Client complaint-help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hair@2

Reaction score
Im looking for advice from anyone who may know or may have been in the same situation.

My salon has 5 star reviews everywhere and we really really do pride ourselves on the work we do. However around 9 months ago, a regular(ish) client come in for a blow dry and then curls put in using corioliss irons. We do this service many many times, across the salon. Yet this lady emailed to say that she was unhappy and that her hair was burnt. I emailed back saying that if she come back in then we would have a look at it, and if needed do a deep clarifying shampoo incase she hadnt washed the hair spray out properly and get rid of any product build up, then put an intese treatment on it. She never replied and 2 weeks later sent a similar message, i replied with the same reply, for her not to worry and to pop back in. A few days later she posted a post publicly on her facebook asking for advice because a local salon had RUINED her hair. I dropped her another email saying im sorry to read that shes still upset but really needs to come in so we can have a look at her hair and do whats needed. She did only have it curled and no damage was noticible when she left. She emailed back saying she was going to have to have it cut into a bob and loose 5 inches. I was mortified and upset as i really really dont believe it would have caused that amount of damage. I emailed back saying im really sure it will not need that, and if it really is that bad we will give her a course of olaplex treatments.

She never come back, and a few days later she named and shamed the salon again with a selfie of her with 4 inches cut off saying she was heartbroken a salon could ruin her hair.
I was gutted she didnt come back and more gutted another salon just cut her hair off without trying any course of treatments.

A few months later she come in for hair extensions. was booked in with the extensionist and totally slagged off the other stylist. But we remained totally profesional. Anyway her card got decliened she was going to the bank to withdraw money and drop it back...to cut an extremly long story short she sent numerous emails saying she was so sorry and in financial problems would get the money to us asap . A couple of months passed and for the saftey of her hair we emailed asking her to pop in to have them removed as she still had an outstanding balance and her maintanace was due, if she couldnt afford this she would need a removal. She then emailed saying were not having the hair and shes taking it as compensation...something wed never agreed as we had never admitted fault and will not to this day as we never saw her hair state after she first complained.

ANYWAY...to this day shes still slagging my salon off occasionally, i find it really distressing. Today ive seen that shes just posted a picture off her memories from a year ago and captioned it 'miss my long hair cant believe a salon can ruin your hair this bad in one appointment fuming #twat'

Its really really getting me down. Just wondering if anyone knows if i could send her an email saying if the public posts carry on we will be taking legal action as we do not believe we are or were at fault. She also has an outstanding balance still.......
However i obviously dont want her to turn it around on us and say shes taking legal action against us!

Stuck on what to do and would really appriciate advice after this long rant! Thanks!

If she has named and slated your salon in a public domain then you have all grounds to take legal action. Keep all the messages they and yourself have corresponded back and forth. I would email her and be direct tell her she either stops the posts or you WILL take legal action and sue her for slander. That generally is enough to make someone think twice about what they post and stop. especially if you mention you have all the messages shared between you both ready to show to a solicitor. Please note she has no legal grounds in which she could sue you.. or even take you to a civil court. So don't worry about the legalities.
Also it is illegal to receive a service without payment prior to ones knowledge of price of goods. So she has already broke the law... I would mention that also.

Send her a cease and desist letter and enclose an invoice for the outstanding balance giving her 7 days to pay before you take legal action to pursue the debt through the courts.

I don't understand why you've pussy footed around her for so long?

Send her a cease and desist letter and enclose an invoice for the outstanding balance giving her 7 days to pay before you take legal action to pursue the debt through the courts.

I don't understand why you've pussy footed around her for so long?

To be honest my salon has been so busy i havent had loads of time to chase her. I have sent emails explaining that she had an outstanding balance, to one of them she explained she had no money and was in the process of losing her house, i havent even acknowledged that email and have left it open and outstanding. She hasnt listend to any emails ive sent so i think my only action is legal action now. I thought by the time i pay out to get legal letters etc sent to her it would work out as expensive as the service its self. I felt like i was trying to get blood from a stone when it come to The cost of the hair i was thinking it was a loss and that as she had had that whole service she would give up with the public posts. The cost of the hair im not overly bothered by Its the fact shes slating my business, which is just upsetting, so i was looking for more advice on that side of things rather than the service price. We have many loyal clients and have been open for a good few years now, so i know her fews post out of hundreds of good posts wont have a dramatic effect but obviously i dont want it to have an effect on new clients or even her friends etc that can see the post thinking that we ruin peoples hair! So thats what i want to take legal action against more is the degrading of my salon, but obviously if the legal route has to be taken i will be claiming back the extension service on top. Just wanted advice onto whether i stood with a chance of suing her for that or whether if i took her to court she would just reverse it and take me for 'Destroying her hair' she gave up with the posts forna while but yesterday one re appered again and i dont want it every time she gets a FB memory of her long hair or in future when her current posts slagging the salon come up as her memories i dont want her to share them again and refresh people of her thoughts!

