Client in hospital after semi perm lashes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry.M

Reaction score
Hi geeks i have been doing lashes for 6 months now and love them. Ive had no problems but a clients mum ( who i did yesterday) has just phoned and said she had spent the night in AnE with her daughter as she had a bad reaction.
Whilst i was doing the set the client said they felt irritated so we stopped and had a break her eyes where quite red which i said would be due to the glue fumes i asked if she would like to carry on or stop and she said they were fine after the break.
The clients mum told me she was unhappy because the doctors told her i should have performed skin tests but I was not trained to do this at marvel lash.
She asked for compensation as her daughter now has to take time off work. I told her to get her daughter to come and see me and i would give her a refund
Have i done anything wrong here? Do you guys do patch tests? And would you have stopped when clients eyes go red??
Appriciate any replies x

Hiya, what a nightmare! how did the hospital treat her?? I never patch test! I ask my clients if they have sensitive eyes, as I have 2 types of glue, one for sensative eyes and a normaly fumey glue!

I feel dreadful for u. But I have to say patch testing is a must. I'm not sure if your insurance is actually valid if you haven't patch tested.

Unfortunately we live in a world now where compensation and such is normal and where there's blame... There's a claim.

I would in the first instance contact your insurance and see how they advise to proceed xx

Sorry i can't give you much in the way of advice but in answer to your questions, yes i always patch test and yes i would have stopped if my clients eyes went red and sore. Hope you get it sorted xx

If you had not patch tested her I hope you did a consultation and got her to sign a waiver form saying thy she has not had a patch test and that she accepts full responsibility for the consequences. That's what I do when I have clients who are pushy and say they want a treatment without the patch test. That way it's their fault.

Pick up the phone and call your insurance company before you do ANYTHING else... Some insist on patch tests, some state it depends on the instructions for the product (if the instructions don't state patch test but your insurer does then you might still not be covered!)

Before you talk to your client (or her mum) again you need to speak to your insurer!

You need to contact your insurance company straight away, tell them what has happenend and ask them what you should do.

You should have known your insurance providers requirements about patch tersting before this incident happened so that you would already know the answer anout needing to patch test or not.

It will be up to the insurance company you are with as to if you should or shouldn't have tested prior to fitting the lashes.

As for continuing the treatment - you gave her a break and then asked her what she wanted to do and she chose to continue as she said the irritaion had lessened, I would maybe have advised that she not continue but if the client says the iritaion is fine and wants to continue, I would find it hard to refuse really as you can only go on what they say at the time.

Make the call to your insurance before you speak to anyoneelse about this and then follow their advice.

Only if your insurance company agrees with you... please do make sure you check that with them...

Thanks for the reply girls. I know im worried about a claim being made. I think I'm goig to contact the training academy and ask about the patch testin as i wasnt trained and see what the usual procedure is from here

Hi

Yes a patch test would have been best followed on with a consulation and any previous reactions/ irritaions recorded on record card. I would contact your insurace company to see what they say, i have heard from some people on this site saying that some brands dont tell them to carry out a patch test so also find out what you insurance say about this. I do think the mum is a bit quick off the mark looking for compensation already if its only just happened then she wont know how long she will be off work for and any lasting effects so how can she claim compensation?

Try to keep the communication open between you and the client, these things do happen and people do react to products, the problem you now have is what your insurance company expect you to do? do they expect you to carry out a patch test?

The first port of call should be with your insurance to see their stance on not patch testing and where you will stand with them. If its actually compensation the client wants you may find yourself more out of pocket then a simple refund.
I only trained in temporary cluster lashes but was taught for any treatment of this nature (perming, tinting, lashing etc) to be patch testing routinely as its not worth the potential risk if a client does have an allergy.

This is why we have insurance, I think you should be calling yours asap.

Thanks for the reply girls. I know im worried about a claim being made. I think I'm goig to contact the training academy and ask about the patch testin as i wasnt trained and see what the usual procedure is from here

The usual procedure is to call your insurer... What does the instructions on your materials state? Do they state to patch test or not? Ultimately it doesn't matter what your training taught you if the materials state to patch test and if you insurer states to patch test - it's your responsibility to ensure you comply with the terms of your insurance - not your trainers.

I patch test for semi perms I was taught that if your insurance requires one do one,tbh I didn't even check I just do it anyway,I have heard to many horror stories not to.if people insist on not having one I say well unfortunately I'm unable to carry out the treatment due to insurance reasons they usually give in and I haven't had any trouble yet
Xx

Marvell lash don't teach u this I trained with them then changed to eyelash emporium x

I wasn't told to patch test, as the glue should not be comin into contact with the skin, so how would you patch test?

Hi

Ive had an allergic reaction to myscara before - it was horrid could hardly open my eyes, but in theory myscara doesnt touch your skin, from what I have read by other geeks patch tests are done by adding acouple of outter lashes with the glue - when I train in eyelash extensions one of the things I will be looking for is do they teach about patch testing to the OP I would suggest contacting your insurance asap

x

Have you got insurance? Your first call is not to the person who was training you but to your insurance company! They will tell you how you deal with this.

If you had not patch tested her I hope you did a consultation and got her to sign a waiver form saying thy she has not had a patch test and that she accepts full responsibility for the consequences. That's what I do when I have clients who are pushy and say they want a treatment without the patch test. That way it's their fault.

Got to advise you here - waiver forms are simply not worth the paper they are written on. As a professional, regardless of what the client wishes or instructs, you are accountable for your actions and it is you who should know whether a treatment is safe to do or not. The onus is on the professional to actually NOT treat if there is any cause for concern - don't be fooled into thinking a waiver will cover you - it won't.

To the OP - Take it as a lesson learnt. In future you will know what action to take. It is not up to the client to decide whether or not it is ok to continue. I hope it resolves ok for you.

A patch test takes 2 minutes to do, if clients refuse it they I don't do the eyelashes. If a patch test was given you wouldn't be worrying right now. Op, to do a patch test it's a bit of the glue you use on the wrist and with a cocktail stick coat one eyelash. And I would now patch test everyone from now on even if they have had the eyelashes previously with you, this is to cover yourself if this happens again. If I have sounded rude in anyway, I'm sorry, but I can not believe that others have replied about not patch testing!

This is a really good example of the reason I bang on so much about patch testing. There is nothing to lose if you do a patch test but if a client reacts there is a lot of aggravation to go through. I would certainly have stopped and removed what I had already applied when she was first having difficulties. I know it's hard to do and you will lose the money but it is better than this.

There is nothing you can do now other than inform your insurance company and let them deal with it if this client carries on with her claim. If she is over 16 then you should be dealing with her and not her mother.

By the way a waiver or disclaimer will not stand up in court as you are the professional and it is up to you to advise the client and refuse a treatment when you know that it could be harmful to them if you do not follow all precautions.

You will learn from this my darling and be a much wiser therapist for it. :wink2:

Latest posts

Back