Client had powder gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little_Doll

Reaction score
Hi geeks just a quick question really I had a lady in today who said she had gel on I asked which system it was and she described one that I have never heard of she said it was a powder gel?? They mixed the powder with a liquid I said it sounds like acrylic but she was adamant it was a powder gel, what was it?

Thanks!

It could of been acrygel but it's powder into gel I must admit I wasnt impressed when I tried it though

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I've had NSS clients come to me with exactly the same tale. Basically she has had L&P but the salon has sold it to her as gel. If the application process involves using a liquid and a powder, it's L&P, to my knowledge there is no such thing as a "powder gel". Imagine if Tesco tried to sell you a liquid detergent for your washing machine but said it's a powder liquid and tried to charge you extra for the fact they're selling you a liquid!! :D

I've had NSS clients come to me with exactly the same tale. Basically she has had L&P but the salon has sold it to her as gel. If the application process involves using a liquid and a powder, it's L&P, to my knowledge there is no such thing as a "powder gel". Imagine if Tesco tried to sell you a liquid detergent for your washing machine but said it's a powder liquid and tried to charge you extra for the fact they're selling you a liquid!! :D

Same here the only time I have come across this is when someone has been to an NSS salon!

Thanks for the replys :)
I actually can't believe why people would sell thing as one and do another oh well ha!

It was £10 more expensive than acrylic she said too! X

The local NSS does that here too. It's called gel, is more expensive but it's L&P with a gel top coat.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

My local NSS charge more for "gel" and even more for "fibreglass". Both are applied by dipping a liquid into a powder!! Clients just don't know and pay the extra because they think they are getting something different.

Ask your client next time how many times she put her hand into the lamp during the service. I bet it was just once at the end. As Salj said, its probably just a gel topcoat.

My local NSS also have a homemade looking long (about 1.5M) thin desk against the wall with a huge hood over it. A blue light shines down from the hood. When I walk past I sometimes see people with their hands under the hood???? This is too big to be any kind of nail curing UV light, surely its just a blue light and people are told to sit under it for long enough to let normal polish dry? I assume their clients think its some kind of magic light :rolleyes:

I've experienced this myself in a nns salon except I was the client. I was too lazy to do my nails and I wanted pampered. I asked for gel nails, they told me the price which was double the acrylic price. He proceeded to put tips on me, then brought out the "gel" which was acrylic. I said that's not gel, he said its a new gel. I told him, if you think you are gonna put acrylic on my nails and then a gel topcoat over it and charge me 2x the price, you got another thing coming because I do nails to! I walked out!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

I've experienced this myself in a nns salon except I was the client. I was too lazy to do my nails and I wanted pampered. I asked for gel nails, they told me the price which was double the acrylic price. He proceeded to put tips on me, then brought out the "gel" which was acrylic. I said that's not gel, he said its a new gel. I told him, if you think you are gonna put acrylic on my nails and then a gel topcoat over it and charge me 2x the price, you got another thing coming because I do nails to! I walked out!

You went to NSS salon to get pampered? Ouch.

I've been stung by this before too. Had been having gel for ages then wanted to try someone closer to home. This lady was in a Hairdressers, and she had the dipping powder and was charging gel prices for it. I am only just starting out in my career and have been going around getting price lists from everyone for when i am ready to set my prices and she is still using the same product.

It doesn't even look anything like gel once it is finished, has the same look as acrylic so I can;t believe anyone falls for it.

The manufacturers who sell the powder gel describes them to the discounts stores as 'powder gel'.

It is not always that the discount salons deliberately mislead their clients. Sometimes, they are misled themselves and ignorant to it because of their lack of English and theory knowledge.

If CND tells you that it is a Power Polish in the bottle, then you would sell that service as a Power Polish service recommended by CND who're the manufacturers, you wouldn't sell the service as a gel polish because you would follow the manufactuer's description.

I honestly don't know how they get away with it! X

The manufacturers who sell the powder gel describes them to the discounts stores as 'powder gel'.

It is not always that the discount salons deliberately mislead their clients. Sometimes, they are misled themselves and ignorant to it because of their lack of English and theory knowledge.

Whenever this subject is discussed on here someone always says what you have said or that the discount salons (due to language differences) call something we don't "gel".

The fact is that all the NSS around me use their normal product i.e. L&P and put a gel topcoat on (maybe uv cured or not) and tell their clients it is gel. It is a deliberate way of misleading clients.

I honestly don't know how they get away with it! X

They simply get away with it because people still keep giving them money to perform service - right or wrong they are kept alive by consumers who are happy to go somewhere cheap and sit through the service

As you have found they eventually find a professional and realize that a proper service demands a proper price and now through your education she has learnt better...

Without 'cheap' services many ladies would never become enhancement wearers... So in my opinion you can actually thank these businesses for growing yours...

Whenever this subject is discussed on here someone always says what you have said or that the discount salons (due to language differences) call something we don't "gel".

The fact is that all the NSS around me use their normal product i.e. L&P and put a gel topcoat on (maybe uv cured or not) and tell their clients it is gel. It is a deliberate way of misleading clients.

What if they were not taught what L+P is..?
What if they were not taught what gel is..?
What if they were taught that putting gel over L+P is then called 'gel' and they should charge more for it..?
If they were not taught then how would they know..?
Does that still make them deliberately out to mislead clients..?
Or just ignorant and mis informed...?
Why do we always speak of these salons thinking that they all know what we know...?

What I am saying is, that yes, there are people out there who deliberately mislead clients for their own advantage, but sometimes, it is not always the case. They could be just uneducated and ignorant.

The are many many salons that I have come across - and NOT just NSS - that advertise Shellac but clearly not using it as a full system and sometimes not even using Shellac..!!

