Client complaining about a self employed hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jemma Roberts

Reaction score
Had a client phone that had hair extensions fitted by a self employed hairdresser. The client is saying the Hairdresser has cut her hair and fitted them incorrectly, after going to another hairdressers because they had come loose. I told her she should of come to us and offered to rectify by another Tech but she said she doesn't want to. She is now saying she will bad mouth my salon and that I mislead her because I didn't tell her the Hairdresser was self employed! Where do I stand legally? And what's the best thing to say to her?

Thank you in advanced! X

Had a client phone that had hair extensions fitted by a self employed hairdresser. The client is saying the Hairdresser has cut her hair and fitted them incorrectly, after going to another hairdressers because they had come loose. I told her she should of come to us and offered to rectify by another Tech but she said she doesn't want to. She is now saying she will bad mouth my salon and that I mislead her because I didn't tell her the Hairdresser was self employed! Where do I stand legally? And what's the best thing to say to her?

Thank you in advanced! X

How have you mislead her by not telling her the stylist was self employed?! What does it matter?!

I don't know where you stand legally but, if she comments on your page etc you could say something along the lines of, ' I'm sorry you were not happy so n so, we did offer you to come back and we would arrange for a stylist to rectify and you declined the offer. We felt we had done the best we could with this offer.'

@BannerPenguin and @AcidPerm might be able to help?

Did you/the salon take the payment or the self employed stylist?

Thank you Tory. No the self employed hairdresser took payment. The hair its self was purchased through the other Self employed Hairdresser. Thanks Jemma x

Why are you even dealing with her? She should only be speaking to the self employed stylist.

Because she is blaming me as a owner of the Salon and though it would be courtesy to say her bit.

The hairdresser should be dealing with it full stop, what does she have to say on the matter? Are you aware you can terminate her contract if she dosent do her best to rectify this matter?

Also you ask about legally where do you stand, it's litterally nothing to do with you so you have no worries at all legally

She has spoke to her offered to rectify it and refund her money but she wants it for her hair she bought also & to just speak to me! The hairdresser is phoning her back.

Unfortunately, with the age of the internet anonymity taking legal action may be quite difficult. Be prepared to monitor social media platforms for possible negative reviews, and take the appropriate action of responding to the reviews.

If the owner of the salon I rent from ever got involved in a dispute between myself and a client, I'd be angry as hell. You simply explain to the client that's it's nothing to do with you and that she must deal with the stylist.

You haven't got the full story so don't jump the gun with negativity.... She asked me to speak to the client and the client asked to speak to me as at that point the client didn't no she was a self employed Hair dresser... But also I am extremely loyal and would help any one working in my salon if they needed it in any way why wouldn't I... It's all been sorted now and has ended with the client not only apologising to me but also thanked me for the way I handled it. Thanks to those positive helpful comments.

I think anyone who is self employed has to remember that it's the salon owners reputation on the line. Not all chair and room renters are ethical or fair (nor are all salon owners).

As a salon owner I would want to be sure that this is resolved whether it's anything to do with me or not - it's my salon and if this client goes on to bad mouth my salon because of a self employed hairdresser it's me that is affected. The hairdressers can rent elsewhere.

Of course it's up to the self employed person to deal with it but obviously the owner has an interest in the outcome.

Well done to the op. It sounds like it's sorted out well.

Vic x

It is without doubt of 'interest' to the salon owner.......
Our client's are not interested in the ins and out's...just that they went to 'THE SALON', and were not happy with the outcome....:(
Imagine you're having work done on your house by 'BIG BOB'S BUILDING BUSINESS'.
If one of BIG BOB'S messes up....who will you bad mouth....BIG BOB!:p
Most builders are self employed, but the buck stops with the 'BRAND'.

I don't know the legality of it, as I've not yet had a meeting with a solicitor, but

I'm planning to have a plaque/sign made stating something along the news of

"Hair/beauty stylists name"
Is self employed, they are not controlled by the salon or building owner. All complaints should be directed directly to them. Other employees are not responsible for their control.

I wouldn't even make this about the self employed hairdresser.

The client sounds bogus. Think about it. She is threatening to bad mouth the salon. She's not come to show you the problem in person. For all you know she could be on the other end of the phone with a lovely set of extensions done by the hairdresser from your salon.

Not enough evidence and plenty of threats. I wouldn't give this client the time of day.

I don't know the legality of it, as I've not yet had a meeting with a solicitor, but I'm planning to have a plaque/sign made stating something along the news of
"Hair/beauty stylists name"
Is self employed, they are not controlled by the salon or building owner. All complaints should be directed directly to them. Other employees are not responsible for their control.

All that will do is put genuine clients off using your salon.
Most clients who read it will deduce that your beauty therapist is not to be trusted.

If you must have a notice, something like 'Jo's Beauty is an independent business within this Salon' sounds far less threatening.

All that will do is put genuine clients off using your salon.
Most clients who read it will deduce that your beauty therapist is not to be trusted.

If you must have a notice, something like 'Jo's Beauty is an independent business within this Salon' sounds far less threatening.
As mentioned, words to be decided up, but you need to make sure the customer understands that the person doing her nails or hair does not represent the salon and she is self employed. As the salon owner you need to safe guard your name, nothing worse than having Facebook threads etc say this and that about your salon when it's nothing to do with you.... Personally you make the choice pussy foot around with nice soft words which could be miss read, or straight to the point. Let's face it some customers need help pulling up their tights

I'm not interested in rent a chair/self employed for different reasons....BUT, if I were, I would want to be sure that my 'tenant' checks out.
I am a landlord, I rent out a property.
My tenants are 'checked out', firstly by my letting agent, who will collect references and does a credit check, secondly by myself.:p
Not every tenant will 'fit'.
That is not me being picky, but I know the area, the property, and, as they will be living above my business, I want to like them, and they me.:)
For the most part it works......if it doesn't, let me tell you, it's miserable.:eek:
I see nothing wrong in applying the same with regard your salon.
When booth rental works....it can be great all round.
When it does not... it's the salon that's the loser:(

Latest posts

Back