Chroma Gel the new answer to cheaper gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shahildar

Reaction score
Hi all

I was reading through the beauty express brochure and saw a new product called chroma gel!

I'm a new nail tech and have been looking at the different gels .. I posted a question on here but for no replies :(

But. The brochure explains this to be the answer to make normal polish into a gel finish?

What do you girlies and guys think?

X

Anybody got any views? X

I haven't read about that one yet. A lot of people have tried shellac over ordinary polish but is doesn't last, so I think you could probably use any gel type top coat over any polish. But idont think it ever works aswell as using a complete system xxx

I've looked into this as a way to get into gel without the large outlay, it seems you put a layer of gel, cure, polish of choice, wait for it to dry, another layer of gel, cure.
You can also mix your polish with the gel and apply that way, would be easier to cut out drying time.
The only thing that has concerned me is the fact that no one has really heard of it, so not sure if it would bring in the custom?
I may try it on the customers I already have as their training is free so no loss if it's no good. Hth x

Is it similar to Mani Q gel by Young Nails then? They have one you can mix with your own polish xx

How does this work then? I was told when training that you couldn't apply a gel top coat over normal polish as it's not completely dry and can therefore cause fungal problems underneath the layer of gel top coat?

What's to stop anyone just putting on normal polish and then putting for instance, NSI Glaze and Go over the top of it.

Hi hun

Ive heard of chroma gel but not tried it. My bother with layering over polish is the time in which it takes to dry before the final layer goes on. That said ive neither trained nor tried the product as the op said training is free. The mixing with polish sounds like the better option out of the two in my opinion. You can also do this with young nails maniq and i know of a few techs who have had great results and can revive their polish collection :) have a look in the gel polish lovers group there is a great thread all about it in there.

Ha ha sorry thats not really answered your chroma gel question has it hun, but thought id let you know of another product out there too.

Love n hugs x x x

Sorry to clarify i meant how long it takes for polish to dry before the final layer of chroma gel is applied over the top x x x

I've just had mine delivered this week but not had a go yet. It comes with a paper manual advising on how to use it it suggests adding 1-2 drops of thinner to yr usual polish to speed up drying time as it needs to be touch dry before putting top gel on. As another geek said 1 coat gel for base then two of yr thinned polish wait till its touch dry then 1-2 coats of gel over it. It does advised how to mix yr polish directly into some gel too but I would imagine that will be difficult to match if you run out on nail 8 and need to mix some more? Will get to try it this week though xx

ive been on the training and use chromagel. i use opi axxium for my soak off gel but its handy to have encase a client wants a colour in gel that i dont have as i have lots of polishes so there is always something someone likes there. so its a good stand by for me. they offer free training which i would recommend coz its easy then you know how but very difficult teaching yourself. it seems straightforward but its easy to make little mistakes so i would highly recomend doing the training. the trainer is called Kat and she is very nice. i dont use the over the polish method only the mixing one as i dont like to wait for it to dry.

How does this work then? I was told when training that you couldn't apply a gel top coat over normal polish as it's not completely dry and can therefore cause fungal problems underneath the layer of gel top coat?

sorry to say your training is very incorrect - the solvents in nail polish will kill pathogens very nicely..
added to that, fungus is almost non-existent on hands as the environment is completely wrong for it to thrive...

The science behind these products sounds quite misleading and would
undoubtedly lead to service breakdown...

Lets look at why...

1) polish you mix into gel..
gel is an oligomer (short chain of preformed monomers) that uses a catalyst to turn into a solid - nail polish is a solvent evaporation leaving behind a nitrocellulose plastic coating
Mixing these two together will stop the solvents evaporating through the polymers forming AND the polymers will not be able form fully into long chains due to solvents and polish ingredients blocking the chain formation..

2) polish with gel applied over top
In theory this could work, but would have the following limitation - if the polish is not fully cured the solvents will not be able to evaporate, weaking the structure. (NAIL POLISH TAKES UP TO 12 H0URS FOR ALL SOLVENTS TO EVAPORATE) So.... would you wait till tomorrow to top coat?
And most importantly, the gel will then only stay on as well as the polish can hold it, as opposed to a full gel system that has the bond direct to the nail plate...

anyway, thats my science lesson over - I'm sure many techs will find it works 'good enough' for them and won't be worried ;)

I have found that when mixing the gel with the polish it dilutes the color so you have to apply extra layers which then takes extra time under the lamp for each layer. I have used it occasionally and it does seem to last for a couple of weeks but you will have to make your own mind up. It is handy for using favorite nail polish colors and cheaper than buying a range of gel colors but it is still fairly expensive to buy the whole product range especially if your clients prefer Gellish or Shellac

I am thinking of buying this product as i have so many redundant polishes. What primer and bonder are people using as beauty express dont recommend a brand? xx

Hrm I tried it whilst waiting for gelish to come. Its ok but the pot doesnt go a long way considering how much you use for each set of nails. Dont think i'll be buying it again.

I am thinking of buying this product as i have so many redundant polishes. What primer and bonder are people using as beauty express dont recommend a brand? xx

We use the APN bonder and primer - Highly recommend it.

I'm really disappointed with this product. I have only tried the mixing method as didn't want to wait ages for the nail polish to dry. It diluted the polish colour way too much, it didn't go on evenly and was nothing like the demo the tech did on me at the show. I have the instructions and have followed them and tried quite a few times but it just doesn't work. It's a real faff and each time I have ended up having to take it off and go back to using my actual gel polishes.

For a range of Gels that are inexpensive and don't let you down I really like 'Daisy' and also Cuccio pure gel colours are really good too.

As above I have to say I am afraid it wasnt for me ...I wasnt impressed and wasnt as simple as it sounded in my honest opinion ;-(

Latest posts

Back