Client advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anniehair22

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

*this is long and I'm so sorry but I would love any advice anyone has!

I just wanted to see if anyone could offer me some advice. I had a new client book with me a couple weeks ago for a full highlight. She changed her mind when she got there and wanted to go two different shades of brown with some highlights. I scrambled to make it work in the time I had and it came out gorgeous.

She texted me a couple days later asking for I tip extensions and clip in extensions for an event she had coming up next weekend. She wanted the i tips for fullness in front and clip ins through out that rest of her hair. She wanted this extremely thick set of clip ins I keep at my salon. They were a level 8 but with the different shades and highlights I figured I could customize the color to her hair pretty easily. I do this all the time and have never had a problem. I did inform her that they may not be 100% perfect color but they will blend and look great.

She came in for a consult for the extensions. We picked out colors and I took a hair deposit for the I tip hair. I book her out for the full day. A couple days prior to her appointment she says she needs to cancel the I tip application portion of her appointment due to finances but wants to keep the clip in color/blending appointment. I tell her no problem and although I can't give her a refund because I already purchased the hair I give her the hair I purchased. She seems fine with this.

I filled the extensions with gold prior to her appointment and once she arrives we go over the colors again. I show her swatches we pick the colors and start the 6 1/2 hour process of picking which extensions should be colored what, coloring the extensions two different colors, foiling out strands with barrier cream for "highlights", toning the "highlights to a warmer color" drying the extensions, cutting/layering/blending the extensions and styling them.

I even added a couple extra complimentary highlights to her hair because she wanted more lightness by her face and I want all my clients to be happy.

I took pictures, the extensions were a little darker than her hair but seriously matched so well you could barely tell.
She wanted them to fade a little so I told her to wash them extension by extension carefully and separately. And they"ll fade with washes. This was a week ago.

She texts me today telling me she washed them once a now they are extremely ashy and don't match. :eek:

She wants to either add highlights to extensions or add lowlights to her hair this Saturday or next week before her event.

I have seriously no time to do this. I am booked for 12 hour days almost every day till halloween. Not to mention I never recommend lightening extensions. I asked her how she washed and what she washed with and told her that I did not have time for another appointment in the next couple weeks but have space after halloween and we gave her appointment times.

I told her I could get her a warmth shampoo and hopefully this would get rid of the ash she sees but I'm at a loss as to what else to do. She hasn't texted me back and I'm dreading that text tomorrow.

She isn't being rude about anything but has been a little difficult since day one and I don't want any bad reviews floating around.

I also feel like I've done a lot for her though and definitely undercharged but I was so happy with the outcome and having a great addition to my portfolio I didn't care until now.

Any advice on how to handle this?
Did I do okay?
Should I do/say something else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple - You need to charge the going rate for the time you spend with a client!

She can change her mind as often as she likes providing she pays you for all the time you spend on her hair.

It sounds like you have done an awful lot and not charged her properly so she now expects you to drop everything and pander to her every whim for virtually nothing!

If she was paying for your time, she would be more considerate about getting good value for money and not chopping and changing as that would impact too much on her purse.

Seriously, if you do a good job and charge properly, most clients will respect this. Those that don't can find another mug. :irked:

Latest posts

Back