Clarifying shampoo?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esmith7713

Reaction score
looking for advice - my wife has her dyed red at a salon (she's natural brown, with a lot of grey) and is trying to go redder. the stylist recommended she use a clarifying shampoo a week prior to her next coloring and the stylist also said she'd up the developer to 20% from 10%. my understanding is the shampoo will remove old product but also some of the previous color to better prepare for the next coloring. then the 20% developer will allow her to lift the color more - ie make it redder. is all this correct? also - any recommendation on which shampoo to get to best prepare her hair to go redder? thanks!

When my own hair was far too dark due to a mistake at the salon ( not been back) my friend and client of whom is a hairdresser with 25 years of experience suggested I use vosene shampoo. It contains salicylic acid, so I washed my hair a few times before my next colour because I was having a lighter shade applied with 20 vol peroxide..... It worked well.
However looking at clarifying shampoos they contain citric acid as the active ingredient , I am sure this is effective as was my shampoo. is it possible for you to ask what the stylist recommends to use?
good luck

Rosie- thank you so much! that is the same procedure her stylist recommended. Use clarifying shampoo first then using 20 vol peroxide at the next coloring to make her hair redder. really appreciate the info!

My hair was horrendous, so had a bit of a cry and then did as my friend suggested! Hey presto I was pleased.

looking for advice - my wife has her dyed red at a salon (she's natural brown, with a lot of grey) and is trying to go redder. the stylist recommended she use a clarifying shampoo a week prior to her next coloring and the stylist also said she'd up the developer to 20% from 10%. my understanding is the shampoo will remove old product but also some of the previous color to better prepare for the next coloring. then the 20% developer will allow her to lift the color more - ie make it redder. is all this correct? also - any recommendation on which shampoo to get to best prepare her hair to go redder? thanks!

Usually, clients are advised to use a clarifying shampoo to remove product build up on the hair such as styling products, especially those containing silicones. If you regularly use a clarifying shampoo, you’ll actually cause damage to the delicate cuticle layer so it should only be used occasionally.

I assume the hairdresser is an experienced colourist otherwise, your wife risks leaving the salon with ‘hot roots’ whereby the root area is much lighter and brighter than the rest of the hair. It’s a common mistake that more junior stylists might make.

thanks - i assume the stylist is experienced! i'll have her ask her directly too - but my understanding is in order to lift the color more - make it redder - she recommended the clarifying shampoo prior to coloring and then she going to use 20% on the developer - and then it will make her hair redder - does that sound correct?

Latest posts

Back