Client Liked Highlights & Now Says Its Orange?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairdresser18

Reaction score
I have a client that I did half a head of highlights last week for and she said she liked it when I left, now she emails me when she has my number and says that it has turned orange and that its a different colour to her blonde she has on her head? How can it suddenly turn orange? is there something she put on her hair that has done something to her hair? I dont get it, she said she was busy and was going to contact me sooner but dont you think she would ring or text the next day and say that its orange?Not just email after a week? It cant be that bad if she hasnt contacted me sooner. I even put the loreal silver shampoo on her hair afterwards to avoid brassy tones. What did she do?
Can you help?
Thanks

as we all know when i client thinks her hair is orange i would love to actually get an orange and hold it against the hair then say now tell me if your hair is orange lol it might have to her looked more white blonde when she got it done then when shes got home in darker lights shes probably noticed its more of a goldeny blonde which clients can think is orange maybe its too goldeny for her i notice with a friend of mines when i put her blonde meshes in they look really blonde when its done and then i go up when its not been washed for a couple of days and it looks more goldeny blonde

as we all know when i client thinks her hair is orange i would love to actually get an orange and hold it against the hair then say now tell me if your hair is orange lol it might have to her looked more white blonde when she got it done then when shes got home in darker lights shes probably noticed its more of a goldeny blonde which clients can think is orange maybe its too goldeny for her i notice with a friend of mines when i put her blonde meshes in they look really blonde when its done and then i go up when its not been washed for a couple of days and it looks more goldeny blonde
here!here!! so true! Think you need to see it before you can make a decision luvvie

hi thanks guys, i think if there is maybe some orange bits i will bleach those little bits again for like 10 mins as her hair is in fine condition anyway. I was wondering if anything she puts on her hair can alter her colour a little? She also said that the blonde she has in her hair now is deffinitly a different colour to what she previously had, I was wondering like any brand of colour that no colour that you previously had will exactly match, it might be a little lighter or darker if you have a new hairdresser. Does this apply to bleach? I am seeing her at 1pm today what should i do if it is orange? Please help.

hiya if the last hairdrersser has used bleach they might have used a higher peroxide than you with bleach xx

hiya if the last hairdrersser has used bleach they might have used a higher peroxide than you with bleach xx

hi, she said she always asks for 30vol which is what i did use, maybe i ddint leave it on long enough on the roots as i know they develop fast, i have emailed her saying i will come over at 1pm and she hasnt replyed and now i text her and she hasnt replyed either, she said to me before that she complained that another hairdresser didnt do it right so i am thinking maybe she is the type that doesnt want you to see it and complains and just wants her money back? Do you know what I mean? She said her friends have commented on it and she feels self concious but I think this is a load of rubbish! She said she noticed it was orangy and didnt say anything but i text her and asked if the colour was ok and she said it was lovely. You always get someone like this.

Did you use a toner? When you leave the hair with bleach only, you are leaving the cuticle blown wide open, and that makes it open for color chanage by absorbing iron or minerals from water, air pollution etc....products like argan oil ie. moroccanoil have color in them and are known for darkening highlights......
I would simply tone the blonde, charge her the additional product use and let her know that because her hair has a history of brassiness, a toner is a must. It also leaves the hair shiny and polished, with no surprises later.

Did you use a toner? When you leave the hair with bleach only, you are leaving the cuticle blown wide open, and that makes it open for color chanage by absorbing iron or minerals from water, air pollution etc....products like argan oil ie. moroccanoil have color in them and are known for darkening highlights......
I would simply tone the blonde, charge her the additional product use and let her know that because her hair has a history of brassiness, a toner is a must. It also leaves the hair shiny and polished, with no surprises later.

thanks for your reply, so would the colour fresh 0/6 silver work on her hair? should i spot her roots with bleach then put toner on that is a bit brassy?

I am perplexed all this advice about toning. My experience has always been this. If a person says they want blonde highlights that is what I give them. I make up the mix (I use the Wella Blondor Meches currently). On short hair I still use a cap sometimes but on longer or mid length hair I use foil. I always stand over my clients hair and watch the colour as it lifts. I don't take it off until I am happy that the colour looks a good clean blonde. I don't use toners. To be honest on the few occasions I have used a toner (and that was many, many years ago) I found that I just made the highlights look dull and dirty. In my view now if my hightlights don't look bright and clean in their blondness I haven't left it on long enough end of. If I had to use toner I would think I have made a judgement error. I have many blonde highlight clients and most of them go up to 2 months between having them done to no ill effect and no colour change at all.

All this stuff about toning to me is not right. In the case of highlights there so little of the hair actually being coloured it needs to be a good clean lift to brighten the whole hair. In the case of brassiness its just a matter of leaving it on until the brassiness has gone. Its not like its in contact with the skin. It is safe, it won't damage the hair. The damage will happen when you have gone to beyond blond to white and then cotton wool.

Why not just do another set of highlights and try and lift a bit more to brighten it. I think to keep on toning and she will end up looking dull and mucky. I think you have to be brave (and confident). There is a short window of time. Not quite right, then just right - good clean blond at that point get it off quick. That is how I have done highlights for over 20 years and never had a bad set yet, and never used toners. Just a good shampoo and a good after colour treatment or conditioner.

I am perplexed all this advice about toning. My experience has always been this. If a person says they want blonde highlights that is what I give them. I make up the mix (I use the Wella Blondor Meches currently). On short hair I still use a cap sometimes but on longer or mid length hair I use foil. I always stand over my clients hair and watch the colour as it lifts. I don't take it off until I am happy that the colour looks a good clean blonde. I don't use toners. To be honest on the few occasions I have used a toner (and that was many, many years ago) I found that I just made the highlights look dull and dirty. In my view now if my hightlights don't look bright and clean in their blondness I haven't left it on long enough end of. If I had to use toner I would think I have made a judgement error. I have many blonde highlight clients and most of them go up to 2 months between having them done to no ill effect and no colour change at all.

