Client is OCD

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairbyAsya

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I have a client (she is the mum of one of my clients who's hair I do) her daughter is OCD about her hair extensions but its its not such a bad thing. She will text me even a year in from her first set of extensions and ask me questions such as can she use dry shampoo, can she was her hair and leave it to dry naturally. I've be through aftercare with her loads of times and given her aftercare advice sheet but she is just cautious which is fine when she is paying me £600 for a set of extensions. She has gotten better tho!

Anyway her mum has wanted extensions for over a year - she had great lengths previously and hated them, anyway she kept asking me to do her hair (noticed she is also OCD! And her daughter said her mum is worse than her!) anyway did the consultation, orders her hair. I ordered her 80g of 0.8g strands in her base and 50g 0.8 in her lowlights. She kept saying she wanted it thick. Her hair is just below shoulders. She is very very happy with her hair. It looks lovely and thick and colour is amazing, she just keeps texting me asking the same questions, her hair feels very tight (this was the next day) I'd spoken to her about the extra weight, how it would feel before fitting, after fitting and have continued to reply to every text she has sent me. I mean the week before her fitting she texted me sometime 6 times a day, everything from do I think the colours going to be ok - I actually went back and did a 2nd comsultation and showed her colours again, in both indoor and outdoor light! To texts like the Pureology products I recommended are amazing. Anyways I micro bonded all the sides as her hair is fine and she works out everyday and will be tying it up so wanted to ensure there was no tension and also nothing shows. She was really happy with that also, I cut the hair extending her own about an additional 4" the back I applied full bonds and a mixture of half bonds on the hairline. Anyway she keeps texting me daily saying its tight - I use the Balmain heat protectors which also have the measurement circles and I know I've left enough of a gap and everything she is feeling is normal. Which I've told her again, and again, and again and again. I've told her she needs to be patient as the extensions have just been fitted and they will start to feel looser in a few days and as they grow down. Them the same day I receive another text saying she thinks one side is thicker, I was going to see her daughter the following day but messaged her back and explained the extensions are applied in rows in a horse shoe sequence and it wasn't possible to be thicker on one said and the bonds are all the same g strands.mimdid check through and reassure her the following day when I was at her house for her daughters appointment.

I talked again through aftercare, then came the text her hair extensions feel like they are sticking up at the back....its never ending. Then I received a text on Friday (I fitted her on Tuesday evening) saying her extensions felt tight and she is worried her hairs going to fall out. I again told her she needs to give them time its only been a few days and I even said she can speak to her daughter and get her daughter to show her her extensions (I'd in the same week done a maineance and applied 75 new strands) and that she could futher reassure her about the tightness she is feeling. She was like ok! I actually didn't hear from her until tonight (she has been texting me at times like 10.30pm) she knows I work late & very hard! Anyway I received anther text message at 10.30pm saying hi hon I know I'm a pain!! My hair really tight and pulling and it by at the back r u sure its ok? I can live with it as long as my hair won't fall out!! I ignored her, will reply tomorrow morning. Received another text 24 minutes after So itchy.

I'm not worried about my application, I've done extensions for 10 years and hundreds of clients and 90% repeats. I just don't know what else to say, I've told her she needs to give it time. I feel like she is hounding me and I'm just repeating myself over and over again, I don't think she is mentioning anything to the daughter as I know she would give her a stern talking to. She did it in front of me when I was last there and she basically told her mum to get over it!

I'm going to be there again later this week to do her daughter hair and will take the time to check her hair again, I have even said that to her last week that I will be seeing her weekly and will keep an eye on her hair and tell her when maintenance is due etc. any advice, tips?

I feel like telling her I don't have the time to micro-manage her and if she a not handle the tightness for the next 2 weeks then I can remove them and refund her. When she had GL she had 250 bonds which was much thicker and longer and while I don't know whether she kept calling the salon! She obviously wore them for the duration and was ok - yes those ruined her hair but that was because she had too many, too long and poor removal.

Thanks

OMG!! What a nightmare client.
Do you have a website? If so (if you haven't already) I would do a very very detailed FAQ/aftercare page. Can I use dry shampoo? Will they still feel tight after day 4 etc.(everything she has asked)
Then next time she texts or you see her just say, I understand you feel concerned & have loads of questions so I have updated my website just for you as I am so so busy I can't keep replying to your questions every day. Please check my website or ask your daughter instead of texting me. I would say this in front of her daughter too.
Then when she texts, leave it a few hours before replying or reply at the end of your working day & just send her the link to your website.
You need to be firm here, this is totally unfair on you x

I think I over pamper my clients (they all say it) I reply to messages if I'm able at anytime or day. I have built my client base on recommendations and I love what I do. I know its part ad parcel with being self employed and mobile its just I keep repeating myself which is no fund, wouldn't mind if its new questions.

I replied back and said the itchy feeling is normal your scalp is adjusting to the weight and binds you just need to preserve. All my clients are repeat business so I promise you your hair won't be falling out. They are going to feel tight not had them in a week yet. Just think your hair grows approx 1/2 a month so its going to take at least 2 weeks to grow down and settle. You need to just let your hair be , if you keep brushing it, touching it your going to be adding extra stress to your scalp. If you survived 250 strands of great lengths then you'll be ok with my extensions!! She replied back with xxx

She admitted she keeps brushing and touching it when I saw her a few days after her fitting and I told her not to but she hasn't listened. I think she is making it worse by brushing all the time and touching it so hopefully she now will take it on board. I have a detailed aftercare sheet, I just know she is the type who will always text me she is a rich house wife with tooooo much time on her hands. She doesn't mean harm she just is OCD!! Dear lord.

I am the same, my clients can text anytime/any day too & I reply when possible.
This client is a nightmare though! I would have to politely ask her not to text as much & to just follow exactly what you have told her, using her daughter as a back-up for questions if needed, good luck! X

I am the same, my clients can text anytime/any day too & I reply when possible.
This client is a nightmare though! I would have to politely ask her not to text as much & to just follow exactly what you have told her, using her daughter as a back-up for questions if needed, good luck! X

Thanks hopefully telling her on that last txt she needs to preserve will stop her from sending me a text for a least a week!

Latest posts

Back