Clarification On Diabetics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planet-Nails

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before and i've searched previous posts.

Can someone please clarify for me the facts on treatments for diabetics?

Can nail extensions be put on for both IDD and uncontrolled diabetics?

Other than "cutting" are there any other area's that you need to take extra precautions? For example will having an overlay interfere with monitoring.

What level of manicure or pedicure can be given to diabetics? I understand that you should'nt massage due to increassing the blood supply and blood pressure dropping, but can you still use products or will they interfere with the blood stream?

Sorry to ask so many questions but i'd like to gain as much knowledge on this subject as possible.

Thanks
Taz
x

Another bit to add: check that hands and feet have good sensation at every treatment i.e. make sure water is not too hot, pain can be felt etc

I thought there was a problem because diabetics can experience loss of sensation. We were taught that waxing for instance was unsuitable for diabetics so I would have thought massage and heat treatments could be an issue as may not realise how hot a paraffin wax was for example. I know you test them on yourself fist but that is what we were taught. You can't though test a massage on yourself and need to rely on client to tell you. Also, my mother in law works in a hospital and she says that only certain nurses are allowed to cut toe/finger nails of diabetic patients.

I was taught not to do pedicures at all if the client is diabetic and to offer another service they may be suitable for??

Thanks for all the information so far guys!

This is really helpfull, i've been approached by a diabetic who has been refused ALL treatments by 3 salon's so far!! As she is a member of several diabetic comittees and groups, I need as much info as possible so keep it coming.

I've learnt loads so far but if anyone else has any points please add them!

If i can build up a good reputation with this client it may lead to further, however i would like to know as much as possible.

Kybert, thanks for sharing your life in such an open way! I have a feeling alot could be learnt from your expertise.

Take care

Taz

x

Leading on From Kybert's notes about diabetic neuropathy, went on a course on Wednesday and this point was raised ... because of the loss of sensation you should be very careful when applying gels that can produce heat as a by-product. Because they can't feel the heat and could get heat blisters as a result, they must continually take their hands in and out of the light so that the heat does not have time to develop. Hope this helps.

This is an excellent thread ... I was going to ask a similar question as i am asking all clients (well guinea pigs actually lol) if they are diabetic and when they say no and i breathe a sigh of relief, they ask "why?" and then i was having to explain, which after reading this thread i seem to have got right.
Joanne xx

hi

my mum is diabetic and when i put extensions on her the one thing i have noticed is that they lift really badly on her, does anyone else have this problem she thinks it make be to do with the insulin she is on...?

Katmoz33 said:
hi

my mum is diabetic and when i put extensions on her the one thing i have noticed is that they lift really badly on her, does anyone else have this problem she thinks it make be to do with the insulin she is on...?
my sister is diabetic, she's had no problems. on our course we were told to be vigilant, looking out for maybe strange behaviour, such as drowseyness, or agressiveness, also their breath may smell strange, like pear drops. and because of this, when they first come to you ask what to do in a case like this (apart from insert the insulin, as u have to have a certificate to do this to someone else) and really ensure on client consultation u have a couple of emergency contacts.
we were also told to take extra care when buffing, as u can hurt them, but at first they may not feel the friction, and to be careful with gel, and parafin wax, etc.

I agree with what has been said some colleges discrimanate against people with illness' such as this, we should all be clued up on this. my sister also has epilepsy, she is doing a beauty course and they are trying to push her off of it. she is medicated and is fine, she also knows well in advanced when she will fit as she fells strange. we must also understand different types, not all epileptics have a full on fit where they collapse and shake, sum just do weird things such as brushing their hair with a sponge whilst staring into nothing, or just go into a daze. but most of this is controlled with medication.

Latest posts

Back