Client hair extension problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tawnsta

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I fitted some micro rings on a client with very long hair looking for thickness, she's a regular client at the salon i've just started chair rental at but i've not met her prior to my consultation/ fitting service.
She popped in on friday for a blow dry with the salon owner while i was out of the salon with about 15 strands of hair that she said has fell out, with a further 10 ish at home and has asked me to refit them - naturally i was mortified that she'd lost so many in such a short time.
Salon owner said a fair few strands were half way down the clients own hair but very secure, and in her opinion looked like she'd been very rough with them (she asked the client if she'd been really ragging her brush through - client denied saying she wasn't brushing them at all- but arrived in salon with a high, tight pony tail)
Salon owner said she didn't seem annoyed or placing blame but me advised to offer her a free refit and go over the aftercare advice again (i provided her with an aftercare sheet at fitting)
on inspection of the loose strands, all still have the beads attached, and shockingly every single strand has her own hair attached, plucked from the root! eep!
With only seeing the strands and not the client until tomorrow morning, i'm fairly certain this is an aftercare problem, but i'm firstly wanting to get some reassurance from you guys, and ask if this could be a fitting problem at all - (my sections were secure, clean and plenty of hair for the weight - 1g)and also ask how you would approach the client?
i'm a bit of a worry wart, but i'm convinced its an aftercare issue so i want to make that clear to her, while making sure to go over the aftercare to prevent it happening to her again, i'm so worried about her poor head being sore, every strand looks like its been ripped out, but salon owner said theres no tension spots or tenderness.
My main worry is that she'll argue that its a fitting issue, how would i approach this politely but firmly should this occur?
i'm sure she will be fine, but i don't want to be unprepared
Thanks in advance

The before and after is the cleint in question - 125 strands, and the red is an example of my sectioning (i didn't get a sectioning picture of client in question)

Attachments

• 1396293431806.jpg
    1396293431806.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 1396293446888.jpg
    1396293446888.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 295
I don't know if it's the way the picture has been took but the before picture the clients looks like she has a lot of breakage in her hair ? Maybe her hair can't take the weight if the extensions ? Xx

When you day pulled at the root, do you mean breakages or can you see the hair follicle x

I agree with Molly I think the hair looks really broken. Also did you use stick tips or microloops I feel that stick tips hold ALOT better! Why don't you purchase a tangle teaser or two and show her how much better that is to brush the hair with and hopefully she will consider buying it. You don't need to be blunt with your client by saying you think that it's maybe her fault but maybe try and make suggestions on how her after case could be improved by showing her the differences between two methods. Thing is you can tell a client all day about after care but some just don't chose to listen. Also if her hair is quite fine microloops might not have been the best method of extentions maybe keratin bonds would have been better.

Sorry about the book lol!!!

A high pony tail would result in pulling at the hair underneath the micro ring which at 2 weeks is close and not much room for hair to be warn that way.

I would ask the client to go through what she does daily since fitting with her hair, what she is using on her hair, get her to demonstrate how she is brushing the hair, ask her how often she has been wearing it up, again ask her what tools she is using to out her hair in a high pony tail, get her to demonstrate.

Then refit them for free, move up the ones that have slipped, advise her that she is to wear a low pony as extensions aren't designed to be worn that high and start to spend more time on going through aftercare with your clients, giving a sheet isn't enough, you would be surprised how many people do not read them! Wash her hair at salon, demonstrate how to wash, how to blow dry, brush etc.

Then send her on her jolly way!

Are you sure the hair attached still attached to the ring is not just normal shedding (which of course has nowhere else to go when the hair is in)?.

Her natural hair is very thin at the ends which normally says to me that shes a heavy shedder?

Thanks guys. Her hair was very broken at the ends from excessive colour build up but strong at the top and normal to thick hair. There's actual follicle attached to the stick tip and in my opinion too much to be from heavy shedding. I went through the aftercare with her at fitting but I knew at the time she wasn't listening. Shes hopefully coming in today so I will go through everything with her so she knows I want to find out the problem and work out a solution.
I might buy a few tangle teasers if I get chance before getting to the salon.
Thanks again for the suggestions xxx

Are you sure there was enough natural hair attached to hold the strand xx

Latest posts

Back