City and Guilds Certificate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laydeecav

Reaction score
i hold 'The Beauty Therapist's Certificate' from City and Guilds that i got in the 90's. i have recently been offered a job and they are questioning if my certificate is the same as a level 3 standard. Now i know that it is, i've been working in spas for 30 years, but they want a breakdown of the modules i did in writing, so i contacted C&G to ask if they could verify that my certificate is a level 3 only to be told it will cost be £44.00 for them to confirm and take up to 3 weeks!!! Is there any way round this? i have told my 'potential' new employer and they have passed this on to their HR, i don't feel i should have to pay as it is the employers who want the information. I've never had my qualifications questioned before and have been told it for insurance purposes. Anyone had anything similar?

Last edited:
Its standard industry practice for employers to require evidence of individual units studied and all awarding bodies now provide both the main Award certificate and a second certificate listing all the units studied (and an indication of grades achieved).

We’ve become a more litigious society and insurers need to be certain that the therapists they are insuring are fully qualified to carry out the services being offered.

It has always been the candidate’s responsibility to prove the qualifications they state and submitting certificates is the easiest way to do this. All awarding bodies charge fees for providing additional administrative services and they usually employ staff to deal specifically with these sorts of enquiries. Hunting down detailed student data from years ago can take quite a while especially where paper records are involved, so I don’t think this fee is excessive.

Latest posts

Back