Chrome nails with Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staystrongsoa

Reaction score
Hey guys :) so my chrome nail powder from Daily Charme arrived today and I'm super excited to try it out.

Although, after reading through some other chrome nail threads on SG I have to say I'm a bit scared to see what happens as in my salon we pretty much exclusively use shellac with a small gelish collection.

Any tips for me?
TIA

Hello
I've been doing chrome nails with shellac. The best result I have found is do a normal shellac manicure finishing with top coat etc and remove the sticky then apply the powder with eyeshadow applicator. Then apply top coat again. I use the silver dust and found a good one on eBay! I use it over different colours for different effects xxx

Hello
I've been doing chrome nails with shellac. The best result I have found is do a normal shellac manicure finishing with top coat etc and remove the sticky then apply the powder with eyeshadow applicator. Then apply top coat again. I use the silver dust and found a good one on eBay! I use it over different colours for different effects xxx
It can be used with shellac just like she said but I will say it does not get the super mirror look. I have gotten a no wipe top coat to try instead of the shellac topcoat. Gonna try tomorrow.

I recently done my own acrylic extensions. I purchased a chrome pigment from eBay and tried it out today. Wow wow wow is all I can say.
I applied just a regular nail polish over my acrylics, applied a clear gel top coat, cured for 2 minutes, removed tacky layer and re applied top coat and cured for a further 2 mins.
Absolutely stunning. Will try and post pics tomorrow. Good luck!

I recently done my own acrylic extensions. I purchased a chrome pigment from eBay and tried it out today. Wow wow wow is all I can say.
I applied just a regular nail polish over my acrylics, applied a clear gel top coat, cured for 2 minutes, removed tacky layer and re applied top coat and cured for a further 2 mins.
Absolutely stunning. Will try and post pics tomorrow. Good luck!

Youll probably find it will peel off fairly soon, you cant put gel polish over normal polish. Normal polish never fully dries, (like the ink on a £50 note) it continually emits vapours, if you trap the gasses in gel polish it has to get out somehow and will bubble and peel. You can sometimes get away with it over polish a few days old but it won't last long

Youll probably find it will peel off fairly soon, you cant put gel polish over normal polish. Normal polish never fully dries, (like the ink on a £50 note) it continually emits vapours, if you trap the gasses in gel polish it has to get out somehow and will bubble and peel. You can sometimes get away with it over polish a few days old but it won't last long
Trinity Cuccio advise to use their universal gel top coat over their normal polish for longevity although I haven't tried it yet.

I've only ever used shellac. Could I just buy a different top coat to put the powder on? I.e do a full shellac service then add different gel top coat for the powder? I don't want the shellac to break down or be difficult to remove. Advice please x

Hey @Trinity

Sorry to drag up an older post, but I find this really interesting & wondered if this same bubbling/trapped gasses is common with freshly cured Gel polish?

Ive had 2 recent problems that have baffled me- firstly an application of Nail Hugs over Shellac. Full shellac protocol & products used & out of 4 accent nails, one bubbled & wiped off overnight (the other 3 lasted a fortnight!)

And this week a chrome application again over shellac that 4 out of 10 bubbled & peeled within days. Both times the coloured polish underneath was perfect, it was just from the 'coating' upwards that had problems so im guessing thats creating a barrier?

Would waiting for a bit after curing make any difference do you think? Or doesn't it work like that lol!

Baffled from Essex haha! Xx

Hey @Trinity

Sorry to drag up an older post, but I find this really interesting & wondered if this same bubbling/trapped gasses is common with freshly cured Gel polish?

Ive had 2 recent problems that have baffled me- firstly an application of Nail Hugs over Shellac. Full shellac protocol & products used & out of 4 accent nails, one bubbled & wiped off overnight (the other 3 lasted a fortnight!)

And this week a chrome application again over shellac that 4 out of 10 bubbled & peeled within days. Both times the coloured polish underneath was perfect, it was just from the 'coating' upwards that had problems so im guessing thats creating a barrier?

Would waiting for a bit after curing make any difference do you think? Or doesn't it work like that lol!

Baffled from Essex haha! Xx

Hi, no problem...

Nail Hugs - I've not used them, but I've watch the videos, they're a kind of transfer, so if they are peeling off I suggest it's more about the adhesion of the hug than the top coat. Did you apply them to the sticky layer of the colour coat or wipe first? (which ever way you tried, try the other way) If it was the topcoat peeling off the Hug then I suspect the Hug has a shiny surface which the top coat just can't 'grab' on to to stick enough. Not sure if you could quickly wipe over the surface of the Hug with cleanser to break up the shine, or if that will damage it??? You might have to have a play and see what works.

With Top Coat peeling off chrome, thats usually down to too much pigment left on the nail before top coating, be sure to remove the excess, again allowing the top coat to 'grab' on to adhered product rather than loose dust on the surface.

HTH

Hi, Ive been using a chrome powder over gel polish and a no wipe LED top coat. Im leaving a gap between the cuticle and nail walls but I find its gathering in this area even after washing. Its also lookimg patchy after rubbing. What am I doing wrong?

Latest posts

Back