Chronic nail biter

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeetNailz

Reaction score
Wonder if I can pick your brains :study: . Although I am still training the home course I am following does not cover everything about the application of extensions on different types of nails (only that it can be done on some but not on others)such as the above :huh: . Purely out of interest at this time and because I have an inquisitive mind :idea: I have a friend who bites her fingernails (all but one are not too badly bitten and should not pose too much of a problem for extensions). However she bites one thumb nail so badly :mrgreen: that not only does she bite the end of the finger nail but she also bites the nail on the nail bed from cuticle to end (or at least picks at it) :aww: . It is very uneven with big dips in it and is an awful brown in colour. I believe this to be called Onychophagy (is that right). Anyway she wonders if she could have extensions as she feels feels that this will stop her from further damaging this nail and thereby allowing it to grow iunder the extension (she has tried to stop biting it but cannot) :rolleyes: . Can someone please tell me how they would apply a tip to this thumb if they were using gel - would they use a coloured gel (pink) to stop the brown from showing through. How would they get a tip to stick since the surface is so lumpy. I would be interested to hear how this would be achieved from start to finish :queen: .

Julie :devil:

Hi Julie,
Good luck with your home learn course. It is always advisable not to work on nails that are badly damaged but this is what I would do with a lumpy nail.
When attaching the tip to a lumpy nail try gel bond instead of the normal adhesive, it tends to fill in the nooks and crannies.
Yes I would use a pink gel but in my experience they do not cover completly, they only mask. I would ask her to return for weekly appointments and as soon as you think the natural nail is getting near the free edge take off the whole enhancement and start again.
It takes commitment on behalf of the client but I have had success.

Lynda

it takes commitment from the nail tek AND the client - Lynda gave some sound advise there - gelbond is a great adhesive for 'filling in the gaps', definitley weekly appointments! Make sure this clients doesn't start picking the product as opposed to her thumb nail - educate her from start to finish of what you are doing and the importance of her looking after the enhancements once she leaves your tender, loving care!!! :thumbsup:

Thank you mrs geek, i was of course assuming that nail teks had great commitment :p LOL,

Lynda

Thank you ladies for your comments - they have been taken on board for the future :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back