Why then, are we always targetting this particular group of people and saying they are bad people because they are deliberately misleading their clients..? Are we 100% sure that they are...? Or is it something that we just assume..? Are we just assuming because we are just seeing everything on the surface and have no real knowledge of what is really happening in their very enclosed community..?

Every thread on here about the NSS is always OUR opinion - what WE think of them, why WE think they do such thing, how WE think theyshould be better.

This is all assuming - We ASSUME that they all use MMA, we ASSUME that they don't care about their clients and their health, we ASSUME that they do not want to learn, we ASSUME that they are bad people with horrific business practice.

We complain and we moan about what they are doing, but have no real insight about who they are, their enclosed community as a whole, why they do things a certain way, why they do not seek help and education. No one has ever spent any time in trying to really understand what is going on.

Instead, we just sit and we bitch.

The lack of education is clearly the problem here, and we, as 'proper' nail professionals shouldn't jump into conclusions. How are they going to want to learn from us if we are constantly putting them down..? What makes you think they will put down their pride and go seeking help if we look down on them so much.....? If they are afraid to ask for help, then how is this situation ever going to get better...?

The bottom line is, we do not have regulations in the UK to prevent them from working so It means they are not going to go away whether you like it or not. so if they are not going to go away, then we should look into ways of welcoming them into our industry to learn, improve and better themselves.

Only this way, we will be finally helping our industry in moving forward.
Please geeks, give them a chance.

Last edited:
You went to NSS salon to get pampered? Ouch.

I have a spray tan client who did the CND course years ago and actually goes to a local NSS because she cant be bothered to spend time at a reputable nail tech. She spends 45 minutes for nail extensions ( I darent ask what they are) instead of 3 hours the last time she went to a non-NSS tech. In all fairness though her nails look fab but when I asked she says they are "dead" from 3/4 way down. Probably really flaky and thin

How can someone who was educated correctly still choose to do this regularly !

What if they were not taught what L+P is..?
What if they were not taught what gel is..?
What if they were taught that putting gel over L+P is then called 'gel' and they should charge more for it..?
If they were not taught then how would they know..?
Does that still make them deliberately out to mislead clients..?
Or just ignorant and mis informed...?
Why do we always speak of these salons thinking that they all know what we know...?

What I am saying is, that yes, there are people out there who deliberately mislead clients for their own advantage, but sometimes, it is not always the case. They could be just uneducated and ignorant.

The are many many salons that I have come across - and NOT just NSS - that advertise Shellac but clearly not using it as a full system and sometimes not even using Shellac..!!

Why then, are we always targetting this particular group of people and saying they are bad people because they are deliberately misleading their clients..? Are we 100% sure that they are...? Or is it something that we just assume..? Are we just assuming because we are just seeing everything on the surface and have no real knowledge of what is really happening in their very enclosed community..?

Every thread on here about the NSS is always OUR opinion - what WE think of them, why WE think they do such thing, how WE think theyshould be better.

This is all assuming - We ASSUME that they all use MMA, we ASSUME that they don't care about their clients and their health, we ASSUME that they do not want to learn, we ASSUME that they are bad people with horrific business practice.

We complain and we moan about what they are doing, but have no real insight about who they are, their enclosed community as a whole, why they do things a certain way, why they do not seek help and education. No one has ever spent any time in trying to really understand what is going on.

Instead, we just sit and we bitch.

The lack of education is clearly the problem here, and we, as 'proper' nail professionals shouldn't jump into conclusions. How are they going to want to learn from us if we are constantly putting them down..? What makes you think they will put down their pride and go seeking help if we look down on them so much.....? If they are afraid to ask for help, then how is this situation ever going to get better...?

The bottom line is, we do not have regulations in the UK to prevent them from working so It means they are not going to go away whether you like it or not. so if they are not going to go away, then we should look into ways of welcoming them into our industry to learn, improve and better themselves.

Only this way, we will be finally helping our industry in moving forward.
Please geeks, give them a chance.

I read a thread on here not so long ago written by a person from an NSS who was doing nail training here and knew the way things were being done in the nss was wrong and wanted to learn the correct way and use better products, he stated how the rest of the NSS were laughing at him and thought he was silly for buying his own products and for taking so much longer to do a set than they did and lots more.

I looked quickly for the thread, but couldn't find it - maybe when I have more time I'll find it & come back and add a link or possibly another geek read the same thread and knows what one I mean can add the link.

It was a very interesting read and would answer a few of the questions you have asked in your post.

I have a spray tan client who did the CND course years ago and actually goes to a local NSS because she cant be bothered to spend time at a reputable nail tech. She spends 45 minutes for nail extensions ( I darent ask what they are) instead of 3 hours the last time she went to a non-NSS tech. In all fairness though her nails look fab but when I asked she says they are "dead" from 3/4 way down. Probably really flaky and thin

How can someone who was educated correctly still choose to do this regularly !

And there is nothing in between 45 min by NSS and 3 hours by slow nail tech? Amazing, most of nail techs I know make nails under 1,5 hour, including a little bit of nail art. So I guess for her it is rather price issue, not a time issue. Whatever suits her ;).

What system to they use in a NSS salon?

I've been stung by this before too. Had been having gel for ages then wanted to try someone closer to home. This lady was in a Hairdressers, and she had the dipping powder and was charging gel prices for it. I am only just starting out in my career and have been going around getting price lists from everyone for when i am ready to set my prices and she is still using the same product.

It doesn't even look anything like gel once it is finished, has the same look as acrylic so I can;t believe anyone falls for it.

That's what I couldn't I understand how it looked like acrylic. I suppose clients can only believe what they are been told. Even though we know the deference between gel and acrylic no matter what we say to them they think they know best about gel or acrylic! She was adamant it was gel but it defiantly wasn't it was acrylic there was no telling.

Latest posts

Back