Client ‘toned’ hair extensions - help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pricey212

Reaction score
Hi,
My client asked to tone her shade 60 I tip extensions before her fitting appointment... a couple of days later she messaged me to say the hair was ruined and it was all snapped which means she can’t have just toned the hair, she must have definitely used bleach - pictures attached.
The hair is like chewing gum and is just snapping.
I paid £220 for the hair - she’s paid £150 deposit...
Any idea how to deal with the situation would be appreciated.
Thanks x

Why did she want to tone them herself? I think I would of wanted full price of hair upfront before handing any of it over , you need to have a chat with her about the outstanding costs and that the extensions won’t be covered as ‘some form’ of colouring process has been put into them, assuming a fitting cost was being added to the 220 aswell explain the price of the hair at least needs to be covered as you are losing appointment time for fitting also and may not be able to fill this time

Are you saying that you gave her the hair so that she could colour it herself and you only charged her a deposit?

I think you’ll need to accept responsibility for this error of judgement and chalk it up to inexperience.

Extension hair shouldn’t be coloured or toned using oxidative dyes as it’s already been through several chemical processes and it’s nothing like virgin human hair so you can’t predict how it will react. The batch of hair you purchase will have come from several different scalps so even if you strand test some of it, you can’t assume that the results you achieve will be replicated throughout the entire batch.

You also can’t accuse her of using bleach because it’s perfectly possible that the hair disintegrated simply using an oxidative tint. :(

I’ve toned hair many times with then toner she apparently used and it’s never turned out like what the hair is. The toner has no ammonia etc in it... It’s looks like she’s bleached it 100%. It’s so stringy and just all snapped off. Should I take the full hit and refund her the deposit? I don’t think I should as she’s responsible as she asked to tone it herself rather than me. She’s asking for new hair but I’m not paying anymore money out as I’m already at a loss :(

The toner has no ammonia or peroxide... it’s only a semi no permanent

I can’t upload the pics unfortunately as its saying they’re too large. But the hair just looks like it’s been in bleach for ages :(

Are you a qualified hairdresser insured to provide colour services?

If so, I can’t understand why you gave the hair to a client to colour and why you handed it over before she’d paid for it, in full.
What toner do you normally use?

If I understand your post correctly, the client now wants you to refund her deposit and supply new hair?

As the professional, you cannot advise a client how to use hair colouring products without accepting some degree of legal liability. You’ve got yourself into a right pickle now because you’ve blurred the boundary between professional hairdresser and doing a mate a favour. How will you defend your position if the client tries to sue you?

In future, it’s best to keep all arrangements strictly professional and only hand over the goods after receiving payment in full, not just a deposit. Most hairdressers refuse to colour or tone extensions because they know they can’t guarantee the results and if you choose to do it yourself, you accept liability if it goes wrong.

No I am not a hairdresser, I’m qualified in extensions hence why I didn’t do the colour myself on the client.
My client wanted to tone the hair before I did the fitting so I said I wasn’t liable once she’s coloured / toned the hair which she was happy with. No the hairs ruined and she’s saying she’s only used a toner when she can’t have.

You may not be a qualified hairdresser but you are still the professional in this situation.
You mustn’t perform or offer advice on colouring/toning and you can’t legally absolve yourself of liability just because you said so and the client agreed, even if she signed a contract. The law doesn’t work like that and that’s why waiver forms are useless in most of Europe. The law will always favour the plaintiff/client in this type of situation.

My advice now is to accept the loss and draw a line through it and think of this as a learning opportunity.

Putting aside the mistakes already made by handing over the hair without full payment, personally I'd take the hit on the "balance" payment due, but wouldn't refund the deposit if it was discussed that the client tones the hair at her own risk. You could try to recover the full balance of the hair from her, but i'd imagine she'll be reluctant to pay. I definitely wouldn't be supplying new hair. Personally I'd explain that, as the client has coloured the hair herself, you cannot accept responsibility for the outcome of doing this, therefore you're unable to replace the hair. I'd mention that the outstanding balance of the hair stands at £xx, and ask her to make payment. If she refuses I'd just put it down to a learning experience. I hope you manage to sort it hun x

Latest posts

Back