally would... Unless im missing something (I probably am) I think either way you will earn the same amount in the long run...so why not let them use it?

& maybe review how your system works in the new year if you are not happy with it xx

Its fairly reasonable for you to say "due to high demand unfortunately we are unable to accept loyalty discount cards throughout December"
however you have left it far ti late to introduce it this year you should of been informing the loyal clients about this all the way back in June! I would say you have to cut your losses this year and introduce it next year but inform them wellnim advance!
Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

You give loyalty discounts as a reward for their loyalty, I don't think that you can say "oh you can't use them in December though" if I were a client I'd be thinking "why not, you're making more money?!"
I do however think you need to be more strict from now on. When the client gets that final stamp say " ooh you get your discount today" and just do it. If they ask to save it for a more expensive service, tell them politely that you've had to tighten your policy to ensure clients are getting the discounts for the right appointments.
I write clients names on mine too, some people pass them to friends and family. That's not loyalty!

Yes your all right thanks for clarifying for me.
X

I don't think it would be fair to limit it! They are loyal clients who some might of had the extra treatment this month to get their discount for next month.. Maybe encourage to book at a different time when they fill up their card eg birthdays, special occasions instead of Xmas! Rather keep loyal happy clients :) I do understand where you are coming from though! Good luck xx

No, I wouldn't do that either, if nothing states they can't use them at certain times or save them up you can't really change it now :-(
Maybe start the new with fresh loyalty card system stating they can't be used I conjunction with any other offer and can only be redeemed between ...

Latest posts

Back