Client claims permed hair now straight

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coops

Reaction score
Hi geeks! I permed a clients (past shoulder length) hair 2 1/2 weeks ago which came out lovely and she was happy with it. I had an answer phone message last night from her partner saying it had gone straight. I haven't seen her hair yet, hoping to do so this evening. I gave her all the correct aftercare etc. I'm a bit worried about confrontation though. I will refund if the fault lies with me but surely she would have noticed a problem within a few days if I had done something wrong? Is 2 1/2 weeks an acceptable time? I've never been in a situation like this before so I suppose I'm looking for advice in how to deal with it? Please?

I'm not a hair geek but I would see her, wash her hair & see how the curls are when wet

Hi, well after 2 1/2 weeks it should still have curl as it is permanent. You'll have to see it after its washed as this is the only real test. when I used to have my hair permed many moons ago it would often be flat in the morning and I had to wash it every day to keep it curly, If this is the case you'll just have explain this. If it has dropped too much then the perm wasn't left on enough or rollers too big, you can offer a re-perm rather than refund. If her hair is heavy and past her shoulders it will probably always drop to a certain extent, you have to advise the client of this when you do it. hope it goes ok.:biggrin:

Thanks penners, exactly what I plan to do, but is it possible for a perm to be fine then 2 weeks later not be and it be my fault?

sometimes it can look great just after perming then drop, especially on longer hair. is she saying it has been fine for 2 weeks then suddenly dropped? with longer hair it can sometimes turn into a wiggle with a curl on the end, sometimes greasy fine hair will do this other times over processed hair will do this - its a judgement call depending on hair type. let us know how it looks when you see her. its not necessarily your 'fault' as such, but it is one of the things that sometimes happen and we have to take responsibility for, like a colour turning out wrong.:evil:

sometimes it can look great just after perming then drop, especially on longer hair. is she saying it has been fine for 2 weeks then suddenly dropped? with longer hair it can sometimes turn into a wiggle with a curl on the end, sometimes greasy fine hair will do this other times over processed hair will do this - its a judgement call depending on hair type. let us know how it looks when you see her. its not necessarily your 'fault' as such, but it is one of the things that sometimes happen and we have to take responsibility for, like a colour turning out wrong.:evil:

Don't worry though about confrontation just tell her your put it right if there's fault, however if a perm falls out it usually does it sooner than two weeks with long hair . Find out how she's been combing it or if she's been whacking a brush through it as this can rip the perm out. Alot of old ladies have this habit.

In my experience with perms, if you've wound it well with small sections, left the lotion on until you get a good 's' shape forming and rinsed and neutralised well, you can't make that hair straight again unless you use chemicals. The bonds in the hair have been broken and then reformed in the curled shape - its permanent. I had a friend who hated her perm, washed and straightened it every day but it was still curly when wet. There are exceptions - very heavy longer hair will drag the curl down causing it to appear wavy, the same as naturally curly hair that is long. generally longer hair has to be permed on smaller than ideal rods to allow for the 'drop' but you can't wash/brush or drag that curl away. it very much depends on the hair type and knowing which perm lotion to choose . Goldwell Biocurl is brilliant for greasy limp hair and gives a strong result, Biolife was always a good one for the strong resistant hair.

it could also just need a trim, iv seen a few ladies in the salon saying their perms dropped but as soon as you trim it up it jumps up again and is fine!

Thanks everyone, really appreciate all the advice. Can't tell you anything yet as I can't get hold of the client!

Latest posts

Back