Client complaint - nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies, in future I will avoid putting a timescale on polish manis. Maybe I have been lucky but 4 days has been the minimum amount of time any of my manis have lasted and I do 20+ ladies at pamper evenings with the same polish every couple of months. She has apparently had Shellac before for a holiday so definitely knows the difference... I don't need to convert her as the mani she had was a Mother's Day gift from her son and she did choose not to upgrade.

Thank you all for the advice.

'chelle, do you think I need to apologise with a free Shellac mani? I honestly don't feel I have done anything wrong... if I did, I have offered to repeat the service she is unhappy with free of charge which I personally think is more than enough.

She replied to me earlier saying:

"Hi Emily ok that sounds great thank u! I won't have my toe nails redone as to cold for flip flops but would like shellac on my finger nails please as I know that's ok. I am free thursday afternoon if u have a space ? Kind regards"

I have sent back:
"[name], I am offering to reapply your nail polish as a goodwill gesture so are you aware that a Shellac manicure will be charged? I can deduct the cost of nail polish (£5) from the Shellac manicure if that's what you would prefer. I'm afraid I don't work on Thursdays but I have got space on Friday at 4pm if that suits you. Emily xx"

Have I been too harsh?

Xxx

Hi, sorry I think I chose my words badly. I dont think you need to apologise for anything you did, by "apologise" I meant just to say that you are sorry that the manicure didnt last as long as she would have liked, but not to say sorry for anything you did. I dont think you need to offer her a free shellac mani if you dont want to, all I was thinking was that you were going to do a free repaint in any case, and a shellac mani would take a similar time, but if you did shellac for her its a product she's never had before and might just really impress her in terms of how much longer it lasts, so you might pick up a new shellac client. Doing the Shellac freeby was more an idea for your benefit than for hers to be honest!

She replied to me earlier saying:

"Hi Emily ok that sounds great thank u! I won't have my toe nails redone as to cold for flip flops but would like shellac on my finger nails please as I know that's ok. I am free thursday afternoon if u have a space ? Kind regards"

I have sent back:
"[name], I am offering to reapply your nail polish as a goodwill gesture so are you aware that a Shellac manicure will be charged? I can deduct the cost of nail polish (£5) from the Shellac manicure if that's what you would prefer. I'm afraid I don't work on Thursdays but I have got space on Friday at 4pm if that suits you. Emily xx"

Have I been too harsh?

Xxx

I don't think you have been harsh at all. I think you have been clear, concise, helpful and business like. There is no guilt or emotion in your reply, which is how it should be in my opinion.

Oh I see, thank you! She has had Shellac and Gelish before but only for a holiday, it's not a regular thing hence my wondering whether she just wasn't used to looking after them.

Well, she just phoned and she's also blaming me because she ruined her toe polish when she left my house (she didn't bring flip flops but is that my fault)?

So she said she couldn't understand why I was only deducting £5 and why was it so expensive. I panicked and said I'd deduct for the toe polish aswell (kicking myself now but I hate confrontation) so will take £10 off her Shellac mani.

The Mother's Day package was:
Scentsations Lotion (59ml)
Solar Oil Pinkie
Lumos Top Coat Mini
Mini Nail File
3 Chocolates
Express Mani Voucher
10% discount voucher for the future
Complimentary glass of wine with the service

...all for £22 - she chose an express pedi too so it came to £34 (SO expensive).

I feel like a right nonce. She sounded ok by the end of the phone call though - would anyone have handled THAT differently?!

Xxx

No it's not your fault she smudged her toes!! It sounds to me like this woman is trying it on. The alarm bells are ringing and I can hear them all the way over here!!

It's so hard when you're put on the spot. It would have been better if she'd text you so that you could clear your head and think of an answer. She's now going to think you're a pushover. You definitely went too far in giving her even more discount but it's too late now, you can't go back on your word.

Take it as a learning curve. Never again!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us as I am learning from it too. Some customers are quite difficult to handle. Don't get wound up about it. Just get it over with now.

:hug::hug:

Get rid, as difficult people will always be difficult!

I always prefer texting or emailing because I'm terrible when speaking but good at writing! However, not everyone likes texting and I pretty much had to answer :( couldn't keep putting her off.

I'm a nervous person, and totally shot myself in the foot... A right pushover. I'm glad you're learning from my mistakes, it's a horrible position to be in and at least you'll know what to do if the same happens to you!

