Client complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemma brookes

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So a few weeks ago I did a Shellac application on fingers and toes for a client of mine. A Little background information - she's had other treatments with me before, massages, waxing etc. Never once does she say I've done a good job but yet still comes back to me. Of all my clients she's the only one I dread coming in, she's very judgmental and nosey to put it politely.

So she had her shellac done 3 days prior to a 2 week holiday abroad. I explained meticulously how long to expect of shellac and the difference between it and gel and also all the correct aftercare.

Now today I receive a Facebook message yet usually she always contacts me via the salon phone. I work inside a hairdressers. Her message says this 'she has been trying to get a hold of me (I have had no missed calls, messages, all the girls working here haven't taken a call from her I've checked) after 5 days her nails had grown out. By 9 days some of them had chipped. And by 2 weeks one had come off and they had all lifted.'

She also says she didn't go in the pool for the first 8 days, so in theory by this point she had had them on 11 days.

She doesn't say what she is wanting in the message. However I get the feeling she is wanting to test me and see if she can get either a refund or at least something back. Now I feel she has done well to get the full 2 weeks to say she's on holiday. She also referred to them as gels. I can't be blamed for her fast nail growth. But sense as she has lied about trying to get a hold of me, that this is her way of getting out of being able to send me pictures back when it happened? She has always quibbled over prices with all treatments, only ever comes when there's something on offer. She has also told me numerous times where else she goes or has been for treatments. I feel she's trying her luck here.

I'm just debating on what to reply. I was thinking something along the lines of 'Hi... sorry you haven't been able to get in touch, I've checked my phone but haven't received any messages. Sorry to hear you feel your Shellac didn't last as long as you had hoped but the time you got out of it is standard for being away on holiday. The sun does encourage nail growth and also can warm the Shellac and sometimes mould it a little. Shellac is different to gel, it isn't as hard wearing but this means it is much less damaging. However up to 14 days is normal for Shellac so it seems on this occasion Shellac may not be for you and you may be best sticking with Gel in future. Hope you had a lovely holiday x

Is this ok? I'm not going to reply until Tues as that is when I am back working as I refuse to speak with clients out of working hours. I also don't feel she should get any money back. I did my job correctly. She was happy. Her toes she hasn't mentioned so they must still be fine, this makes me feel it is the general aftercare.

Any thoughts welcome please xx

Sounds a good reply to me.
Perhaps sun cream has affected her nails.
Just talk about how you can adjust products in future treatments blah blah...

No need to refund at all
[emoji3]

I think your reply is spot on re timing. Grown out after 5 days is expected. As is it not lasting as long due to chemicals in suncream, insect repellent and being in water. Even when we advise them at their appointment I'm sure most don't wipe/wash their nails after applying anything containing chemicals

Last edited:
Do you really want to keep her as a client? I'm not sure I'd have someone back who quibbled with me over my prices!

If it were me I'd keep the message quite factual and I wouldn't apologise for anything other than the fact that she seemingly couldn't (didn't) get in touch with you...

"Hi... sorry you haven't been able to get in touch, I've checked my phone but haven't received any messages.

The sun does encourage nail growth, this is completely normal.

Shellac can give UP TO 14 days wear in circumstances where aftercare advice is followed to the letter. Being on holiday, in the sun, using sun creams, in the swimming pool, etc, will all have an effect on the longevity of shellac.

In future I'd recommend you try blah blah blah instead.

Best wishes"

I agree with ciderella, I think you've kept it very concise and to the point, as well as being professional without apologising and putting either you or the product down. Good luck! x

I think I would say something similar but I wouldn't even reply regarding nail growth what's it to do with you lol, or instead of saying sun encouraging growth saying it's completely out of your control but I can't tolerate clients like this they drive me up the wall :confused:

I think I would say something similar but I wouldn't even reply regarding nail growth what's it to do with you lol, or instead of saying sun encouraging growth saying it's completely out of your control but I can't tolerate clients like this they drive me up the wall :confused:
I
Agree with this- I would keep it short and to the point, especially as it's not a client that it seems you should be bending over backwards for!

