Client I did over the weekend pic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an American, I must disagree.
My African American friends LOVE their nails super long, so long I don't really see how they can groom themselves...but somehow they do. :green:

Anyway, I have NEVER seen nails like Tayviarns, that are so drastically angled downward, and I always look at nails. Always. The look that is popular here among my friends is more along these lines: Nail Art Gallery - Nail Art by Tigressa

I also saw a lot of these nails when I was in Philadelphia a few weeks ago. I tried to get a pink and white fill in a 'sport' length, it was almost impossible. They found my wishes laughable. 'Boring' french and super short. "What is the point??!?!!!!" the client closest to the door asked me. :lol:

I now remember why I dont frequent this board. Some of you are downright rude! I didnt see anywhere that she asked for your opinions about her work. I seriously doubt that every single one of you that said soemthing negative is even qualified to judge her work. JMHO. Good Day.

they are the egle talon tip were very popular for a while here in the states
Sorry I am confused? Is the free edge meant to be hanging over the finger like that???

Sorry V but that was the trend here in the states the were trying to achieve that curve that some people have that looks like a bird hince talon nail
I understand the trend in some parts of the us is to use "Talon" tips.
They are very hooked.

tip_talon.jpg

However..........
These particular ones don't look like they were applied properly, and some of the nails look crooked (especially the pinky which also has a crooked smile-line for the french). I think the tip was applied too far up the nail plate, so that the hook went over the very edge of the finger, and and natural free edge wasn't butted against the 'cut-out'? (can't remember what that part is called, but you know what I mean? the ledge inside the tip?)
I agree about the coverage, there needs to be coverage of the natural free edge.

The art is interesting. If the trend is talons, I would adjust the application of the tips. They aren't quite meant to hook that much.

Please fill out your profile are you a nail tech?
As an American, I must disagree.
My African American friends LOVE their nails super long, so long I don't really see how they can groom themselves...but somehow they do. :green:

Anyway, I have NEVER seen nails like Tayviarns, that are so drastically angled downward, and I always look at nails. Always. The look that is popular here among my friends is more along these lines: Nail Art Gallery - Nail Art by Tigressa

I also saw a lot of these nails when I was in Philadelphia a few weeks ago. I tried to get a pink and white fill in a 'sport' length, it was almost impossible. They found my wishes laughable. 'Boring' french and super short. "What is the point??!?!!!!" the client closest to the door asked me. :lol:

I now remember why I dont frequent this board. Some of you are downright rude! I didnt see anywhere that she asked for your opinions about her work. I seriously doubt that every single one of you that said soemthing negative is even qualified to judge her work. JMHO. Good Day.

If someone doesn't want opinions, then WHY post the pictures?
What's the point???????

As for 'qualifying' to judge, a certificate isn't required to have an opinion on the 'appearance' of something.
Where did you train? I see no mention in your profile of where you trained or what system you are using.

As for people being rude, I honestly don't think anyone intended to be 'rude' per say. They were simply being honest.

If people don't want opinions on their work, then they shouldn't post pictures.
The whole point of it is to learn from each other, from our mistakes and our triumphs.
If all we did was pat people on the head like good little puppies, and never offer constructive critique, then no one's skills would ever improve; thus defeating the purpose of this forum.

Her art was praised several times, only the 'form' was in question.

The fact that she repeatedly ignores the 'training' question, to my mind, is self-explanatory WHICH explains the inconsistent and problematic shapes.
She shows promise and would do well to heed advice.

We don't always like what we hear, but it's usually delivered with the best of intentions.

i do agree that if you poste that you have to accept everyone´s opinion along with it but i do also think that people´s comments could be placed in a more apropriate way. i saw the word repulsive in one of the threads and thought it was a bit too much as well. i bett that the person who posted the pics was prepared for some heavy feedback and that she can handle that but i think that as professionals we can give constructive comments in a less harsh way... she shares the same passion as us and therefore brings us togethere on forums like this.
I think being forward in a polight way couldn´t harm anyone... just my thoughts

I still say if you wanted critique on a techinical level you would probably post in the critique section, if you dont then you might well post it elsewhere. Just as I did earlier this week. If not then why have a critique section or not have a guideline saying all work shown in the forum rather than the galleries should be in the critique section.

JMO :hug::hug:

I would say there us such a thing as sharing a pic, just to share a pic. Maybe it would inspire somebody to try something new. New colors, new shape, new way of doing blingy nails, etc...
if I wanted crituque of nails I did, I would ask for it. I think a nicer way, if you really felt you needed to share your opinions about how they could be different, would be to ask first if the tech wanted some feedback. JMHO.

It's not necessary to be so brutal.
As far as where I trained... i'm in the States, I'm an educator for a well known gel manufacturer.

