Christmas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byKaty

Reaction score
I know for some it's probably too early to even think about Christmas but is anyone else not feeling it this year or is it just me??
I've normally started my shopping and getting in the Christmas mood but this year I'm just feeling 'meh'. Really can't be arsed at the min. .maybe cos I'm skint broke and dreading shopping.

This year I'm really excited. I can't wait to get my tree up and starting wrapping presents/writing cards.
I've had years though where I've felt very flat and not at all interested.

Last year i was so uninterested but i think its because i was skint. My friend ended up coming round a few days before xmas and putting my tree up and wrapping presents for me. This year i cant wait! Have bought most of my presents and have started wrapping!

See that's usually me. I love wrapping presents too! Hopefully I will feel more in the mood soon. Going to Edinburgh for weekend next weekend with my partner, he's on a course on the Sunday so we are making weekend of it. Part of me can see it far enough cos am skint but the Ln part of me is thinking I can do my shopping while there.
How much does everyone spend on gifts for family? (Parents, siblings etc) do you buy a bunch of stuff or 1 nice gift?

In our family we buy a bunch of stuff as we like opening presents. So usually I spend about £50 per person but then that's only my mum and two sisters. Their partners about £20 - £25. My partner around £100. BUT I am quite generous so don't think this is the norm lol.
I know some families put a cap on present amounts. So I think it really depends on your tradition/money situation

I normally spend about £50 on brothers and sisters each, they normally want perfume or aftershave. My mum i get a few things, normally end up spending over £100 on her. My husband i get quite a lot of presents for, normally one main present and then aftershave, clothes etc and something silly from the kids. Luckily my brother and sister don't have partners so that saves me a bit. I think i go over the top a bit but i LOVE christmas shopping!

I'm waiting for black friday to get into xmas mode. I honestly i cant wait for 2016! xoxo

i was actually thinking of making some nice wee sweets and treats for his side, as they give out every year that he spends too much on them (his folks area a bit price obssessed. everything is so expensive these days, blah blah....) that wont stop him buying stuff for them mind.
no idea what to get him as clothes arent easy as hes in good shape so alot of brands are too small a fitting but then the XL is too baggy round the middle. my wee boy is only 2 so easy enough, few toys and some books and clothes. dont know about my folks either, might just give them vouchers.

Their rushing everything! Thanksgiving is a big holiday too and people tend to skip that and go straight to Christmas.. I love both but I definitely feel like it's too early for Christmas right now, I wait until after Thanksgiving (when I'm in a food coma) for music, presents, everything! Haha[emoji4]

Ive finished my christmas shopping and wrapped about 2 thirds of them already! So excited!!!

What do people tend to buy their parents??!!
I'm tired of getting them the same gift vouchers for beauty treatments and for clothes!
My parents don't have hobbies either so I'm stuck big time [emoji30]

I'm tired of getting them the same gift vouchers for beauty treatments and for clothes!

Same here.

I always get my mum nice beauty products or perfume that she would never buy for herself. Also things like yankee candles, for my dad i used to buy dvds, aftershave, books, gadget things. I have also got them joint things like afternoon tea at the crazy bear or theatre breaks.

Jeez! You lot are generous!!
We do secret Santa so only by for 1 sibling or partner and spend £30. I'll probably spend £30 on my dad. And £15/£20 on my niece. And maybe £5/£10 on my friends daughter and £5/£10 on my cousins 3 children.

I massively struggle what to get my dad. I did say a microwave. But only cuz ours is broke and I don't know what to get! [emoji23]

I haven't even thought about Christmas. It's my sisters wedding 2 weeks Saturday. So get that over and done with first. X

I always arrange a weekend away for mine and/or a subscription. Then I get them individual presents that they wouldn't necessarily buy themselves.

Last year I bought them a subscription to Hotel Chocolat (I.e they get a box of posh chocolates through the post every month (and I get to eat some)) and paid for a weekend in a hotel in North Yorks. We ended up all joining them (dogs included) and so it ended up being a really lovely weekend.

I've bought them short breaks across Europe (the flights are always quite cheap) but it's very much dependent on how good the weather is, unless you wait until later in the year when the prices shoot up.

I always arrange a weekend away for mine and/or a subscription. Then I get them individual presents that they wouldn't necessarily buy themselves.

Last year I bought them a subscription to Hotel Chocolat (I.e they get a box of posh chocolates through the post every month (and I get to eat some)) and paid for a weekend in a hotel in North Yorks. We ended up all joining them (dogs included) and so it ended up being a really lovely weekend.

I've bought them short breaks across Europe (the flights are always quite cheap) but it's very much dependent on how good the weather is, unless you wait until later in the year when the prices shoot up.

I just read you paid for a weekend in New York!! [emoji23]

Oh I love hotel chocolat! I used to be a member but had to cancel for the sake of my thighs.
I have 3 children but I'm very fortunate as we write their letters to Santa, give them to my ex and he buys everything then gives it to me to wrap. I get them gifts from me.
It's my son's birthday today so tomorrow we are in Christmas mode....I'm so excited. Got tickets for a movie drive in and Christmas light show and choir in Edinburgh.

Ciderella, if I send you my Santa list, will your ex buy for me too?! [emoji23]

I've thought of one joint present for my parents. No idea if any of you have heard of it. It's called clue hq which is a real life escape room game, you get an hour to escape and think it's like £90 for 6 people to solve. We all love that kind of thing in my family so will be a fun day out! [emoji1]

I just read you paid for a weekend in New York!! [emoji23]

Lol. Nope, nowhere near as exciting and the shops weren't as good either! Gin was ok though :)

If they really wanted to go somewhere though I'd try my hardest to arrange it. To me, life's a bit too short, and if I can create nice times and happy memories then it's money well spent.

Latest posts

Back