I don't yet have any experience working in this field with clients (hopefully will soon!) however from my experience in my current job you can spend a lot of time and effort which is never appreciated with some people and I think you're probably overthinking keeping her happy.

Be polite, but short in your response.

I love your reply, I find it very hard to believe she couldn't get hold of you.

Do you really want to keep her as a client? I'm not sure I'd have someone back who quibbled with me over my prices!

If it were me I'd keep the message quite factual and I wouldn't apologise for anything other than the fact that she seemingly couldn't (didn't) get in touch with you...

"Hi... sorry you haven't been able to get in touch, I've checked my phone but haven't received any messages.

The sun does encourage nail growth, this is completely normal.

Shellac can give UP TO 14 days wear in circumstances where aftercare advice is followed to the letter. Being on holiday, in the sun, using sun creams, in the swimming pool, etc, will all have an effect on the longevity of shellac.

In future I'd recommend you try blah blah blah instead.

Best wishes"

Honestly, I don't really want her as a client either. She's the only one I don't look forward to seeing and just can't warm to. I think your right, I won't bother saying sorry for anything other than her not being able to get a hold of me. Although I've checked my diary and turns out she would have returned from her holiday Saturday 5th November so in a whole week of being home she has only just got in touch hmm...

Thanks everyone. I've noticed in the past few months, the clients I had who have ever quibbled over price or messed me around have moved on which I am glad for. I have fantastic loyal clients, and this is the only one I can't enjoy doing treatments for. I will reply on Tuesday with what I have written and add in there that swimming pools, sun creams etc do all affect the longevity. I gave her a mini solar oil to use twice daily (as I do all my clients) and I feel she is taking the mick out of me. Or at least trying to. She would have been home a week yet only contacted me yesterday, so in all that time could have come in to show me either way. I don't trust what she is saying and will be happy if she does t return!

If she continues to reply with things I will probably just say the same. I think if I am proving to be extremely informed on Shellac and nailcare, she may retreat and feel she won't get anywhere with me. I am very friendly and open with clients, and many of them say this is why they come to me. So I do think she may see this as a weakness and be trying her luck.

Ok so I sent the message, she's since replied that she's had Shellac done before which has lasted. It's not getting through to her that she got a good time out of the shellac. Plus I can't know for certain if they actually lasted longer seeing as she hasn't been in to show me.i have said if you had come in to see me right away I may have been able to see if there were any problems. She says she has dated photos if I would like to see them. How do I explain to her that a photo isn't the same as really evaluating the nail condition and condition of the shellac etc? X

Ok so I sent the message, she's since replied that she's had Shellac done before which has lasted. It's not getting through to her that she got a good time out of the shellac. Plus I can't know for certain if they actually lasted longer seeing as she hasn't been in to show me.i have said if you had come in to see me right away I may have been able to see if there were any problems. She says she has dated photos if I would like to see them. How do I explain to her that a photo isn't the same as really evaluating the nail condition and condition of the shellac etc? X
I know I'm a newbie but what is she expecting from you? Shellac is not a long term solution and some chipping after 9 days of course is not amazing but it is in no way terrible when CND state you get up to 14 days wear. Photos don't mean a thing she couldn't just picked it off because they grew out, maybe explain after 5 days (or whatever guaranty you give) you don't do repairs and so on. You also don't know if she has had shellac or if it was one of the other 100+ gels on the market people refer to as 'shellac' Sounds like she wasn't happy with them growing out, picked them and is trying it on for a freebie to me x

I'd do broken record, keep repeating that it's UP to 14 days if you look after your nails, and a photo isn't as good as you actually seeing them.

I don't think anyone can really use the excuse that they couldn't get hold of you these days. Most of us have trouble getting away from technology now.

Hopefully she will flounce.

I'd say that as you've already replied there is no need for you to see further photos and if she's had shellac lasting longer then you understand that she may prefer to return to that salon instead.

Hi everyone,

So a few weeks ago I did a Shellac application on fingers and toes for a client of mine. A Little background information - she's had other treatments with me before, massages, waxing etc. Never once does she say I've done a good job but yet still comes back to me. Of all my clients she's the only one I dread coming in, she's very judgmental and nosey to put it politely.

