Client complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi there,
Was just after some advice please.
I'am self employed and rent a chair in a salon.
On Wednesday I had a client in who's hair I haven't done before, she had been colouring it herself at home for a few years so it was a yellow golden blonde colour all over. She showed me a picture of someone who had blonde hair with thick brown streaks going through it.. in the consultation I told her that the lady in the picture had very thick wavy hair where as hers was straight and fine so the results wouldn't look the same anyway. So she agreed to have lowlights put in but a lot more subtle, as I didn't want it to look streaky.. after finishing her hair she said she was very pleased with the colour and cut. Then when I took the payment for her hair she gave me a £5 tip also.
Then the following day she phoned up saying she felt her hair was too ash and she was unsure of the colour so I told her to come in that day and I would add some warmer tones to it. I tried to explain to her that her hair wouldn't look like the photo she showed me. (Since the lady in the photo has completely different hair to you) as a hairdresser if someone wants something doing that I don't think will look right or suit them I will try and advise them against it and come up with an alternative.
So after re doing her hair and styling it again for her, she said the colour was 'much better' then when leaving she asked if she owed anything.. to which I replied 'no' as if someone is unhappy with their I will always rectify it free of charge.. then she handed me £10 and said take this for your time.
Then 2 days later I had a call from the lady's sister who was very abrupt and rude to me on the phone saying if I didn't give her the money back she would sue me, I was very shocked at this as two days ago she left the salon happy, plus if she was unhappy with her hair why couldn't she ring and tell me this herself. I felt so intimidated by her so agreed to return her the money. The thing that has shocked me more is that she also wants the extra £15 she gave me as a tip. Now I don't want to sound petty but under the circumstances, I think I am being good returning her money in the first place but the tip on top.. she gave me it out of her own choice and I blow dried her hair free of charge and she loved the hair cut I gave her.
I guess I'm just angry as she couldn't discuss her issue with me herself instead getting her sister to threaten me over the phone.
So sorry to rant but I'm just looking for any advice really on where I stand legally? To be honest I'm happy to refund the cost of her hair treatment but don't think I should give the £15 back on top too.
Any advice I will be so grateful for thank you x

I wouldn't refund I would ask the the client come back in to discuss any problems. All seems very strange. Have you got a pic of her hair?

I wouldn't refund I would ask the the client come back in to discuss any problems. All seems very strange. Have you got a pic of her hair?

Yes, I took a before and after. I'm not happy to refund her hair as it's not like I have messed it up but if she's not coming into the salon makes me suspicious that she might of done something to it herself and messed it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1476704983.105812.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1476705015.894150.jpg

Well her hair looks fab. So do not refund!!

The client is an adult and therefore quite capable of communicating with you herself. I would not entertain any further communication with the sister, just message the client yourself and tell her that she will need to come in in person to discuss the situation. I would advise that a refund is at your discretion and that she was happy when she left so it appears she has just changed her mind. Tell her she needs to come in as you will need to take pictures for your insurance providers and complete a written report. If you do decide to refund, I would deduct the price of the cbd from your refund. A tip is just a Thankyou for service provided and completely at the clients discretion. you did not ask her to tip you that was her choice so I think she is being very unreasonable. If she did not like it at the time, she wouldn't have given it!
If they threaten you with legal action, let them, they won't get very far. You have provided a service requested and also offered to rectify when she didn't like it. People like this probably go from salon to salon trying to pull the same stunt.

Thank you,
She originally wanted me to pay for her to go somewhere else. It's just very demoralising when you know your a good hairdresser and do your best to make them happy.

Thank you,
She originally wanted me to pay for her to go somewhere else. It's just very demoralising when you know your a good hairdresser and do your best to make them happy.
Please do not give her a refund. I think she is just trying it on I'm afraid you get one now and again. Her hair looks lovely and try not to worry anymore about it. Tell her sister that she will need to come back and discuss what bit she doesn't like. I'll bet you she won't come.xx

Sounds like she and her sister might have purposely done this to try get free hair treatments services and I agree if you have already rectified the problem and were very clear before hand i don't see how she could ask for a refund.

I would ignore her sisters threats. Wait for the lawyers letter , more likely she just trying scare tactics.

Please do not refund her I would do exactly as day dream has said!
I don't suppose you are in Birmingham are you as I had someone scarily similar to this 2 months ago called tracy! Xx

Ps the colour looks fab love! You haven't done anything wrong!

I would also say you have been in touch with your solicitor and no further communication from her sister will be tolerated as it's a form of abuse!

Latest posts

Back