Client bought "CND Shellac" from Groupon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlawlessBeauty

Reaction score
As the title says really, my client told me today that she has bought a CND shellac kit from Groupon for about £98. It included the lamp, top, base, 2 colours and i'm not sure if anything else.

I quizzed her a little bit about the lamp and she said it looks just like mine and even has the same CND embossed logo and that she wouldn't want to mess around with fake or poor quality products.

She bought it to top up her nails in case she loses one or basically to infill them to last a little longer, but doesn't want to actually do them herself or for anyone else. She's a very genuine client and i don't question her motives at all.

The hot chillis colour matched and it removed just like i would remove normally, so it sounds like the real deal.

Has anyone else heard of this?

I don't believe that no way would Cnd put anything on groupon they would never need to! It will be a cheap lamp and colours I would think!

Millennium nails had a groupon offer recently. They were selling the lamp and Various bits to get started. I have groupon emails every day with all offers for my region and general UK. Ive never seen a CND offer. HTH? Xx

I agree with shortshadylady I get the emails everyday and I get at least one email a week with gel kit with lamp etc I am subscribed to wowcher , groupon & KGB deals and they all offer these kits. I've never seen CND and I never expect to xx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1347052786.834417.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1347052786.834417.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 595
I wouldn't be surprised if it was that one Princess.

I thought there was no way that CND would be putting it on a groupon offer, but i wondered if someone had brought out something with a similar logo, trying to tempt and confuse people. That packaging looks quite similar.

She said she bought hot chili's and hollywood, but maybe she got those off of eBay and didn't mention it xx

You need to warn her asap about using shellac with generic lamps and complications of undercuring asap. For her own safety and also if she develops an allergy you will lose a client. If you are right she is using a gel polish kit lamp with shellac and you need to educate her why this is a big no no!

Are sweet squared/cnd aware of that... One of the most blatant examples of "passing off" I have seen.... and probably design and copyright infringement too. They need to get their IP people to write to groupon and make sure they don't run that offer again and I would even.be so bold as to say they could build a good case to sue them for an account of profits too.

This happens a lot with products that are made abroad. Look at Ugg & Louis Vuitton! The manufacturers produce a product then change the labelling or in designer products, the same materials are used & sold on the ever increasing replica market. If you look at your local supermarket, you will see a product such as washing powder, but next to it in exactly the same box/bottle will be an 'own' brand, just different label.

CND will have to re-look at their manufacturers, as this is blatant copyright infringement.

You need to warn her asap about using shellac with generic lamps and complications of undercuring asap. For her own safety and also if she develops an allergy you will lose a client. If you are right she is using a gel polish kit lamp with shellac and you need to educate her why this is a big no no!

Yes, we were discussing it and she was so adamant that it was CND that i started to doubt myself. I showed her my lamp and the logo on it and asked if it had that on it and she assured me it did, so i was quite confused.

I spoke to her about the problems you can have with different lamps and such and mentioned how important it was to have the correct equipment. I hope that it planted a seed of doubt in her mind and that she will go back and have another look at her kit, now she has seen mine again and then see if it really looks just like mine or if she just thought it did.

She's in again in 2 weeks so i'll see what she says. It did take longer to remove as she had put the colour and top over what i had already done to fill in the growth and when i mentioned it, she said it was very fiddly and she wouldn't be doing it again. We'll see xx

I think its terrible how companies are bringing out CND Shellac look-a-likes and all this fake shellac is getting way out of hand, something really needs to be done about it.

One of my clients rung me up and told me that she would like to cancel her CND Shellac manicure that she had evey two weeks with me because her daughter who is a hairdresser ordered a u.v lamp and shellac off ebay and now will be doing them for her and she will be starting to do her hairdressing clients nails WITH NO TRAINING AND FAKE SHELLAC! I tried to explain how dangerous it can be but she really wasn't intrested and said that she would ring if she needed anything doing in the future!

Yes one of my clients commented on this too. She was nearly 100% sure it was CND Shellac. I told her it might have been the copy 'bluesky' shellac which is nothing like the CND brand. I also said CND would never allow their products to be bought like this as us professionals have I show proof of qualifications before we even get to purchase from them!
It actually got me quite worried that this sort of thing is available on groupon. I wonder if Sweet Squared are aware of it?

I saw something similar on KGB deals and reported it to S2. I've got a bee in my bonnet over this, I started a thread yesterday as I saw an Irish distributor selling CND Shellac said its was £100% genuine for £13.90 a bottle with free postage. Really think its time this sort of thing was monitored. Eve Taylor have a group of people making sure that any product found being sold on eBay or anywhere other than salons or themselves is removed. Not much you can do about the knock offs though I suppose.

She's in again in 2 weeks so i'll see what she says. It did take longer to remove as she had put the colour and top over what i had already done to fill in the growth and when i mentioned it, she said it was very fiddly and she wouldn't be doing it again. We'll see xx

This is very dangerous, as I bet she doesn't have anything like scrub fresh and by putting her so called shellac over your application she is at high risk of trapping pathogens, ie bacteria etc... I would seriously warn her against this, I had a client who came to me for the first time with acrylics, she wanted to change to shellac, on removing her acrylics one of her nails was half black and green, ( I will try and attach pic), I was horrified. I said to her was she or her previous technician aware of this, she said her technician said it was trapped water and it's very common! Yeah right! Anyway, she is now one of my regulars, she has shellac every 2 weeks and we have grown half of the poor nails out! However your client could seriously go down this route, that is one of the reasons we scrub fresh the nail plate before applying shellac! To remove all pathogens.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1347174412.729346.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1347174412.729346.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,603
Oh Jo, that is horrible!

During her next appointment she told me how she had seen that it wasn't worth it, applying her own product and that she would stick with mine. Obviously, i was very pleased that she had seen sense.

I saw her a few more times and after one appointment, she realised she had left her purse at work...therefore she said she would bring the money in the next day. I've not seen her since. She didn't show up for her next appointment and has dodged all my calls. I only have her mobile number and she had recently moved and didn't remember her exact new address and number. Silly me, lesson learned...at least it only cost me £22...it could've been worse and i won't make that mistake again xx

NO WAY its CND Shellac, not at that price, we pay wholesale and it costs us way more than that, has to be dodgy, hope electrics are safe

That £90 doesn't even cover the cost of the polishes there (if it were CND)so does that mean they are throwing the lamp in for free ?
Well, you get what you pay for

Latest posts

Back