So she had her shellac done 3 days prior to a 2 week holiday abroad. I explained meticulously how long to expect of shellac and the difference between it and gel and also all the correct aftercare.

Now today I receive a Facebook message yet usually she always contacts me via the salon phone. I work inside a hairdressers. Her message says this 'she has been trying to get a hold of me (I have had no missed calls, messages, all the girls working here haven't taken a call from her I've checked) after 5 days her nails had grown out. By 9 days some of them had chipped. And by 2 weeks one had come off and they had all lifted.'

She also says she didn't go in the pool for the first 8 days, so in theory by this point she had had them on 11 days.

She doesn't say what she is wanting in the message. However I get the feeling she is wanting to test me and see if she can get either a refund or at least something back. Now I feel she has done well to get the full 2 weeks to say she's on holiday. She also referred to them as gels. I can't be blamed for her fast nail growth. But sense as she has lied about trying to get a hold of me, that this is her way of getting out of being able to send me pictures back when it happened? She has always quibbled over prices with all treatments, only ever comes when there's something on offer. She has also told me numerous times where else she goes or has been for treatments. I feel she's trying her luck here.

I'm just debating on what to reply. I was thinking something along the lines of 'Hi... sorry you haven't been able to get in touch, I've checked my phone but haven't received any messages. Sorry to hear you feel your Shellac didn't last as long as you had hoped but the time you got out of it is standard for being away on holiday. The sun does encourage nail growth and also can warm the Shellac and sometimes mould it a little. Shellac is different to gel, it isn't as hard wearing but this means it is much less damaging. However up to 14 days is normal for Shellac so it seems on this occasion Shellac may not be for you and you may be best sticking with Gel in future. Hope you had a lovely holiday x

Is this ok? I'm not going to reply until Tues as that is when I am back working as I refuse to speak with clients out of working hours. I also don't feel she should get any money back. I did my job correctly. She was happy. Her toes she hasn't mentioned so they must still be fine, this makes me feel it is the general aftercare.

Any thoughts welcome please xx

I think you may be right about her seeing how far she can push you. Do you tell your clients they have to use the Solar Oil at least twice a day, as this is part of the CND™ SHELLAC™ service? If so is she using it?

I had a client in this week, who used to go to another salon, her polish was only lasting 9 days max. So when I asked if she had been applying the Solar Oil as part of the Shellac service, she was surprised as her other nail tech had not informed her of this. I am including a free bottle on their first Shellac service and make sure they book their next appointment before they leave.

I keep a record card for my clients and note any purchases. That way, you will know when they should need another bottle, so it is easier to remind them to purchase another one.

I think you may be right about her seeing how far she can push you. Do you tell your clients they have to use the Solar Oil at least twice a day, as this is part of the CND[emoji769] SHELLAC[emoji769] service? If so is she using it?

I had a client in this week, who used to go to another salon, her polish was only lasting 9 days max. So when I asked if she had been applying the Solar Oil as part of the Shellac service, she was surprised as her other nail tech had not informed her of this. I am including a free bottle on their first Shellac service and make sure they book their next appointment before they leave.

I keep a record card for my clients and note any purchases. That way, you will know when they should need another bottle, so it is easier to remind them to purchase another one.

Hey, yes I also give clients a mini solar oil and advised her twice a day. So that was covered [emoji5]️ I feel she was hoping I would cave and offer her something like a refund or discount

So she eventually stopped messaging (thank god) I said a photo isn't enough. If there had been a problem in the first few days I would have repaired. as I did them back on 20th October and she has been home over a week, there was nothing I would do. Haven't heard since. So I'm hoping she has decided to give it a rest. If she doesn't come back it's a win win lol! Didn't like her attitude in the salon and she has been to many salons in the area as she's mentioned previously, so there has to be a reason for that. The owner of the salon I work, initially said 'oh I'd just cut my losses and give her money back' that was never an option for me. I'm earning a living here and every penny counts. So these chancers aren't ever gonna make me back down. Thanks for all of your advice xx

Latest posts

Back