Client complaint - nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily Case

Reaction score
Hi all. How are you enjoying this weather?!

Last week I had a client buy a Mother's Day Package for his mum, which included an express manicure voucher. He was going to pick the gift bag up from me but he has recently had an operation so I went out of my way in the pouring rain on Friday to deliver the gift package to him for her. His mum was really pleased with the treatment, she had a french manicure (using CND Colour/Effects and Stickey/Shiney). I also did a kid's mini mani & pedi on his daughter, who I have met before.

Unfortunately, my phone was out of action for a few hours yesterday but when I turned it back on again I received a text saying:
"Hi Emily I have been trying to phone you. I am disappointed with my nails . I have worn gloves all the time for dishes and yet they only lasted two days. Please can u call or text me to discuss? Thank you kind regards ."

I am a bit gutted to be honest but is this normal? :confused: It's never happened before but at the same time I don't do a lot of polish manis any more. I did say at the appointment that I can't guarantee nail polish but that she can upgrade to Shellac if she wanted (her son sent her with some extra money in case she wanted to).

I replied with the following:
"Hi [insert name here], my sincerest apologies for not being available - I've had problems with my phone today. I'm sorry you're disappointed with your manicure, if you'd like to arrange an appointment with me I will apply your polish free of charge - this has never happened before so I hope it's a simple problem that I can rectify easily. Kindest regards, Emily xx"

:| I have to say, I would be a bit miffed too if it was me. So I have offered to reapply the polish as a goodwill gesture (and will be stating this when she arrives). It will only take a few minutes... But I love my CND Polishes, and like I said this has NEVER happened before. I did a set of dinosaur nails on a 9 year old a couple of weeks ago and they lasted 6 days! So I don't believe it was my fault... but I wouldn't want any client unhappy.

What's done is done now and I will let you know what she says if she replies but, if this ever happens again, would any of you have handled it differently?

xxx

Last edited:
I think you've handled it well.

My first thought is to aftercare? I wonder exactly what she's been doing and I'm sure she will figure out for herself if it does/doesn't happen again.

Second thought, what where her expectations of a normal polish vs power polish? How many days worth of wear did she aim to achieve? Should she have gone for shellac in the first place?

P x

I don't know what else you could do hun, sounds like you have handled it professionally. Polish is a tricky one I think, people think they're being really delicate but its so easy to chip! (just my opinion anyway) maybe assess the situation when/if you see her as you might be able to sell her Shellac instead this time...? :)

Sent from my GT-I9100

Whilst I was applying the polish she asked how long it usually lasts, and I told her that "on average it tends to last between 4 and 7 days depending on how well you look after them and how long nail polish usually lasts for you". I think that was reasonable of me to say, don't you?

Smellenor, I agree - I can't guarantee services with nail polish because everyone treats their hands differently. I will explain the benefits of Shellac but I doubt she will pay extra for that, even if I deduct the cost of the nail polish from the price! She stated that she doesn't usually have her nails done so I wonder whether she's just not used to looking after her nails. :(

Xxx

I don't know what to say as I think you have handled it really professionally already. When you have finished your appointment I will just remind her how important aftercare is to prolong the nail polish. Apart from that.. I don't think there's much else you can do.

I think you handled it fab, I've had clients who last 4/5 days with polish then on occ chip them within 24, you can guarantee polish, we all know that's why gel and shellac was invented to help this issue.

I've had nail polish chip with in hours!! Once the client leaves the salon you cannot guarantee any service!!! You do not know what the client is doing ones they leave!
You were very generous to offer her a free treatment. I would have maybe offered her a discount off a CND Shellac service.
I had a client do it to me with Minx she came back after 3 weeks and told me that her big toe had a bit that had come up so she pulled it off then pulled them all off as it looked silly! .... And expected me to do it for free!!! I explained that if she didn't pull it off they would have been fine if she would have left them alone!! She was upset so I offered her 10% off a new set but not for free!!

I you know that the polish you did was all done correctly in the first place then the fault remains with the client, not you.

I also was you said you did a mini manicure ... Did you pep?

Thank you all, I definitely feel reassured. Sometimes it's a lonely job lol especially when the only people I can ask for opinions aren't in this industry at all!

If it was a more expensive service then I would have offered discount, but considering she was only complaining about the polish I'm literally losing pennies so if it means my reputation remains intact, to me, it's worth it.

The job was absolutely done correctly... I did the following:
Nails clipped and shaped with a 240 grit file, removed cuticle (from sidewalls too), mini massage w/ Scentsations, heated mitts, dehydrated twice with Scrubfresh to remove all remaining lotion, Stickey base coat, white tip, sparkly effect, Shiney top coat, finished with Solar Speed Spray.

xxx

I just wanted to say I think you were very generous in your response. I can't even keep regular polish on a day, if it lasted me 4 I'd be very impressed!

Whilst I was applying the polish she asked how long it usually lasts, and I told her that "on average it tends to last between 4 and 7 days depending on how well you look after them and how long nail polish usually lasts for you". I think that was reasonable of me to say, don't you?

