Cleaning implements?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mally101

Reaction score
I’m trying to work as efficient as possible, but I think I might be wasting time in some areas. I was taught in school to always clean and disinfect implements right after use. The problem is, I’m starting to get busy in the salon and it takes me so much time to clean my tools after each client and disinfection takes another 20 minutes!! Can you guys explain your day to day routine when to comes to cleaning implements.

Hi, I have 3 of every tool there is so it's all about rotation of your tools.
It takes seconds to thoroughly clean off the debris from your tools , then let the barbicide do the rest. So that when you are done with the next client your first tools are ready to be used safely disinfected.
Disposable files are useful or the metal files with disposable strips on them (cuccio do them ) That's one less to do.
Good luck

Thanks RosieR but in Canada barbicide for Nail implements is a no no! Like I said before it takes a whopping 20mins to get everything disinfected lol. Thanks for your advice though

I also have several and rotate them as my clients are back to back all day.

Well you don’t use all the tools simultaneously, so can you put each thing into disinfection as you finish with it rather than at the end of each service. As long as it’s not in the same place (eg one tool in 5 mins then add next tool resets the disinfection time).

I know you can’t use barbicide but when I’m doing nails when I finish with each thing eg cuticle pusher I use a disposable mini alcohol wipe to clean the dirt off it then put it straight into disinfection pot. I then continue with the nails. Client is usually in awe they see things actually cleaned and often is waiting for something to dry or cure in lamp/is washing their hands depending on the service so no time is wasted. With the files I spray them immediately after finishing and leave on fresh couch roll.

It might sound like fuss but once you’ve got into the flow of it you will have everything available for the next service by the time you need it without even having multiple tools.

Eg cuticle pusher and any scissors clippers at start of service, files and brushes during and tidy up file at the end. You would have had way over the 20mins since you used the pusher etc by the end of the service. By the time the next client needs filing the files would also be ready to be used.

The only thing that should really be a problem is short services like a file and paint in which case a set on standby would be useful.

Hope this helps!

Thank you all! House of beauty I will definitely utilize some of your tips! :)

When we talk about cleaning, we need to know 2 definitions to be on the same page.

1. Sanitation
2. Disinfection

When we scrub and wash our implements with soap, we are sanitizing. Sanitize means to REMOVE germs, not kill. When we put our implements inside the barbicide to disinfect, we are KILLING almost all germs.

Sanitizing makes the implements safe to use. Disinfecting the implements is really just icing on the cake when it comes cleanliness.

So even though state boards requires disinfection, youll be ok if you don't, as long as you sanitize.

And for those who are curious as to how soap works on germs? Soap makes the bodies of the germs slippery, which makes it easier to wash off. So you eliminate the need to kill germs.

Last edited:
When we talk about cleaning, we need to know 2 definitions to be on the same page.

1. Sanitation
2. Disinfection

When we scrub and wash our implements with soap, we are sanitizing. Sanitize means to REMOVE germs, not kill. When we put our implements inside the barbicide to disinfect, we are KILLING almost all germs.

Sanitizing makes the implements safe to use. Disinfecting the implements is really just icing on the cake when it comes cleanliness.

So even though state boards requires disinfection, youll be ok if you don't, as long as you sanitize.

And for those who are curious as to how soap works on germs? Soap makes the body of the germs slippery, which makes it easier to wash off. So you eliminate the need to kill germs.
Thanks love

I use the tools in rotation thing but recently started buying Navy tools that are titanium coated and have their own, very fast, sanitise/disinfect system and products.

I don't know if they ship to Canada but if they do then you'll find them very helpful.

Latest posts

Back