Cleaning gel brush

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucybluebell

Reaction score
Hi, I have done a search but I could only find answers about acrylic brushes.. What do you use to clean your gel brush?

To clean my gel brush, I spray some sanister onto a nail pad and wipe by pressing the bristles between the pad folded in half iykwim, then wipe again on a fresh nail pad.

This has been my routine since training, and I am still using my original brush some 8 years later.

Thanks for that. Our tutor said to use nail polish remover, would that be ok to use instead sometimes do you think?xx

Thanks for that. Our tutor said to use nail polish remover, would that be ok to use instead sometimes do you think?xx

Not sure about remover but I was taught to use the wipe you use for removing the tacky / dispersion layer.

But dont ask me about acrylic, I can solidify them while im using them! Went through 3 in 3 weeks. :-( would love to pick up acrylics again but fed up of wrecking brushes!

A nail pad with a dab of non-acetone polish remover should be fine, or even a dry wipe on a lint free nail pad.

If your gel brush is synthetic, acetone will kill it. Stick with using alcohol after each use.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

If your gel brush is synthetic, acetone will kill it. Stick with using alcohol after each use.

This is the best advice - most gel brushes are indeed a synethic (plastic) bristle and will easily be damaged by strong solvents (acetone, ketone etc)

If you need to remove the remaining gel the an alcohol based solvent is best

Even better is to simply wipe out any excess gel and leave a small amount of gel still in the bristles. This will actually keep it supple and stop it from drying out.
(IF you do this, you MUST ensure you keep it in a light protected place or it will set rock hard)

Great advice thanks! I always keep it in my trolley so it's always in the dark ;)

i always wipe it in an ipa soaked pad. never thought of nail polish remover, i'm assuming any residue of that could interfere with your gel. maybe not enough left on to be a problem though.

I use NSI Balance so I clean my brush with cleanse after i've finished. :)

Latest posts

Back