Client keeps biting Gelish off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolla

Reaction score
I am so upset as I get quite passionate about clients caring for their nails. Most of them do as I say and have excellent results.

However, I have one client who I just can't get through to. She's had Gelish about 5 times now and I've never had to do a soak off on her coz she bites/peels them off everytime. Sometimes she does it after a week to two weeks, but she's just text me now to say she bit them all off last night...and I only did them on Thursday. I honestly want to cry.

Not only is it a waste of her money, I feel like Im wasting my time and money and she's ruining her nails more and more each time she does it. She says she's mainly drunk when she does it and there is no chipping or peeling to start with, they are perfect but she somehow prises them off.

She's asked me if I can do them again tomorrow...2 Gelish in 4 days is daft.

I don't know what else I can do/say to stop her doing it!!!? I feel like telling her I won't do it coz she'll just bite them off!!

I've explained and showed her the damage she's doing, and how to look after them inc. Solar Oil but it's just not going in...help!!?!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I am so upset as I get quite passionate about clients caring for their nails. Most of them do as I say and have excellent results.

However, I have one client who I just can't get through to. She's had Gelish about 5 times now and I've never had to do a soak off on her coz she bites/peels them off everytime. Sometimes she does it after a week to two weeks, but she's just text me now to say she bit them all off last night...and I only did them on Thursday. I honestly want to cry.

Not only is it a waste of her money, I feel like Im wasting my time and money and she's ruining her nails more and more each time she does it. She says she's mainly drunk when she does it and there is no chipping or peeling to start with, they are perfect but she somehow prises them off.

She's asked me if I can do them again tomorrow...2 Gelish in 4 days is daft.

I don't know what else I can do/say to stop her doing it!!!? I feel like telling her I won't do it coz she'll just bite them off!!

I've explained and showed her the damage she's doing, and how to look after them inc. Solar Oil but it's just not going in...help!!?!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink! If she doesn't care about the damage she is doing, nothing you can say will help. You have explained and she is aware of what she is doing.

What you have to decide is whether its time to tell her you're not happy to continue with her as a client or if you will keep taking her money while she stupidly wastes it on repeatedly getting her nails done every week. Thats totally up to you and I wouldnt blame you for choosing either really!

Blimey she must be going some to get a fresh set off! It must hurt! I had one client bite hers off and she ended up taking a thick layer of the nail off exposing the nail bed at the side! I couldn't reapply - no way. Maybe explain to her the serious dangers and that if she continues there will come a point you can't put a set on safely!

How about returning her to normal polish for a while more difficult to peel/bite off while her nails recover? There are many many people out there who have habit forming problems that cannot be addressed in a salon environment. We all have the eyelash extension client who plucks lashes out etc etc. I think working with her to reduce the harm she's causing may help however these type of clients will always pick at themselves it's nothing personal to the therapist and not a slur on their work. Good luck, I have a friend who wants HD brows and she pulls her eyebrows out one by one she's almost got no brows left its all psychological unfortunately.

Ask her dentist to remove her teeth. Problem solved. :wink2:

I have a friend who wants HD brows and she pulls her eyebrows out one by one she's almost got no brows left its all psychological unfortunately.

She does that too. She's down to one strand of eyebrow on the outer edges. Her boyfriend says she has a distructive personality!

She also caught her toe nail and instead of trimming it off the pulled it and ripped it right down past her hyponichium and made it bleed. Looks like it's going to go in-grown as it's already digging in.

I wish I was a hypnotherapist as she clearly needs assistance in stopping picking/plucking/peeling/biting etc! I did her a pedi too and she actually said she thought her toe nails needed to be shorter even though she'd cut them right down to the hyponichium. Is that like when skinny people look in the mirror and still say they're fat? :s

Thanks for the advice all. I'm going to see her tomorrow and I'll tell her I can't keep doing it if she bites it off coz there won't be anything left to put product on eventually. Not even acrylics help coz she picks them off too :(

Lololol loving the get her teeth removed!!! If only we could, sooooo funny :)

I used to offer £5 off their rebalance to biters with enhancements, if they returned with all their nails intact after 2 weeks. If they did i acted all surprised and wowed up how well they had done. If you can keep them away from the habit for long enough it may help to crack it. Maybe you could try offering an incentive? Free nails art or something that doesnt cost you too much

I used to offer £5 off their rebalance to biters with enhancements, if they returned with all their nails intact after 2 weeks. If they did i acted all surprised and wowed up how well they had done. If you can keep them away from the habit for long enough it may help to crack it. Maybe you could try offering an incentive? Free nails art or something that doesnt cost you too much

Great idea x

Not sure about the teeth removal...
How about a more humane suggestion of Adult Mitts!

Not sure about the teeth removal...
How about a more humane suggestion of Adult Mitts!

"Adult mits" hahahaha... this has just really made me laugh!! I have a vision of us saying to our clients "now then madam, as you can't behave when it comes to your nails, I would like you to wear these for at least 23 hours a day"!!! I'm being silly, but it's right tickled me!!! :p

Latest posts

Back