Chrome nails, regular top coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msophie

Reaction score
So I’ve recently added nail treatments to my services! I’ve got to the point I’m happy and comfortable with the work I produce with manicures & gel polish, so I thought I would venture into a bit of nail art! The first of my bits to arrive are the chrome powders. It says it requires non-wipe top coat, which I need to order anyway, but I’m impatient and tried it with my regular top coat. They haven’t come out very chrome like, is there a technique to it or do can it simply only be done with a non-wipe top coat?

Attachments

• 191E7868-CEA3-4A5A-A4BA-96D5CDE42029.jpeg
    191E7868-CEA3-4A5A-A4BA-96D5CDE42029.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 75
It doesn't work with the tacky layer, it must be non-wipe - the super smooth, brand new surface allows the chrome to stick and you burnish it to the chrome finish. You can't get the look with a tacky layer, it just sticks and clumps.

You can 'dry wipe' the sticky layer off and try, sometimes it works ok, but no wipe topcoat is better

It doesn't work with the tacky layer, it must be non-wipe - the super smooth, brand new surface allows the chrome to stick and you burnish it to the chrome finish. You can't get the look with a tacky layer, it just sticks and clumps.

You can 'dry wipe' the sticky layer off and try, sometimes it works ok, but no wipe topcoat is better

Why doesn't it work on wiped gel top coat? That would be smooth.

And do you top coat again over the chrome?

Personally I've found chrome powder difficult to apply and it seems to wear on the free edge quickly and / or peel off.
To be honest I only use it if I am using it with a stamped design where the pattern edges keep the chrome in place.
Some say that applying base coat over the chrome before top coat helps adhesion.

As much as I like the chrome effect, a happy client with no repairs coming back is more important.
I've recently taken on the Lecente gel polish and their rainbow range has a couple of colours which are quite 'chromy-looking' and stay on solidly.

If you are just getting into nail art master glitter first - and this is really easy and successful every time. :)

A wiped nail is not a tacky layer, two different surfaces.

If you don't top coat it won't stay on :rolleyes:
Thanks. I have never used a no wipe top coat. I will get some now.

Latest posts

Back