Client allergic to water?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
My friend wants me to do her nails she has mentioned that she is allergic to water and has a rash. The doctor can't find what is wrong with her he thought it was shingles at first but also mention pit-or-ri-isis. I don't know how to spell it. Any way she says she is constantly itching and it's driving her mad. She is also allergic to water and the itching is worse when she has had a shower or a bath or even runs her water on her hands. I advised her to find out what it is and have it treated before having extensions. Has anybody heard of anything like this? Can I treat her? :|

It's highly unlikely that she's allergic to water.
Especially since a large percent of the body is made up of water.
AND pretty much everything that is consumed (beverage or other) contains water.

What is more likely is that she is allergic to chlorine (a client/friend has this problem, and had to change her pool filtration system due to severe itching and rash caused by the allergy) and/or sulfur (often found in water as well) or some other similar ingredient used at water infiltration plants (or whatever the heck they are called, where they clean the water that is piped to homes for consumption).

I would suggest she get an actual allergy test, and put off the treatment until then.

I wont lie, the idea of someone saying they're allergic to water is so absurd, it made me laugh so loudly my family asked what was wrong!

I completely agree with Victoria, in that she's probably sensitive to something in the water. Time to fix her filtration system and go for allergy testing.

sorry but this made me giggle. she needs water to live!

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

Agreed chalky water could be the problem to where I live chalky water is bad when the water is chalky I itch like mad when it's clear I'm fine sometimes u can't necessarily see the chalk defo chlorine is I think maybe the problem :)

I also just thought that say it turned out she is allergic to the water maybe try sterile water like they do in hospitals I had to use it on my prem daughter in hospital when she was born she was only half a pound and normal water would have irritated her skin and sterile worked fantastic x

I also just thought that say it turned out she is allergic to the water maybe try sterile water like they do in hospitals I had to use it on my prem daughter in hospital when she was born she was only half a pound and normal water would have irritated her skin and sterile worked fantastic x

she can't be allergic to the WATER. that's categorically impossible.

she might be sensitive to something in it. or she might just have some sort of skin condition that has NOTHING to do with water at all. which I bet is the case.

I Agree but if she is allergic to some in the water sterile water is a good one coz it has no chemicals in it and is completely sterile :)

The water allergy is called aquagenous urticaria lol but there is only 30 patients in the world with such allergy lol so doubt very much it is that lol very rare lol

I did have to google as it seemed a bit mad but people can be allergic to water. MAD! It's called aquagenic urticaria.

By the way I'm not saying the OPs friend has or hasn't got this allergy, I'm just saying the internet says it exists!

Sorry OP it just seemed too weird not to google xxxx

That's wot I did googled it it made me think I wonder if u can actualy be allergic to water lol

......it is very very rare but some people can have a water allergy. However, as has already been said, it is generally due to tap water, i.e. showering, bathing washing hands, due to the minerals, ions, chemicals etc. that are found in the majority of water supplies. The majority of people with this (not the rare form) find that the rash subsides within a few hours of showering etc. So unless she is one of the 30 or so People in the world that has a real allergy to water, it is more likely that she has developed an allergic reaction to something that is commonly found in tap water.

I did have to google as it seemed a bit mad but people can be allergic to water. MAD! It's called aquagenic urticaria.

By the way I'm not saying the OPs friend has or hasn't got this allergy, I'm just saying the internet says it exists!

Sorry OP it just seemed too weird not to google xxxx

Water, in itself, is hydrogen and oxygen. It is IMPOSSIBLE. IMPOSSIBLE. IMPOSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to be allergic to water. If she was, she would be dead. You can't survive without ingesting water, and water exists in all drinks and food.

It's something IN the water. Let's be REALLY clear on that.

Hives - Water Urticaria

which reads:
Water Urticaria

From Heather Brannon, MD, former About.com Guide
Updated March 24, 2007
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by the Medical Review Board

Water urticaria, or aquagenic urticaria, is a rare condition in which hives develop within 1 to 15 minutes after contact with water. The hives last for 10 to 120 minutes and do not seem to be caused by histamine release like the other physical hives. Most investigators believe that this condition is actually exquisite skin sensitivity to additives in the water such as chlorine. Diagnosis
Water urticaria is diagnosed by applying tap water and distilled water to the skin and observing the reaction.

Note the selection I've highlighted in blue.

hth's

Water, in itself, is hydrogen and oxygen. It is IMPOSSIBLE. IMPOSSIBLE. IMPOSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to be allergic to water. If she was, she would be dead. You can't survive without ingesting water, and water exists in all drinks and food.

It's something IN the water. Let's be REALLY clear on that.

Oh I know chick xxx I was just surprised it had a name and it caused me to do some extra research.

The thread content just aroused a curiosity, that's all. I posted in between searching both times. Sorry.

I like research and learning hence the google instead of an ' ooooh really' initial answer.

Not all allergies lead to death! I'm allergic to loads of things, some which can't be avoided, and I am alive and well! Some allergies simply manifest as a skin allergy, rather than death! She could be reacting more to products she is putting on her skin under water ie soap, cleansers, etc. She may just be one of those highly sensitive people.

If I were you, if she really wants enhancements, do a single overlay on a nail and see if the skin around the nail plate reacts. One of my ladies has l&p, but gets an allergy on her 2 ring fingers, so I gel those two nails with no problems.

Hives - Water Urticaria

which reads:

Note the selection I've highlighted in blue.

hth's

That's exactly what happened to her, she was in the doctors and said to him look what happens. Ran her hands under water and within mins came up in a rash the doctor was just as baffled lol.:eek:

Oooh i like allergies - fascinates me and my friend in our street is a qualified alergy therapist and has done it for 20 years :D i shall have to pick her brains over this tomorrow :D

Another suggestion for your friend is to go to a local fish shop ( don't laugh ) and ask them for a litre of RO water ( reverse osmosis ) This takes the water through a process that removes trace elements for marine fish keepers such as myself. Lots of water, bottled, mineral etc contains trace elements such as calcium, iron, sulphur to name a few. RO water removes 99.9% of them i beleive which is why it then becomes safe for marine fish and may help her with her allergy. If she seems okay with it, you can buy a RO kit for about £60 and run it off your tap at home and create your own RO water :hug: xx

Has your friend had this problem long term or is it recent? A colleague of mine had a similar problem when she was pregnant. It's an accepted phenomenon called, "The mask of pregancy". You can't stand water touching the skin, have bad reactions to it and have dark marks appear on your skin.

Latest posts

Back