Cleaning tint brushes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinDoll

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanting opinions and if anyone's had any past experience on this!

We've been having a few cleaning issues with the assistants in the salon where I'm self-employed, nothing major but just little things. The main one is tint brushes! We've had three separate incidents this week with brushes with red/purple tint lingering between bristles, not that you can see by glancing at them, but then when using them for highlights of a blonde retouch they show up IMMEDIATELY [emoji85][emoji85]

I've been considering getting the apprentices to bleach them once a week with household stuff, but the smell and potential irritation have totally been putting me off. Does anyone have any bright ideas that I'm missing? Xx

Hey everyone, just wanting opinions and if anyone's had any past experience on this!

We've been having a few cleaning issues with the assistants in the salon where I'm self-employed, nothing major but just little things. The main one is tint brushes! We've had three separate incidents this week with brushes with red/purple tint lingering between bristles, not that you can see by glancing at them, but then when using them for highlights of a blonde retouch they show up IMMEDIATELY [emoji85][emoji85]

I've been considering getting the apprentices to bleach them once a week with household stuff, but the smell and potential irritation have totally been putting me off. Does anyone have any bright ideas that I'm missing? Xx

I just use the bristles from another tint brushes, to get the colour out from in between the other. Sounds like lazy assistants to me

Luckily, it's just me on my own but I use particular coloured tint brushes for my brighter colours so I only use the black tint brushes for bleaching or blondes.

I clean all bowls and brushes as soon as I'm home but I imagine that soaking briefly in a household bleach solution would be fine as long as you rinsed them thoroughly afterwards.

Definitely sounds like lazy buggers! Show them how to clean the tint brushes and make sure they know why you're showing them.

@Starboltz @cams97 - In most cases I would totally agree with you! Though I'll give them an exception at the moment because we haven't got hot water in the kitchen at the moment (I hate boilers!). Think I'm going to take them through it properly and explain, cheers cams. I find it tough not to come across as patronising to the older one because she's been working there a year longer than me, but there's always more to learn right?

@AcidPerm - Brilliant idea! Will definitely try and persuade my bosses round to investing in a few new sets/colours. And I'll get the assistants to try the bleach too, thank you! Xx

@Starboltz @cams97 - In most cases I would totally agree with you! Though I'll give them an exception at the moment because we haven't got hot water in the kitchen at the moment (I hate boilers!). Think I'm going to take them through it properly and explain, cheers cams. I find it tough not to come across as patronising to the older one because she's been working there a year longer than me, but there's always more to learn right?

@AcidPerm - Brilliant idea! Will definitely try and persuade my bosses round to investing in a few new sets/colours. And I'll get the assistants to try the bleach too, thank you! Xx

I'm not going to lie, the first 2 weeks of work I was lazy as an assistant. I just rinsed the colour off the tint brushes and wiped them with a towel.
I'd tell them straight, without being rude if possible, and just say we all make mistakes but please can you make sure they are.cleaned properly

WASH BRUSHES IN WARM SOAPY WATER.........
It is not rocket science.:p

Last edited:
So what if shes older... Learn how to wash a bloody brush! Sorry but I'm if she's been there for a year and doesn't know how to clean a brush its clear she needs teaching.
Good luck with them[emoji23] x

Why don't they wash them in the hair washing basin? Cold water is hideous trying to get stuff out of brushes! Just tell the juniors that there has been an incident of red/purple going on a blonde and you will not put up with it in future, end of :)

why is this even a thread? Are these.assistants 'okay'?

Sounds like just lazy assistants to be honest haha, wash with hot water or in our salon we have brushes with white bristles, tell them straight

@kahuna hair @dollface @cams
Cheers for the replies, I agree [emoji6] Ah well, tricky finding a balance sometimes between trying to teach and not be over-step boundaries with me being separate and all. Went through everything hygiene-wise (barbicide, tint brushes, oiling, etc etc) today with the youngest one and got good feedback, so going to try with the older one next week!

@redstar Please read rest of thread as well as the heading [emoji106]

@Starboltz Why is it a thread? Because we all sometimes get fed up with little things at work and need other people's opinions. At least it's a little different than the usual 'moan someone's undercharging me/what do I do with this colour' usual posts! Cheers for the snippiness, preferred your more positive first bunch of replies, as criticism for the sake of it puts newbies off posting [emoji74]

Cheers for the replies, I agree [emoji6] Ah well, tricky finding a balance sometimes between trying to teach and not be over-step boundaries with me being separate and all. Went through everything hygiene-wise (barbicide, tint brushes, oiling, etc etc) today with the youngest one and got good feedback, so going to try with the older one next week!

@Starboltz Why is it a thread? Because we all sometimes get fed up with little things at work and need other people's opinions. At least it's a little different than the usual 'moan someone's undercharging me/what do I do with this colour' usual posts! Cheers for the snippiness, preferred your more positive first bunch of replies, as criticism for the sake of it puts newbies off posting [emoji74]

Glad you got on well! Sometimes its hard for them to accept they're actually doing something wrong too, they won't admit to it.

Nothing worse than dirty brushes!! (Apart from tint being left on your clients scalp after their shampoo)
The frustration when you pick up your tint brush to start your first highlight and there it is.....That purple splodge that's now left a mark in your nice white bleach mixture! Argh!!

You have to be tough on lazy assistants, there was a saying where I trained that you could tell what kind of hairdresser a trainee would be by the way they cleaned the mirror, it was generally true, the trainees who quickly brushed over the mirror with a squirt of cleaner and then went straight onto the next one, compared to the one who stood back and took a look from the chair point of view and scratched off every splodge of hairspray they could find, would show you who had the natural attention to detail and who had to be taught how to be attentive.

When I first started my apprenticeship my boss got good old dolly out and showed me what would happen if the brushes wernt cleaned properly and what would happened to a blonde maybe do that with new starters

Yeah but if they've been assistants for a while, they should at least know how to cleAn a tint brush

What do you mean with you being separate?

@Lauren121 @Suzanne-hair1 They're both really inventive ideas guys thanks! It's so true, attention to detail in other cleaning jobs says a lot about them as an assistant overall & the hairdresser they'll become right?

@kahuna hair Self-employed, so technically separate haha. Though the girls who run the business are very inclusive [emoji106]

Latest posts

Back