clear polish probs :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesbica

Reaction score
i am getting really frustrated geeklings.... when ever i apply clear nail polish over HIGHLY buffed and shiny nails when it dries it loses its shine and as like how do i explain it.... like a rough look.... little bumps everywhere... i have tried different types and the lastest was wet glaze by Xtreme nail.....

often when i do my own and apply clear i will usually wait for it to dry and then buff again but this is something i cant do on a client.....

what am i doing wrong and does n e one else have the same prob???

thanks geeklings :o)

Hi Jesbica,
I had a similar problem with normal clear polish, it used to go yellow on the acrylic as well after 2 days, looked like I had a 40 a day cigarette habit. Not a good look for a Nail Tech! lol
I went to see my friend who used to be my Nail Tech and got me into this and she told me not to use a clear polish but to use a Sealer instead.
I use a Sealer with UV block from Star Nails and it dries real shiny in one coat and very fast, much faster than clear polish. It's been a revelation and stops the yellowing problem too.
I'm sure there are other products out there that other Tech's know about, I get my Sealer from my local Sally's it's about £2.50 I think. Hope this helps.

Good Luck
Kate XX

Woops, lol, Just realised you are in Oz!!
I'm off on holiday for a week but back on 16th oct so if you can't get any Sealer and want some PM me as I have a spare bottle you can have to see if it's what you want and i'll post it out to you.

Best Wishes
Kate XX

I always use Stickey base coat before applying any polish, clear or colour.

Stickey base coat provides the perfect surface and anchors the polish to the nail.

I follow with Super Shiney Top coat wich is super shiney and non yellowing and non chipping.
Both are Creative Nail Design treatments.

2moons,... that i so lovely of you!!! you guys are so great here... i havent been part of a forum before by you are all so nice!!!! always so willing to help everyone

*group hugs* i love you guys!!!!!
mwah!

Are you ensuring that you have degreased the nails between buffing and applying the clear varnish?

The only time I have found varnish dulling (but not pitting) is if I apply my quick dry spray too soon and not after waiting the full one minute.

how do you mean degreased?? after finished the acylic i files, block buff to get all my scratches out the buff to a high shine with a 2 way buffer, then apply 1 coat of clear plish but always dries looking like i never even buffed the nails... i just cant work out why...

You may find that there is some oil on the nails either from your fingers or even the buffers - I always wipe with my Nail Prep (Scrubfresh) prior to any varnishing.

Hi ya,

With regards to the tiny bumps in the polish do you shake it before you apply it, it could be that your getting tiny air bubbles in there, i some times get that effect to when the polish is running low.( for some reason )

xgalaxyx :confused:

they are definatly not air bubble... it is just a reall rough look...

i allways use base coat then a top coat or 2 coats e.g uvtop coat.
i think bare finished enhancements absorb the first coat a bit like a plastered wall you have to prime it before you paint it or the paint will just sink in (god you can tell i still have the builders in even started to talk like them....love) :wink2:

I always use creative's stickey base coat then super shiney or NSI's airsheild both leave a lovely glossy finish.

wait, I was taught not to use base coat on acrylic nails...is this true?

hmmm sooooo... i have never used a base coat with clear nail polish... i might ttry this... do you think this is the prob....

Callie said:
wait, I was taught not to use base coat on acrylic nails...is this true?
NO!

Latest posts

Back