Client fraud, did her hair-hasn't paid-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lottielove

Reaction score
Hello Sg
So I became a victim of a scam today. I took a booking to travel to hartfordshire to do a full head of highlights, toner, treatment and cut and blowdry as well as petrol money which should all came to just over £100. The lady husband goes out to get the cash, and comes back with an excuse the card got swallowed up and that he would do a bank transfer, I said I can't do that as it's my policy to have cash payment only. He said he can borrow of his mum but she is in Watford and it will be a couple of hours, I told them im busy now and I can't come back as it's a 45 min journey there and back. I asked if there's any other way of getting the money, she said ill ask my mum, she phoned her and said she has it which looked promising. So I told them ill wait whilst she gets it,next I have the husband say you need to come back in a few hours as it's a 40 min trip to her mum's there and back, I said I'll come to the mums house, " oh she won't like that, we'll ill wait in the car, still wasn't having it, then his mate then comes over from no where and the husband ask if he can borrow from him, to which is mate gets out cash counts it and say "oh actually I can't I need to pay something" he's mate and the husband at this point in my face saying if he's says he will pay you he will, which I felt so threatened I told them I would send my details over and I had to leave... 1. Why wouldn't you have cash ready knowing the price of the service, 2. To many excuses I gave them options to go with them to get the cash, and why couldn't he go into the bank to retrieve the card or have online banking as such? I know for sure I'm not going to see that money. I'm deeply upset I don't think there's anything I can do? how do I avoid this in future? asking payment to all client who are new up front? really appreciate the help x

[Edited to remove ethnic reference]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really sorry for you LottieLove. This happens often in many places. we should be cautious about our clients. Some may look promising, but we cannot trust everyone. There is only one way to solve this kind of problems. Inform the price before service and tell your clients that you'll accept only ready cash. If your clients have cash, they'll confidently accept your service. If they are trying to fool you, then you can find it through their reactions. I have tried this technique and my clients didn't feel bad about this till now. They are all happy customers here.

Send them an invoice and ask for payment within 7 days.

When they couldn't pay cash, why didn't you agree to a bank transfer?

On your invoice you could put a bit of small print at the bottom that says debts will be put in the hands of [insert name of your local debt collecting agent] in the event of non payment.

Worked for me once with a tricky person!

Send them an invoice and ask for payment within 7 days.

When they couldn't pay cash, why didn't you agree to a bank transfer?

I did agree in the end as that was my last option, I sent my detail via text and they replied with ok, I haven't still received funds, I text to ask about my payment as they promise it to be in my bank in 2 hours, I asked if it has been paid, I get no reply , and again I do the same still now reply...I can safely say I won't be seeing any payment. due to all the excuses I highly doubt it. my last option will always be bank transfer.

Sometimes a bank transfer can take longer than a day to go through especially if it's a new transfer.

I have lots of clients that pay by bank transfer (which I love) and if they make the payment on the day of treatment it only shows in my account the next day.
If they use the same bank as me then it arrives same day.

Sometimes a bank transfer can take longer than a day to go through especially if it's a new transfer.

I have lots of clients that pay by bank transfer (which I love) and if they make the payment on the day of treatment it only shows in my account the next day.
If they use the same bank as me then it arrives same day.

I'm having no reply from texting confirming bank transfer, plus I pay extra on my account to have payments with in min to my account. I highly unlikely think I'll get that payment.

[edited to remove ethnic reference]

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt you'll see that money. I'm really sorry. Some people have no morals.

I think you need to write it off and use it as a lesson learned - no bookings over a certain distance/price without a deposit first.

Do you do many high value services?
If so, perhaps look at a way to take booking fees by phone ?
There are lots of threads on SG about the different brands of card machines.

I doubt you'll see that money. I'm really sorry. Some people have no morals.

I think you need to write it off and use it as a lesson learned - no bookings over a
certain distance/price without a deposit first.
I know I think it's upset me more that it so close to Christmas, and I really need the money and I feel someone got all that hair service for free and mugged me off. It's a lesson learned is how I'm looking at it, I going to start taking deposits over a certain amount plus not travelling out far ever again I'm going to keep it to a 5 mile radius.

Do you do many high value services?
If so, perhaps look at a way to take booking fees by phone ?
There are lots of threads on SG about the different brands of card machines.

Yeah I do a lot of colour, im thinking of the paypal way where you only need an email address for bank transfers. I will have to get new client to either pay a deposit or pay up front before service. I need to protect my business at the end of the day, so if they want my service through recommendation then they shouldn't query my policy.

No way don't let it go! That's how that probably scam lots of people! I've had this before and you have 2 things to your advantage. You have the clients name and her address. I would send an invoice ( recorded delivery) with a strongly worded letter that unless payment is received in 7 days she will be getting a small claims court order. Often just the threat makes them pay up if not then u can apply online ( moneyclaims website) it costs u £30 up front but that is added to their bill. Also keep any correspondence i.e. Texts etc. If u have any evidence they have said they will pay or have acknowledged they need to pay at some point then that will help. Keep ALL messages etc. Good luck!

I had a girl scam me out of money over 10 years ago, saw her photo in the sun newspaper last year and found her on Facebook reminding her of her debt and now she's 'employed' ( selling a sex tape of wiz kallifa!) it would be nice to get payment... she paid up!! After 10 years! Sweet justice...[emoji38][emoji38]

There is not much you can do. I have had this happen 3x in 20 years so it isn't often thankfully! You can post her name & # publicly on local forums as a scammer but really there is not much you can do.

I would definitely invest in a card machine. Even if you have to pay a fee it's worth it. Once you leave the client it's so hard getting the money out of them even if they are genuine. I say card or cash only. Can you not report this to your local police station as you have their address, proof of texts etc. Even if nothing is done you have reported it and then could pursue with small claims court etc down the line. Don't let it go otherwise they will continue to scam! Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back