Chrome dust-nose irritation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ah10abf

Reaction score
Does anybody wear a mask when using any dust pigments- I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and for a few days afterwards my nose felt irritated and was slightly bleeding? I've only just thought that might have been why. Has anybody else experienced this? If wearing a mask how do you explain to clients why you're doing so?

Depending on the ingredients of your chrome dust some containing aluminium can be very dangerous. Do you have an MSDS for yours?

Depending on the ingredients of your chrome dust some containing aluminium can be very dangerous. Do you have an MSDS for yours?

Yes, no aluminium in ingredients list, it's a well known and trusted brand of glitter- all msds are freely available on the website

Can there be aluminium particles in glitters??!! [emoji33]

It is not the Aluminium which is the problem I believe . Vast amounts of cosmetics have aluminium in them . It is other ingredients in the pigments which can be the problem which is why you should always buy from a reputable company

Quote from chemical source in the US although regulations in the EU are much more stringent than this .

## Aluminum powder is FDA approved as safe for use for coloring cosmetics. When used in a cosmetic product, per FDA regulations, the safety of the ingredient must be substantiated by the manufacturer of the product.

I think the difference with aluminium is when mixed with other ingredients for cosmetics it's perfectly safe, however when the chrome craze began it was with loose fine aluminium powder which can be inhaled and which is a problem.

It is not the Aluminium which is the problem I believe . Vast amounts of cosmetics have aluminium in them . It is other ingredients in the pigments which can be the problem which is why you should always buy from a reputable company

Quote from chemical source in the US although regulations in the EU are much more stringent than this .

## Aluminum powder is FDA approved as safe for use for coloring cosmetics. When used in a cosmetic product, per FDA regulations, the safety of the ingredient must be substantiated by the manufacturer of the product.

Its safe when mixed at no greater concentration than 40% , a lot of these nail powders are very close to 100% aluminum powder, particularly the one in the viral video , thats why it is so mirror like. This is clearly not safe for use.

To the OP , have you used glitters in the past with no issues, or is it just that you are new to glitter and noticing the irritation?

Its safe when mixed at no greater concentration than 40% , a lot of these nail powders are very close to 100% aluminum powder, particularly the one in the viral video , thats why it is so mirror like. This is clearly not safe for use.

Yes excatly , this is why I said buy from a reputable company but a lot of these powders also have a very high concentration of Magnesium Fluoride which is also a health risk in high enough concentration . I am genuinely worried at this craze and the speed with which people have bought into it without truly considering the effect on their health using micro fine powders day in day out

You also have to take into account that a lot of nail products made in the states have been passed for cosmetic use in the USA but some actually do not met EU cosmetic regulations so should not be sold in the UK

To the OP , have you used glitters in the past with no issues, or is it just that you are new to glitter and noticing the irritation?

I've never had this problem with anything before- just this dust pigment.

Any suggestions as to how to explain the mask?

If this is the only powder that is causing you problems, Instead of a mask i would consider dumping the powder and getting a different one. Nothing you use should ever make your nose bleed and be that irritated, Think of your own health, is it really worth putting that at risk for the sake of a nail fad that will be old news in a couple of months?

Also the only mask that will work effectively are the masks which kind of look like gas masks, paper masks will do nothing to protect you as the particles are often too fine with nail dusts and may still travel through a paper mask. Effective masks are not only expensive, but scary from a consumer point of view.

The cost of a good quality mask is probably more than the cost of another more safer alternative.

TBH i don't get this new nail trend, I can see the original non safe powder gave a very chrome effect but the copy cat powders that are safe to use do not product the same chrome effect IMO, the only way to truly get a chrome effect that is completely safe is using Minx. Clients really don't care how the effect is produced, why does a powder have to be used to create the effect when minx will give better results and not make your nose bleed ;) Might be an option for you :)

I had this before when using the neon powders, blowing my nose a while after and it was pink [emoji85][emoji12]!!! Makes you realise how much dust and powder etc we breathe in!!!! X I like the look of the table top extractor! My next purchase for sure!

Where can I get Chrome powder for CND Shellac from?

Just because a product uses cosmetic grade ingredients DOES NOT mean it is safe to breath. The product or ingredient is only safe if used for the application intended and I doubt that anyone considered that these pigments would be applied in powder form on top of nails and the risks of the product becoming airborne.

A simple face mask is never sufficient when using nail products; this will only capture the large visible dust particles. A mask with a safety rating of EN 149 which should be on the label of the mask. This will also stop the smallest particles in the air - but offers no protection against chemical vapours.

Suitable Nail Dust and Fume Extraction is the only method that will protect your health. HSE coshh regulations state in bold on the front page, " Masks are not enough"
Ambermist

Latest posts

Back