I'm figuring at least I will cover the cost of the Shellac mani. I'm going to do the appointment (she's asking about next weds) and then maybe be "fully booked" in future depending on how she is at the upcoming appointment.

Xxx

Oh I see, thank you! She has had Shellac and Gelish before but only for a holiday, it's not a regular thing hence my wondering whether she just wasn't used to looking after them.

Well, she just phoned and she's also blaming me because she ruined her toe polish when she left my house (she didn't bring flip flops but is that my fault)?

So she said she couldn't understand why I was only deducting £5 and why was it so expensive. I panicked and said I'd deduct for the toe polish aswell (kicking myself now but I hate confrontation) so will take £10 off her Shellac mani.

The Mother's Day package was:
Scentsations Lotion (59ml)
Solar Oil Pinkie
Lumos Top Coat Mini
Mini Nail File
3 Chocolates
Express Mani Voucher
10% discount voucher for the future
Complimentary glass of wine with the service

...all for £22 - she chose an express pedi too so it came to £34 (SO expensive).

I feel like a right nonce. She sounded ok by the end of the phone call though - would anyone have handled THAT differently?!

Xxx

So she didn't even pay full price for the polish you did??
I wouldn't offer her anything for free!!! Really if your pushing your self I would offer her 34p off her next treatment as that was the cost of the polish!!! Seriously she got all that for £22 and she's moaning!!!!
Stand up for yourself!! you'd did all that hard work and she wants £10 off Shellac!!

I would explain to her that... I am happy to deduct £5 for the cost of your next shellac manicure (seen as you've already said you will!!) however if you wish to have a shellac pedicure the price will be £xx, I will be unable to reduce the cost of the service for you. Please let me know if you would like to book an appointment etc....

Be straight, be nice, but stand up for yourself!! Don't let her dictate to you how much money she wants off her service. If she questions it explain that .... I cannot guaranty how long a nail polish service will last once complete as I cannot be sure that full after care has been carried out. However if you would like a service that lasts longer than nail polish I would recommend CND Shellac which costs £xx

So she didn't even pay full price for the polish you did??
I wouldn't offer her anything for free!!! Really if your pushing your self I would offer her 34p off her next treatment as that was the cost of the polish!!! Seriously she got all that for £22 and she's moaning!!!!
Stand up for yourself!! you'd did all that hard work and she wants £10 off Shellac!!

I would explain to her that... I am happy to deduct £5 for the cost of your next shellac manicure (seen as you've already said you will!!) however if you wish to have a shellac pedicure the price will be £xx, I will be unable to reduce the cost of the service for you. Please let me know if you would like to book an appointment etc....

Be straight, be nice, but stand up for yourself!! Don't let her dictate to you how much money she wants off her service. If she questions it explain that .... I cannot guaranty how long a nail polish service will last once complete as I cannot be sure that full after care has been carried out. However if you would like a service that lasts longer than nail polish I would recommend CND Shellac which costs £xx

No she didn't pay full price :(

You're totally right and to be honest I'm so upset with myself it's unreal.

She phoned again today and - wait for this, it just keeps getting better - has to cancel her discounted appointment next week and therefore wants a voucher.
Me: "you won't need a voucher as I know who you are and will deduct the agreed price from the treatment."
Her: "but how do I pass that on?"
Me: "I'm sorry I don't follow."
Her: "how long will I have to use it?"
Me: "I'll keep to what we agreed if you come within the next month."
Her: "well I'm not being funny emily but I really was not happy, my husband is sick and my shifts at work have changed so I need the £10 voucher because I won't be able to come within the next month. It's not fair, I want to pass it onto my son so he can use it for his partner or daughter and they won't use it in a month either."

I cannot believe her audacity. And you know what else I can't believe? That I was so sick of her WHINING that I agreed. Her son is lovely and so is his partner and daughter so fair I'll do it for them... Just to get her out of my hair. But if she wants to book in again I won't be available. I am actually shaking, why do I let people walk over me? I have sent her son a message - it was him that made the appointment in the first place and I feel belittled by her. It says;
"[name], your mum contacted me to say she was unhappy with the service she received. She has asked for a voucher but I feel it more appropriate to send £10 over to you via PayPal or online banking so that you can use that within another salon for [partner] or [daughter]. Thank you for your cusom, I wish you the very best of luck finding another nail technician that suits your needs. Emily xx"

There's no misreading that - basically, here's some money back and you'll have to find someone else in future.

