Cleaning Brushes after L & P???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natalie day

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on cleaning my brush after using L & P?
The other evening after finishing with my client I cleaned the brush in monomer (as I was told in my training) and thought it was nice and clean. When I got it out yesterday it had hardened and some of the bristles were stuck together! I left it standing in monomer for a few hours which softened it but now the bristles are a bit bent and it still doesnt seem clean after all that!

If anyone can tell me where I am going wrong it would be much appreciated as this is starting to get expensive!

Thanks.

natalie day said:
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on cleaning my brush after using L & P?
The other evening after finishing with my client I cleaned the brush in monomer (as I was told in my training) and thought it was nice and clean. When I got it out yesterday it had hardened and some of the bristles were stuck together! I left it standing in monomer for a few hours which softened it but now the bristles are a bit bent and it still doesnt seem clean after all that!

If anyone can tell me where I am going wrong it would be much appreciated as this is starting to get expensive!

Thanks.

Usually a 'gooey' brush is a signal that you are working too wet with your product. If you are cleaning your brush in the monomer you have been using, then it wll also be full of powder and not clean the brush effectively either.
Brushes should be cleaned in 'clean' monomer. If you still suspect the bristles are a bit gooey, then you can once in a while take a quick dip in ScrubFresh or similar but not to do it too often. Rememer brshes are hair like your own hair. Dipping in acetone or cleansers is a last resort not for ever day.

natalie day said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks.
Always make sure you use fresh clean monomer to clean your brush.
Then place the brush between a piece of lint free pad and gently press,and pull ( dont yank it) if you can understand that, keeping the brush hairs in one direction............then store it flat in clean box......As for the banana brush ....... try this.........clean it again in some monomer making sure it is completly product free. Then wriggle the brush around in very hot water, not boiling, but very hot from the kettle, flatten the brush to the shape you like , make sure all hairs are following the same line, like little soldiers in a row, leave it to dry over night, lay it flat dont keep it upright.............. This should retrain the brush...........
HTH

Thanks to you both for your replies!
I will go and see if I can rescue my brush!
Thanks again!

i was told at college to clean it in acetone free nail varnish remover ?i havent had any probs yet

whatabeauty said:
i was told at college to clean it in acetone free nail varnish remover ?i havent had any probs yet
I dont know what will happen to it in the long run by cleaning in n/a remover but surely there is a risk of contamination if there's some left in the brush? I was taught to always clean it in monomer.

:eek: wotabeauty wouldn't recommend non acetone polish remover at all for this purpose I'm sorry to tell you...use only clean monomer to clean your brush, it's the only way to keep it safe and sound lol hope this helps :)

It's wise to remember that chemicaly speaking it is impossible to SEE the problems you may be creating by contaminating your brush and consequently your monomer with NA Remover.

Best to always use -clean monomer liquid to rinse and clean your brush.

The reason Creative users can 'rescue' a brush with Scrub Fresh is that it is part of the system and therefore will not cause contamination BUT this is an emergency rescue remedy and not for everyday for the reason that eventually it would damage the brush if done too often.

I wouldn't use anything other than Monomer to clean my brush. Anything else will definately contaminate your brush. you could then find that your nails start to go cloudy looking or even a yellow colour, so not a good idea.

I was taught in school to use O.P.I.'s brush cleaner. It works WONDERS and won't cause any harmful cross-contamination.

Latest posts

Back