Client left with damage from acrylic nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichS

Reaction score
Morning all

Am popping over from skin geek for some advice please!

Yesterday had a client in for a facial and she's just had a set of acrylics removed after 3 months. To say that I was shocked at the state of her nails is an under statement. Appreciate that they will be weaker & bendier but these are damaged on the nail bed. Her thumbs especially were split and the nails about 1/3 left.

Questions 1 is should they really be left in such a damaged state after wearing acrylics for 3 months?

And Question 2 is, apart from using Solar oil, hand cream, candle wax & vitamin supplements is there anything else you'd recommend to help grow out the natural nail?

Thanks guys & gals, not trained in enhancements so all advice appreciated.

Rich

Morning all

Am popping over from skin geek for some advice please!

Yesterday had a client in for a facial and she's just had a set of acrylics removed after 3 months. To say that I was shocked at the state of her nails is an under statement. Appreciate that they will be weaker & bendier but these are damaged on the nail bed. Her thumbs especially were split and the nails about 1/3 left.

Questions 1 is should they really be left in such a damaged state after wearing acrylics for 3 months?

And Question 2 is, apart from using Solar oil, hand cream, candle wax & vitamin supplements is there anything else you'd recommend to help grow out the natural nail?

Thanks guys & gals, not trained in enhancements so all advice appreciated.

Rich
Well it doesn't sound like the person who did the nails was trained in enhancements either! :eek:

I think you KNOW of course that nails should not look like the ones you saw. Acrylics did not damage the client's nails; a bad, poorly-trained person did, probably by using a drill on the nail plate prior to application; this is the way some are TAUGHT to do nails! In any case, it is not the way well-trained professionals are taught to do nails.

What can you do? WAIT. Time is the only thing that will help these nails to grow out. Keep as short and as well groomed as you can at all times until the damage has grown out. This will take time, probably about 3 months.

Use the oils and the creams for conditioning, but only time will cure the damage.

PS. Well maintained enhancements do not cause damage or leave nails bendy or weak .. They leave them temporarily dehydrated which can be improved immediately with Solar Oil. If there is visible damage after enhancements have been removed, then it is down to a bad technician or a bad client picking at product. Usually a bad technician!

Hi! I did start a thread but now deleted it as this one covers most of my question (thanks Geeg!)

I had a new client today who has terribly damaged nails :(
Would it be ok to use gellux on nails which have been damaged by drilling?

image-1.jpg

That is scary! Actually makes my stomach turn! :(

Wow that is seriously bad nails! Do you do any type of enhancements like l&p or gel to keep thestrength and support till this grow out? Gellux can be placed on top of the enhancement!

I have seen allot worse damage than those nails show so don't despair.

Well there are a few good things about these nails.
First you can see all the lovely re-growth and track the growth process .. so don't damage it! ;)
Second she has really nicely shaped nails so they will look good kept as short as they are. I would say, 9 weeks/three appointments will see them grown out.

I wouldn't hesitate to Shellac these nails so I presume that what you are using should at least make them look more attractive. But I personally would not touch the surface other than to remove cuticle and sanitizer/dehydrate, and I would not apply enhancements.

This is a perfect case where using a product that doesn't require you to touch the surface of the nail with a buffer, would be a huge advantage. It's an advantage for every client. If she wants nice strong nails again there is no easy way, she will have to do the growing time, and then you can take it from there.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice :)

Yes it made my tummy turn a bit I have to say.
When I first looked I thought it was product left on the nail so I was a bit shocked when I realised half her nail was missing, poor thing.

They came off about a week ago and she said they've been so painful and cold.
Her new nail growth is really looking lovely so I hope she doesn't give up. She was going back to get more acrylics! But her friend persuaded her to give me a try.
I just wanted to check I wasn't doing worse by her.

Thank you :hug:

Hi! I did start a thread but now deleted it as this one covers most of my question (thanks Geeg!)

I had a new client today who has terribly damaged nails :(
Would it be ok to use gellux on nails which have been damaged by drilling?

image-1.jpg

Can I please use this image as a warning to others ?

Ouch the poor girl, may I borrow the image too please? I'm also running a post on my facebook page with images of what your nails SHOULDN'T look like after enhancements are removed.

Ouch the poor girl, may I borrow the image too please? I'm also running a post on my facebook page with images of what your nails SHOULDN'T look like after enhancements are removed.

Good thinking BatGirl! :)
Great idea

I'll just check with my client but I'm sure it'll be fine :)

Oh my lord!! Poor lady and well said Geeg.
I have also seen nails in worse condition, one lady came in with holes through to nail bed with puss coming out I sent her straight to out of hours....

Latest posts

Back