This is the last time I ever let anyone dictate how I run my business. Today I am going to start writing down some Terms & Conditions (Returns, Refunds etc). Has anyone got any templates or something I could look at just to get a rough idea of what to write?

I know what you're all thinking... "Told you so" springs to mind! :(

Xxx

Last edited:

She phoned again today and - wait for this, it just keeps getting better - has to cancel her discounted appointment next week and therefore wants a voucher.
Me: "you won't need a voucher as I know who you are and will deduct the agreed price from the treatment."
Her: "well I'm not being funny emily but I really was not happy, my husband is sick and my shifts at work have changed so I need the £10 voucher because I won't be able to come within the next month. It's not fair, I want to pass it onto my son so he can use it for his partner or daughter and they won't use it in a month either."

I cannot believe her audacity. And you know what else I can't believe? That I was so sick of her WHINING that I agreed. Her son is lovely and so is his partner and daughter so fair I'll do it for them... Just to get her out of my hair. But if she wants to book in again I won't be available. I am actually shaking, why do I let people walk over me? I'll write the voucher out but what expiry date do I give it? Or do I just send £10 in the post and not reply/answer to any of them again? I feel belittled by her.

This is the last time I ever let anyone dictate how I run my business. Today I am going to start writing down some Terms & Conditions (Returns, Refunds etc). Has anyone got any templates or something I could look at just to get a rough idea of what to write?

Xxx

I'd ring her son and tell him that his mother is being unreasonable and could he possibly explain to her that he purchased a package deal for her present which meant it was considerably discounted! Tell him that you feel under these circumstances, since he purchased tge gift, you would like to offer him £10 off a shellac manicure and when would HE like to book in.
Vouchers are non transferable! Besides you don't owe her anything!!
Ring her and tell her you have changed your mind!! She has changed hers often enough lol

I'd ring her son and tell him that his mother is being unreasonable and could he possibly explain to her that he purchased a package deal for her present which meant it was considerably discounted! Tell him that you feel under these circumstances, since he purchased tge gift, you would like to offer him £10 off a shellac manicure and when would HE like to book in.
Vouchers are non transferable! Besides you don't owe her anything!!
Ring her and tell her you have changed your mind!! She has changed hers often enough lol

Sorry Hun I've just edited the above post, please read again :)

Xx

I wouldn't ring her son!! That's just weird!

Do you have her address? I would post her a voucher valid for one month just to keep her quite!

When she rang up I would have very apologetic and explained that the discount was only available for that appointment and cannot be carried over to another appointment. Again she would probably moan but just be apologetic and say that unfortunately as she had to cancel the appointment you are unable to carry the discount across

One lesson I was told when I first set up my business is that it is ok to 'sack' some customers. If they're causing you more work and more stress than you earn from them then you need to get rid of them. It's not being nasty or letting anyone down - just good business practice.

I think your message was reasonable and it's a great idea to set out some Terms and Conditions. You can always choose to exercise discretion and bend them in special circumstances but you'll have a good foundation for dealing with conflict in the future.

Forget this Client - but always remember the lesson she taught you :)
Sunshine xx

I cannot believe her audacity. And you know what else I can't believe? That I was so sick of her WHINING that I agreed. Her son is lovely and so is his partner and daughter so fair I'll do it for them... Just to get her out of my hair. But if she wants to book in again I won't be available. I am actually shaking, why do I let people walk over me? I have sent her son a message - it was him that made the appointment in the first place and I feel belittled by her. It says;
"[name], your mum contacted me to say she was unhappy with the service she received. She has asked for a voucher but I feel it more appropriate to send £10 over to you via PayPal or online banking so that you can use that within another salon for [partner] or [daughter]. Thank you for your cusom, I wish you the very best of luck finding another nail technician that suits your needs. Emily xx"

There's no misreading that - basically, here's some money back and you'll have to find someone else in future.

Xxx

Oh Emily, please don't beat yourself up over this :(
You're obviously sweet and kind (a very nice trait to have :wink2:) and the old bag took advantage of that.

I would just add in your letter to her son though that you bent over backwards to accommodate his mum, but unfortunately nothing was to her liking (he'll probably know exactly what his mum's like!) and as you are a consummate professional and pride yourself on your highly regarded reputation you will, as a gesture of goodwill, in this instance, refund the £10.00.
Just look on it as a lesson to be learned and that you will now draw up some rules in writing regarding refunds etc.
Don't let her get you down
Big Hugs x

Latest posts

Back