Client complaining nails have faded

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberStevens1

Reaction score
I did a clients nails last week as they were going on holiday. They text me today saying could they have them re-painted because theuv faded.
These are gel nails and I refuse to believe the colour could have faded as I locked it in with two topcoats. They told me that they have been in the pool a lot, I think that the shine of the topcoat has faded which has just made them look a bit dull so if I just get her round to pop another top coat on, it will restore the nails shine and lift the colour back out. Do you agree?

You say they are gel nails, could you possibly mean gel polish?

It is possible that the colour could have faded, in particular pinks are the most prone to this. You say your clients were in a pool a lot, were they on holiday? The sun will bleach colours and chlorine will intensify this bleaching action. To reduce this effect clients should use solar oil daily and dry nails off when coming out of the pool and this effect will be greatly reduced.

red pigments are prone to fading, just think of an old red car and you'll realise they colour has turned kind of pinkish [emoji3] In the future I would pre warn clients of this and tell them how to prevent it :)

You say they are gel nails, could you possibly mean gel polish?

It is possible that the colour could have faded, in particular pinks are the most prone to this. You say your clients were in a pool a lot, were they on holiday? The sun will bleach colours and chlorine will intensify this bleaching action. To reduce this effect clients should use solar oil daily and dry nails off when coming out of the pool and this effect will be greatly reduced.

red pigments are prone to fading, just think of an old red car and you'll realise they colour has turned kind of pinkish [emoji3] In the future I would pre warn clients of this and tell them how to prevent it :)

I applied the tips, then the builder gel, then two coats of gel polish colour (BLUE), then two top coats. Is it also possible that the shine has just faded too so they just need another coat?

any colour can fade, pinks are just the worst offenders [emoji3] You don't say what brand you use, but cheaper products tend to fade more too :)

no amount of top coat will prevent fading. it's pointless to apply two top coats, there are no benefits to this and it will cost you more to do the service :)

it's possible they have dulled but I don't think this would make the colour look lighter , just duller.

to freshen up the look of your clients nails you won't need to start from scratch, I would buff over the entire nail , one coat of gel polish and one coat of top coat should be all that is required :)

My Le chat Mood In scarlet stars (the sparkly black that changes to red) did this when I went skiing in March, I know it didn't get bleached by the sun as I was wearing gloves on the slopes but i went in the chalet pool and hot tub every day so I suspect the chlorine x

any colour can fade, pinks are just the worst offenders [emoji3] You don't say what brand you use, but cheaper products tend to fade more too :)

no amount of top coat will prevent fading. it's pointless to apply two top coats, there are no benefits to this and it will cost you more to do the service :)

it's possible they have dulled but I don't think this would make the colour look lighter , just duller.

to freshen up the look of your clients nails you won't need to start from scratch, I would buff over the entire nail , one coat of gel polish and one coat of top coat should be all that is required :)

Ok thank you I will buff them and put new colour on :) I use bluesky gel polish which is £5.50 per colour. I have never had any complaints about fading before but like you say, I think it's her being on holiday in the sun and in the pool which has done it. Thanks for your advice

My Le chat Mood In scarlet stars (the sparkly black that changes to red) did this when I went skiing in March, I know it didn't get bleached by the sun as I was wearing gloves on the slopes but i went in the chalet pool and hot tub every day so I suspect the chlorine x
Yes, I think the chlorine has a lot to do with it!

I wonder if there's any way to stop it [emoji55] x

Hi Jordon and Amber

I would recommend retailing a UV topcoat to your clients this will help to prevent the pigment from fading. You can also retail a non acetone nail varnish remover so they can remove and reapply their top coat every few days as the UV protection will start to wear off.

I always remind my clients that when they go on holiday their towels and bikinis change colour and therefore nothing is completely resistant to the sun.

Katie

Hi Jordon and Amber

I would recommend retailing a UV topcoat to your clients this will help to prevent the pigment from fading. You can also retail a non acetone nail varnish remover so they can remove and reapply their top coat every few days as the UV protection will start to wear off.

I always remind my clients that when they go on holiday their towels and bikinis change colour and therefore nothing is completely resistant to the sun.

Katie
Thanks for the suggestion Allison, would that be a blocker for UV? like sun cream for your nails? it's one specific colour that fades and only on holiday so my problem would be clients don't want to faff about with topcoats on their holidays x

Thanks for the suggestion Allison, would that be a blocker for UV? like sun cream for your nails? it's one specific colour that fades and only on holiday so my problem would be clients don't want to faff about with topcoats on their holidays x
Hi Jordon

It is almost like a sun cream for your nails, you could apply the topcoat before they go on holiday which should help. For it to be most effective it should be reapplied every 3-4 days. Izabelle Hammon Ltd stock a UV topcoat under the CALGEL brand, if you look on the website you can register for an online account to purchase the topcoat at trade price.

Katie

Latest posts

Back