Last edited:
If she has named and slated your salon in a public domain then you have all grounds to take legal action. Keep all the messages they and yourself have corresponded back and forth. I would email her and be direct tell her she either stops the posts or you WILL take legal action and sue her for slander. That generally is enough to make someone think twice about what they post and stop. especially if you mention you have all the messages shared between you both ready to show to a solicitor. Please note she has no legal grounds in which she could sue you.. or even take you to a civil court. So don't worry about the legalities.
Also it is illegal to receive a service without payment prior to ones knowledge of price of goods. So she has already broke the law... I would mention that also.

Really appreciate your advice! I didnt think she had any grounds as ive really looked into it was just looking for peoples advice. Will follow yours ane insists she takes it down. Thanks so much!

Even if it works out as a loss I would still take her to court. My reasoning is that people should realise this is not okay.
She has so far;
- Belittled your salons rep online over her hair being curled
- Not allowed you to rectify
- Cut her hair elsewhere (in turn severing any responsibility you have)
- Come in for extensions with the intention of not paying
- Stolen them

She almost sounds like this is planned. If I felt my hair was ruined by a salon I personally would call the salon and try and get it rectified. The only thing that could be considered "wrong" by you is that with the first message, I would have called rather then emailed as people are less likely to pull these stunts.

it's a shame these things happen.

Even if it works out as a loss I would still take her to court. My reasoning is that people should realise this is not okay.
She has so far;
- Belittled your salons rep online over her hair being curled
- Not allowed you to rectify
- Cut her hair elsewhere (in turn severing any responsibility you have)
- Come in for extensions with the intention of not paying
- Stolen them

She almost sounds like this is planned. If I felt my hair was ruined by a salon I personally would call the salon and try and get it rectified. The only thing that could be considered "wrong" by you is that with the first message, I would have called rather then emailed as people are less likely to pull these stunts.

it's a shame these things happen.

Thanks for your advice. Ive decided to take legal action against her and as you say it does sound planned..just her online posts are so frustrating and how much shes making out her hair is totally ruined!!! I know i did everything right in what i offered her.

I did try to call but had no response i was then advised that its always good to use email as a correspodence because its actually a legal document and can be used in court of proof of what was said. Looking back im glad she didmt awnser the phone because god knows howw it would of gone or what she could of siad was said.

Just wanted to double check peoples advice on whether she could turn the tables as it were.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your advice. Ive decided to take legal action against her and as you say it does sound planned..just her online posts are so frustrating and how much shes making out her hair is totally ruined!!! I know i did everything right in what i offered her.

I did try to call but had no response i was then advised that its always good to use email as a correspodence because its actually a legal document and can be used in court of proof of what was said. Looking back im glad she didmt awnser the phone because god knows howw it would of gone or what she could of siad was said.

Just wanted to double check peoples advice on whether she could turn the tables as it were.

Thanks again!

not long ago there was a post almost identical to this.
she is chancing her luck!!!
However... i have returned 4 or 5 sets of corioliss straighteners in the last year as this has happened to my clients hair. they are very hot and i wonder if they are even ceramic coated as i have seen the ends of clients hair burn in front of my eyes!! it was horrendous!!! i did a course of olaplex treatments on one client to no avail, it was not gonna repair the hair, i had to cut her hair all over again :( thankfully it was only half an inch. i don't know how some heads of hair are more prone to these straighteners than others. do a little strand test on old extensions with the straighteners, i'm sure you will see the hair fry just as i did :( xx

Hi my daughter had coriolis straighteners ( about 5 years ago ) I used to borrow them sometimes ,although they straightened brilliantly, they did frazzle my hair around the hairline at the front
Saying that , however you gave the customer ample opportunities for you to sort it out. So go for it !

Get a solicitor!!! What a jobs worth

not long ago there was a post almost identical to this.
she is chancing her luck!!!
However... i have returned 4 or 5 sets of corioliss straighteners in the last year as this has happened to my clients hair. they are very hot and i wonder if they are even ceramic coated as i have seen the ends of clients hair burn in front of my eyes!! it was horrendous!!! i did a course of olaplex treatments on one client to no avail, it was not gonna repair the hair, i had to cut her hair all over again :( thankfully it was only half an inch. i don't know how some heads of hair are more prone to these straighteners than others. do a little strand test on old extensions with the straighteners, i'm sure you will see the hair fry just as i did :( xx

Ahh thank you for the advice. I might just totally change irons then, ive never noticed before and only ever use them on 210 maximum. Overall usually on 190 but thats 2 people that have said that now. So going to change as dont want to chance it.

Latest posts

Back