Client finishing radiation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchanting Beauty

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a client who is having her last radiation treatment next week & she has messaged me to say she is bald, no eyebrows or eyelashes & wondered if I had any ideas on what she can do. I’ve never had to treat anyone who is experiencing this so I’m a bit unsure if there is anything I can do to help her as i only really do tinting & the Cluster (flare) lashes, or if there is anything I can recommend to her, treatments, products etc.
Fingers crossed I will be doing a gel manicure for her at the end of the month which i’m sure will make her feel much better but would really love to help her out with the hair situation too if I can so any ideas would be great please.

Oncology training is really to prompt you to adjust treatments to suit a more fragile and easily tired client and to reassure you about which oils are safe to use.

I’d offer Indian Head massage to support regrowth on her head using a little henna oil or caster oil (if you’re not oncology trained just ask her to check these oils with her oncology nurse) and reflexology to support her through her cancer journey.

For her brows, they will regrow. There are lots of serums available to nourish and stimulate growth. I’d suggest she chooses something natural - good ingredients to look for are castor oil (ricinus communis) and henna oil (Lawsonia Inermis). Ingredients are always listed in Latin. A tiny smidge gently rubbed in at night, in the direction of hair growth is helpful, Do not apply heavily or frequently during the day as the hair follicles also need air.

Show her how to use eye shadow to “pencil in” her brows. Avoid long lasting brow pencils or any wax product that requires a bit of a scrub to remove as the “to and fro” action across the brow reduces hair regrowth

Personally I wouldn’t tint eyebrows with peroxide tint, because it’s harsh on regrowing hair. I would recommend henna as 1) it nourishes and stimulates regrowth and 2) it encapsulates hair and makes a bit more out of a sparse brow.

Lashes - I’d lift these with Yumi as soon as there was about 50% regrowth. I wouldn’t use LVL or any other brand as I’d be anxious they’d be a bit harsh. Again I’d recommend she use a lash serum - maybe her oncology nurse has some suggestions about products.

Kindness goes a long, long way.

Oncology training is really to prompt you to adjust treatments to suit a more fragile and easily tired client and to reassure you about which oils are safe to use.

I’d offer Indian Head massage to support regrowth on her head using a little henna oil or caster oil (if you’re not oncology trained just ask her to check these oils with her oncology nurse) and reflexology to support her through her cancer journey.

For her brows, they will regrow. There are lots of serums available to nourish and stimulate growth. I’d suggest she chooses something natural - good ingredients to look for are castor oil (ricinus communis) and henna oil (Lawsonia Inermis). Ingredients are always listed in Latin. A tiny smidge gently rubbed in at night, in the direction of hair growth is helpful, Do not apply heavily or frequently during the day as the hair follicles also need air.

Show her how to use eye shadow to “pencil in” her brows. Avoid long lasting brow pencils or any wax product that requires a bit of a scrub to remove as the “to and fro” action across the brow reduces hair regrowth

Personally I wouldn’t tint eyebrows with peroxide tint, because it’s harsh on regrowing hair. I would recommend henna as 1) it nourishes and stimulates regrowth and 2) it encapsulates hair and makes a bit more out of a sparse brow.

Lashes - I’d lift these with Yumi as soon as there was about 50% regrowth. I wouldn’t use LVL or any other brand as I’d be anxious they’d be a bit harsh. Again I’d recommend she use a lash serum - maybe her oncology nurse has some suggestions about products.

Kindness goes a long, long way.
Thankyou TheDuchess.
I did think about serums & oils as I know her eyebrows & lashes will grew back eventually, good to know about the henna oil though as didn’t know about that, just castor oil. Didn’t want to treat her with my normal Tint kit so will recommend henna to her, I suppose I do need to be trained in henna though don’t I if I only do peroxide tints?

Oncology training would be a good idea as I haven’t actually had to treat any cancer patients before this so it would be nice to add another string to my bow I think. Can you recommend anywhere please?

Jennifer Young does oncology training for facials and mani/pedi as well as massage. Many hospices will train you for free if you volunteer for them.

You do need to be henna trained as it’s different theory and application methods and also check your insurance. My insurer got very iffy about henna a few years ago although seems to have calmed down since.

I can support the excellent training provided by Jennifer Young as I did the course "Control of cross infection in a post covid-19 world " provided by her via my insurers and it had excellent content. I was very well prepared for re-opening.
She is a recognised expert in oncology touch therapies and educates therapists on a global scale.
Good luck to you.

I can support the excellent training provided by Jennifer Young as I did the course "Control of cross infection in a post covid-19 world " provided by her via my insurers and it had excellent content. I was very well prepared for re-opening.
She is a recognised expert in oncology touch therapies and educates therapists on a global scale.
Good luck to you.
Hello RosieR,
A great thread with contributions from you and The Duchess ..I always learn something extra whenever either of you post, I’m very grateful for the time you both put in and your generous sharing of knowledge.
Slightly off subject… Can I ask who you’re insured with please? I want to change this year as my long time insurer has changed their underwriter and they don’t seem to match my needs now so I’m starting to hunt around for the right fit.
Many thanks xx

Hello RosieR,
A great thread with contributions from you and The Duchess ..I always learn something extra whenever either of you post, I’m very grateful for the time you both put in and your generous sharing of knowledge.
Slightly off subject… Can I ask who you’re insured with please? I want to change this year as my long time insurer has changed their underwriter and they don’t seem to match my needs now so I’m starting to hunt around for the right fit.
Many thanks xx

Hi ajane,

Thankyou for your courteous post. I am insured with The FHT whose underwriters are Hiscox. They totally fit my needs and are very helpful in my experience.
Best of luck.

Many thanks 🙏🤗

Hiscox is a great insurer. I’m a chartered insurance professional (although I’m no longer insured to give advice) and I have read many beauty insurance policies. I have a salon and spend over a £1k every year on insurance so I have an Independent broker to search around for me every year. This year I moved my insurance to Hiscox and I was really impressed with the small print.

I’ve had dealings with Hiscox over several decades and they were always a quality company to deal with. I feel I’m in safe hands.

Jennifer Young does oncology training for facials and mani/pedi as well as massage. Many hospices will train you for free if you volunteer for them.

You do need to be henna trained as it’s different theory and application methods and also check your insurance. My insurer got very iffy about henna a few years ago although seems to have calmed down since.
Thankyou for your help. Sorry for the delay. I’ll definitely look into it!

Good luck to you.
Thankyou for your help, sorry for the delay. Sounds good & will definitely look into it!

Latest posts

Back