Smellenor, I agree - I can't guarantee services with nail polish because everyone treats their hands differently. I will explain the benefits of Shellac but I doubt she will pay extra for that, even if I deduct the cost of the nail polish from the price! She stated that she doesn't usually have her nails done so I wonder whether she's just not used to looking after her nails. :(

Xxx

Wish it lasted 4 to 7 days on my nails.:biggrin: Even over acrylic overlays I still manage to chip it or it wears off at the free edge when I'm using certain products doing my clients nails.
It doesn't matter what polish I use I'm rubbish trying to keep it on. hehe. It lasts for weeks on my toes though.
Now shellac.. thats my little miracle in a bottle that is. :biggrin:
I don't believe it just chipped on it's own. I think it's more than likely something she has done. Good for you though for offering to redo free of charge.

perhaps you could offer to do one of her nails with shellac if she comes back. that way she can see for herself how it compares to normal polish...then you can convert her ;)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

perhaps you could offer to do one of her nails with shellac if she comes back. that way she can see for herself how it compares to normal polish...then you can convert her ;)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Fab idea xxx

I've had a similar experience today.
One of my work mates was a model for me (for my coursework), I did a Gelish french for her on saturday.
She works in a school kitchen & I'm one of the delivery drivers.

This afternoon she shows me 2 chipped nails and says shes gonna pop round for me to repair them (i didn't charge her in the first place). She swears blind shes been wearing gloves all day.

I inspected them asked a few questions, then she says maybe she's been a little hard on her nails today.

I did mine last week too and mine haven't chipped at all.
All my other 9 models have had no complaints at all, and I'm confident that I followed the procedures well.

I'm getting the feeling it's might not be that unusual to get clients who are more than economical with the truth. :biggrin:

I would never have any expectations with normal polish. If you get a night out of it fab, if its lasts a week the client prob had fantastic nails and doesn't do housework! A few days is fine for it to last.

I never give a timescale for polish either-if clients ask how long it lasts I just say it should last longer than a DIY job but varies massively between clients.
You really can't put a timescale on it because on some people it literally will only last a couple days, sometimes a couple of hours if they leave the salon and go straight to do the dishes lol.

I find the length of time nail polish stays on people depends even more on what their nails are like than on how they care for it.

With the best will in the world, gloves for chores and solar oil applied five times a day, someone with weak, thin, bendy nails is never going to get past 2 days.

Some people think we have magic in those bottles.

Maybe she got regular polish and shellac mixed up .

I mean she could have thought that the polish was Shellac and heard that it lasts but didn't understand.

I've had it happen and have been sometimes exasperated trying to explain the difference but some people just don't get it.

You were very good to offer to re-do it for her , I would have too...just the once though ..

I think you're being very generous to offer her a free repaint, however if you've told her they will last 4 to 7 days perhaps you may have to.

I do not make any guarantees regarding polish on natural nails. CND colour & effects are great and I can sometimes get the best part of a week out of them but I'd never guarantee it. It depends on your clients nails and the aftercare. I always tell clients that polish is fine if they want nice nails for one day or one event but that they can start to chip or scuff shortly afterwards. If they get more than that its a bonus, and its my opportunity to upsell to a shellac mani.

I would tell your client that you have looked into it and found that polish can last up to 7 days but that it can begin to chip quite soon in some cases, therefore you will re-do for free but cannot guarantee a length of wear, and recommend she has shellac if longevity is what she is after. Perhaps offer a free shellac mani by way of apology/thanks? It wont take you any longer than a polish and you might make a new shellac client

Thanks for the replies, in future I will avoid putting a timescale on polish manis. Maybe I have been lucky but 4 days has been the minimum amount of time any of my manis have lasted and I do 20+ ladies at pamper evenings with the same polish every couple of months. She has apparently had Shellac before for a holiday so definitely knows the difference... I don't need to convert her as the mani she had was a Mother's Day gift from her son and she did choose not to upgrade.

Thank you all for the advice.

'chelle, do you think I need to apologise with a free Shellac mani? I honestly don't feel I have done anything wrong... if I did, I have offered to repeat the service she is unhappy with free of charge which I personally think is more than enough.

She replied to me earlier saying:

"Hi Emily ok that sounds great thank u! I won't have my toe nails redone as to cold for flip flops but would like shellac on my finger nails please as I know that's ok. I am free thursday afternoon if u have a space ? Kind regards"

I have sent back:
"[name], I am offering to reapply your nail polish as a goodwill gesture so are you aware that a Shellac manicure will be charged? I can deduct the cost of nail polish (£5) from the Shellac manicure if that's what you would prefer. I'm afraid I don't work on Thursdays but I have got space on Friday at 4pm if that suits you. Emily xx"

Have I been too harsh?

Xxx

Last edited:
I think your very generous offer of a free repaint was more than enough and your reply was definitely not harsh.
Surely if this lady has had shellac previously then she will know that it is a more expensive treatment than a normal polish.
I hope she becomes a regular customer for you but a free shellac would just be her taking advantage of your good nature and totally unreasonable.

Latest posts

Back