As far as where I trained... i'm in the States, I'm an educator for a well known gel manufacturer.

well dont be shy tell us which one im not shy to tell what product I use
YOUNG NAILS!!!!

All i can say is here we go again, every once in a while i pop on hoping for what i used to get, a little comaraderie a friendly chat with some other proffessionally minded people who work in the same field as me and some like minded women! What a bunch hey! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

For anyone in the world who doesn't conform to the crowd beware! :eek:

I'm sorry if anybody thought I was trying to start anything. I'm really not. I was just so dissapointed to see how abrasive some of the criticisim was. I see nails all the time that arent so great coming from other techs, and even other educators at shows. Unless somebody asks, its not my place to say what I think. Should I find myself in a situation where I have to critique, I try and be as nice as I can. Everybody has to start somewhere. As far as what product I use, I dont find that to be relevant to this thread.

Last edited:
All i can say is here we go again, every once in a while i pop on hoping for what i used to get, a little comaraderie a friendly chat with some other proffessionally minded people who work in the same field as me and some like minded women! What a bunch hey! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

For anyone in the world who doesn't conform to the crowd beware! :eek:
Perhaps you should 'pop on' more often!

Is it so wrong to not like some of the enhancement pictures that are posted?

I'm sorry if anybody thought I was trying to start anything. I'm really not. I was just so dissapointed to see how abrasive some of the criticisim was. I see nails all the time that arent so great coming from other techs, and even other educators at shows. Unless somebody asks, its not my place to say what I think. Should I find myself in a situation where I have to critique, I try and be as nice as I can. Everybody has to start somewhere. As far as what product I use, I dont find that to be relevant to this thread.
I don't think that there has been any particularly abrasive criticism going on. More a difference of opinion and lack of understanding re style/length/design etc.

When someone posts pics of enhancements they've done would it be better if everyone replied with comments such as "those are beautiful" or "gorgeous nails" when they don't really mean it?

Would it not be better if technicians gave their honest opinions, offered their advice and asked why the enhancements were 'different' to what is commonly known as aesthetically pleasing to the eye, thin and balanced enhancements?

Why should we be expected to like thick enhancements that are quite obviously not the norm and applied in a way that isn't considered to be particularly pleasing to the eye?

Just my 10 cents worth :confused:

Why doesn't the initial poster answer any questions? That's what annoys us other geeks the most. Just answer other's peoples questions.

Geeks on this forum need to realise we are being nice, should see some of the forum's my other half goes on. Men tell each other exactly what they think!

Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

i do agree that if you poste that you have to accept everyone´s opinion along with it but i do also think that people´s comments could be placed in a more apropriate way. i saw the word repulsive in one of the threads and thought it was a bit too much as well. i bett that the person who posted the pics was prepared for some heavy feedback and that she can handle that but i think that as professionals we can give constructive comments in a less harsh way... she shares the same passion as us and therefore brings us togethere on forums like this.
I think being forward in a polight way couldn´t harm anyone... just my thoughts

I agree with Meike..
There is certainly no need to be rude !!
The word repulsive was just too much!!:hug:

I've been reading this thread as it goes, and to be honest I dont know why everyone is argueing over this...

I didn't like the pictures of the nails either, I thought they were inpractical, unbalanced and unattractive, but thats besides the point.

I only just managed to get some pics of my work on this website, and I feel honoured that all these professional nail techs take the time out of their days to give their advice to me. If I wasnt interested in advice, I wouldnt read the replies. But do you not agree that it is interesting hearing everyones opinions, whether we all agree or not, we have an awesome opportunity to share our minds and learn as much as we can off this site and eachother.

I would say there us such a thing as sharing a pic, just to share a pic. Maybe it would inspire somebody to try something new. New colors, new shape, new way of doing blingy nails, etc...
if I wanted crituque of nails I did, I would ask for it. I think a nicer way, if you really felt you needed to share your opinions about how they could be different, would be to ask first if the tech wanted some feedback. JMHO.

It's not necessary to be so brutal.
I think it is generally assumed that when pics are put on the main forum they will be critiqued. If you want to just display photos you can do it in an album on your profile page where they aren't so much "up for discussion".
Personally I love the colour, but I really don't understand the shape.

Want to learn how to better your skills (professional advice)= critique
Want an opinion (personal opinion) = post in a thread
Want nothing but to show your work = your album

Simple really

I love the color and the art work on her, but the shape is somewhat odd. You need to try and "hike up" your smile line. :)

Looks like you used clear tips, but started the color lower on the extension. I'm from the South, and those are very popular here. Plus, lots of women here wear they're nails longer with more art like the one you showed. I don't like the curvature in the nail, however. Aside from that, I like.

Latest posts

Back