Clean up airbrushing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grace

Reaction score
Hi there,
Does any one have any good tips for the clean up operation that one has to do after airbrushing someones nails.

I find it a real bind and so annoying that after you finish airbrushing the design that it is all around the fingers too. Normally I top coat the design and then wait a short while and ask the client to go to the sink and wash her hands. This is ok but my clients are always concerned they will damage there design and like to wait a while longer, I find it all very time consuming.

Is there any other way of removing the overspray, other than washing, or using a cue tip in non acetone?

Any advice or tips would be very appreciated
Grace x

I read in a book "Airbrushing for Nails " by Elizabeth Anthony
quote 'My hand encircles each finger as I spray it.
My hand catches the overspray as I work so it doesn't fall onto the nails of my client's hand.
I place my thumb on her finger just above the cuticle area.
Overspray lands on my thumb and not on her finger.
This reduces cleanup on your client.'

Maybe this might help reduce your time? ;)

It's a good book for airbrushing :idea:

You know the horseshoe shaped sculpting forms that are useless for actually sculpting??? Well if you put these around the nail 'backwards' with the two ends crossing over under the nail, there is no over spray at all -- you can cut them in half to make a better fit if necessary ... and follow Elizabeth Anthony's advice as well.

Elisabeth actually personally taught me to airbrush and she is without doubt one of the best if not the best in the business. Her designs are phenomenal and so detailed. She also taught Jacqui Jefford and Mandini and Diane Plummer to name but a few ... and look where they have ended up??? Some of the best in the industry. I asked her to come over from America and we were all in the same class!! A few years ago now. We were so fortunate to train with her.

Hello Grace,

All the above are great ways of reducing airbrush overspray but the best solution is to practice and practice until your paint goes exactly where you want it to go and your overspray is reduced to a minimum. When I first started airbrushing my overspray was all over the place but now, after a few years, I get very little on the skin so there is hardly anything to clean up afterwards.

The type of airbrush paint you are using can also help to reduce the clean up time. What make do you use? Your top coat drying fairly quickly (but not one of the real 'quick dry' ones as these will crinkle your work) is a big factor too.

In September I did airbrush demos at the Professional Beauty show in Dublin and there really was no time for the people to hang around for their 'clean up'. I use 'Too Much Fun' airbrush paints and clean up really is a breeze with them, on skin as well as inside the airbrush. And for the Top Coat I swear by Melle's A/B Top Coat - so much so that I dumped the top coat I was supposed to be using and phoned my boyfriend begging him to drop in a few of Melle's bottles of top coat that I had at home! The top coat tends to be touch dry after a few minutes and then I use a baby wipe to clean up the overspray - easy peasy!

If you're a Creative tech, I've also found a quick spray of 'Solar Speed Spray' over the top coat not only helps to dry it but wipes off the overspray really well.

Jackie

Hey thanks for the tips, all of which sound great.

I like the horse shoe form idea, sounds good, however I also like the idea of cleaning up with baby wipes, had not thought of this, far far better idea than struggling with a cue tip and acetone.

I use the Nail creations products, such as paints etc which so far have been ok, they are pretty good for removal, well when they have dried on the skin that is. The top coat I am not so over the moon with, I am very careful with my designs and always layer the paint slowly but on some still when I put the top coat on i get the crackle effect, which is soul destroying after taking so much care in designing a great nail effect :rolleyes:

I would be interested to find out more about the too much fun products and Melle's a/b top coat, where would one obtain these products from?

Thank you for the tips they are really appreciated.

Grace x

Well Melle is the girl to speak to, with regards to airbrushing and top coating and the like.............
Here nail art is fab and she is also a brill girl...A true Airbushing Nut...........
here is her link:
http://www.allthingsnails.co.uk/

Love Ruth xxxxxxx
P.S.Love ya Melle xx

When you get the crackle effect when using a top coat, it is not the fault of the top coat, it is because your paint is either too thick or not completely dry underneath the top coat.

As you get better with your technique, you will work thinner with your paint, and as jackie says, you wont need the forms or to do too much clean up as by then you will have more control.

Do you know that many salons in the States don't even do a clean up??? Too much risk of spoiling the design.
They send the client home and get her to wash off any paint an hour or so later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back