Client missing big toe nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moushax37

Reaction score
So I had a potential new client text me yesterday. She wanted a shallc manicure and a pedicure. Only problem being, she doesn't have big toe nails. She said they were removed, I didn't get reason as to why. She asked if I could apply acrylic to her toe, because that is what the nss does. She said they apply a primer to her bare skin and then apply the acrylic, and that it lasts around 3 to 5 days if she is wearing open toed shoes.

is this really something I could offer?? It doesn't seem right at all..... there is no nail whatsoever, she is just wanting acrylic on her nail bed.... er, what should be her nail bed.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SalonGeek

I dont know about Acrylics doing this, but I do this all the time using silk sculptures & Bio Sculpture Gel. It offers rebuilds to clients who have lost there toe nails due to injury etc. (Most of my ladies who've needed this service are due to them using incorrect running shoes & causing damage to there toes accordingly )...

Last edited:
How exactly do you apply a wrap on bare skin? Do you use a tip? There is no nail whatsoever.

Personally I wouldn't want to be applying primer and l&p straight onto her skin due to overexposure risks.

I have a lady who has no nail and occasionally we make one and glue it on, but its only for special occasions. I use a tip cut to shape and sort of sculpt out on it a bit to get the right shape then paint it once its glued on. But as glue won't adhere permanently to skin it does only last a few days or so.

Yeah, I absolutely wouldn't use primer. I use young nails anyway, but still wouldn't want to use the protein bond.....
I was thinking make it very dry and clean with scrubfresh and apply, but it still seems odd

Personally I wouldn't want to be applying primer and l&p straight onto her skin due to overexposure risks.

I have a lady who has no nail and occasionally we make one and glue it on, but its only for special occasions. I use a tip cut to shape and sort of sculpt out on it a bit to get the right shape then paint it once its glued on. But as glue won't adhere permanently to skin it does only last a few days or so.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Yeah, I absolutely wouldn't use primer. I use young nails anyway, but still wouldn't want to use the protein bond.....
I was thinking make it very dry and clean with scrubfresh and apply, but it still seems odd

It's not just the primer to avoid

Never apply liquid & powder to soft tissue.
Monomer is an irritant. It IS overexposure if it touches skin, yours or the clients... It can and will lead to allergies.
Too many techs don't realize this. And too many have to give up because of it ...

This SHOULD have been enforced and taught thoroughly in your training... If not, WHY NOT????

A pre made tip stuck on with tip adhesive is the only correct advise that avoids overexposure

With gel you can cut the silk to size/shape, apply, soak in clear gel and carry on with the treatment-as we were taught in training. Xx

Ive made "prosthetic toenails" out of acrylic for a few of my clients that have missing toenails. I do not apply the acrylic to the skin if there isn't a nail there. You can use a form or You can use a tip and sculpt the body of the nail. This is just a temporary fix that your client can use for special occasions. She could use double sided tape that's used for garments to anchor it to her toe. You could apply polish to it or polish it like a french manicure. Unfortunately, this isn't something that is permanent. She could also keep it and reuse if she wanted to as long as she keeps it clean.

It's not just the primer to avoid

Never apply liquid & powder to soft tissue.
Monomer is an irritant. It IS overexposure if it touches skin, yours or the clients... It can and will lead to allergies.
Too many techs don't realize this. And too many have to give up because of it ...

This SHOULD have been enforced and taught thoroughly in your training... If not, WHY NOT????

A pre made tip stuck on with tip adhesive is the only correct advise that avoids overexposure

How do I make a pre made tip without using her toe as a template, so to speak. Can you give me step by step instructions please? I will be using gel as not trained in acrylics yet. Thanks

Sometimes when people have there toe nails there is still a tiny little bit of nail right at the very bottom of we're the nail would grow! You could then apply a sculpting form and build a toe nail from there.

If they have nothing at all I advice clients that they can buy stick on toe nails from boots etc i will minx/shellac/ polish it to match the rest of there toes and then if they want to stick it on they can!

I'm always losing toenails due to running :( mainly my little ones. Have such ugly feet :( thought is comment so I could see what you guys suggested and may get it done ;)

I asked my educator when I did my training with CND and she said you can do it if it is a one off sort of thing :) as for the overexposure etc

I have a client with no big toe nails, they were removed due to persistant ingrowing toe nails. It has left a slightly harder area than normal skin in the nail bed area. I'm trained in bio sculpture, and like sleeping beauty i use silk and sculpture gel to "make" a nail before covering it with colour gel.

So If I make a nail, then remove it and stick it back onto big toe with nail glue, the glue will be okay will it and not cause over exposure to client?

Latest posts

Back