All this stuff about toning to me is not right. In the case of highlights there so little of the hair actually being coloured it needs to be a good clean lift to brighten the whole hair. In the case of brassiness its just a matter of leaving it on until the brassiness has gone. Its not like its in contact with the skin. It is safe, it won't damage the hair. The damage will happen when you have gone to beyond blond to white and then cotton wool.

Why not just do another set of highlights and try and lift a bit more to brighten it. I think to keep on toning and she will end up looking dull and mucky. I think you have to be brave (and confident). There is a short window of time. Not quite right, then just right - good clean blond at that point get it off quick. That is how I have done highlights for over 20 years and never had a bad set yet, and never used toners. Just a good shampoo and a good after colour treatment or conditioner.

i agree i dont like toners for someone whos wanting it really blonde the toner just dulls it thats ok if your doing colour correction but not for someone who wants it really blonde xx

Ditto! I've been hairdressing 20 years and very, very rarely use a toner. I don't use bleach now though either. I use either hi-lift tint with a teaspoon on bleach if extra lift needed or Proclere and Indola do their own version of Magimeche, but cheaper, and better results. As you say it's knowing when to stop the process at the right point, but I think that comes with age, LOL !

If you are getting a darkening effect then your saturation formulation is wrong. A toner is meant to impart a tonal glaze to the hair and close down the shaft. To degrade the hair to a white blonde with bleach alone would leave the hair empty and dead and client unhappy...
You have to make sure you dilute the level of color enough to have the proper saturation of color molecules in the desired tone....ie: toning a level ten or 11 you must dilute by 50 to 75%
I guess it depends on your comfort with color and color techniques, but personally I dontlike to leave hair empty.
Probably depends on your line as well.
Timing of education as well....lol:green:

I'm not sure I would agree with this HS. I wouldn't consider my highlights to be "white blonde". That is when they have gone too far. I would say a lovely fresh blonde. Not gold but yellow I guess - most certainly not white blond. I don't see how a toner can close down the hair any more than a good after colour conditioner. Its all about oxidation after all isn't it?

Lifted up properly with a good hi-lift tint or good quality highlight bleach has got to be the best way to get a true clean lift of colour.

I guess its like the contrast of the colour wheel. If you had a dark royal blue colour and put it next to a pale sky blue colour it would look cleaner and fresher if you used the same tone of blue, just higher up the shade chart.

Likewise hair. If the natural is an example base 7 but a very ashy kind of 7 then the just lifting it will bring it up the same place on the colour wheel, nice ash blond. If you had a warm base 7 and you just lift it you will have a relatively warm blond and on the same place on the colour wheel (If you get my drift). To start toning it with ashes or golds is to start messing around with the tonal values and creating confusion in the colours.

The colour wheel hasn't changed since I trained I'm sure.

I think you misunderstood me. yes,color wheel is color wheel, with no room for opinion, it is just fact.
Not sure how much color correction you do, but I seldom ever work on virgin hair, so highlift is out of the question. It makes toning a vital part of your finished product.
If a client told me her highlights looked brassy, I would be fixing them. To her satisfaction. Empty hair shaft is porous, and can change color.
A toner most certainly oxidizes in the empty space left by dissoliving the prior, filling it in, to have it slowly fade in semi- style. Conditioner is a wash to wash solution.
There are a thousand ways to skin a cat. No worries.

Hi Hairsquared, just interested, what do you mean by diluting the level of colour ? I always tone I mix the colour I use, according to the specific colour I use. Like if I use Wella Colour Touch I mix it 1:2 with 1.9%, should I dilute it more for lighter bases when toning ??? Thank You

I used redken, so I am not sure about your line. In advanced coloring, your semi permanent or toning line should be broken down for you into a numbering system of level, tone and depth ( saturation) Losely explained, this is where your clear or 00 comes in...
In reken for example, toning out a level 10gold requires that you use a violet at a saturation level that is equal to the number of gold molecules. They have to be even. You can water down saturation of a 9v, the lightest level of semi..... with clear to prevent darkening. I add about 1/2 oz clear for each level I am away...Follow directios as to ratio of developer.....then process full semi time.Then you have full tone deposit, but diluted level deposit, resulting in perfect, healthy toned blonde.

ahhh yes I understand I normally use wella koleston or colour touch, but using a level 10 toner in koleston or colour touch never seems to correct. I will now try using the 00 instead, as level 9's do sometimes darken slightly.
thank you xx

well it been just over 2 weeks since she had it done, is there a time limit i should give her due to the colour fading or anything, I have a feeling she will contact me after a month and say can you fix them now when her roots have come through and say she wants it for free, just wanting a free service.What should i say?

tell her it cant have been that bad if she could walk round with it for 6 weeks !! personally i think shes taking the pee , if it was so bad she would have sorted it asap ,
she sounds like a client you dont need hun x

tell her it cant have been that bad if she could walk round with it for 6 weeks !! personally i think shes taking the pee , if it was so bad she would have sorted it asap ,
she sounds like a client you dont need hun x

yea i think if she contacts me in another 2 week which will be a month and that will have her roots start showing i will say i'm sorry and say what u said, i think she is taking the pee aswell, i am 21 so i think she thinks she can get away with it. Its not fair, it lowers my hairdressing confidence when you get a client like that when I know I shouldnt let it.
Thankyou x

Latest posts

Back